Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I'm looking to level the front put and rather than running spacers I'm looking at the OME coils. My question is this. Can I use the factory bilsteins with this or will I need a longer strut?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I believe you can do this but I imagine the ride will not be very good. Even when run on 5100s (which are slightly longer than stock) the ride is quite stiff.
If you just want to level there is nothing wrong with just doing a small spacer.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Agree with above - you're better off using a spacer, than putting a stiffer spring on a soft OEM shock.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
a friend tried running OME coils on Bil5100 and then on the OME struts. He started with stock coils on the 5100 but felt it was too soft ( @2" ) so he grabbed the OME. Then he simply didn't like the ride so he grabbed the struts and described it as 'night and day' difference. If you're willing to shell out the money for coils, you might as well get a matched set. Spacers will do the job fine but leave you with a stock ride. If you're looking at coils for a firmer ride, its not much more for a full OME front than coils & 5100bils. You can also get pre-load spacers for the front if you want a cheap way to firm it up, but you will have less downtravel than with a tophat spacer.

·
Registered
762 Posts
^ Agree with MTyler. The OME shocks are designed to be matched with the coils and therefore handle the spring rate better than the factory shocks or Bilsteins would. I've had a truck with OME coils and shocks before, and the ride is sublime. I'd recommend it. But as said above, there's nothing really wrong with running a small spacer. It's cheap and really easy to install.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I love my ome ld coils and 5100 combo set on lowest setting. Over 2.5 inches of lift and a fine ride. Better than stock. H aww vent ran a sway bar in front for 8 years. Just my experience. I'm sure the ome struts are quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts