Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would share another 1/4" spacer option that I recently used for my lift install. This should work for any of the gen 2 Frontiers. The spacer itself is a polyurethane unit made for various Toyota models. However, a simple modification can be made to allow it to work for the Frontier strut assembly.

The inner and outer diameters of the spacer match up to the Frontier assembly perfectly. Measurements below for those who are curious:

The only issue is that the notches for the strut bolts are spaced equidistant whereas 2 of the Frontier strut bolts are positioned closer together:

This can be fixed with a simple modification using a dremel or similar tool. Since the spacer is made out of polyurethane, it takes little effort to expand the bolt notches.
Before vs after:

On the top hat:

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I wanted the 1/4" spacer to supplement bilstein 5100's set at 1.5" lift to effectively provide 2" of total lift, and it did so. I originally was going with a spacer developed specifically for the Frontier, but it was backordered so I took a chance on this.

Link to where I bought these below. They were about $28 shipped.

https://wheelersoffroad.com/i-30063265-1-4-thick-single-strut-top-plate-spacer-for-95-04-tacoma-96-02-4runner-99-06-tundra-whe-tps14-or-wor-tps14a.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Cool! Always down for more options. Let us know if there are any long term issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Figured I would share another 1/4" spacer option that I recently used for my lift install. This should work for any of the gen 2 Frontiers. The spacer itself is a polyurethane unit made for various Toyota models. However, a simple modification can be made to allow it to work for the Frontier strut assembly.

The inner and outer diameters of the spacer match up to the Frontier assembly perfectly. Measurements below for those who are curious:

The only issue is that the notches for the strut bolts are spaced equidistant whereas 2 of the Frontier strut bolts are positioned closer together:

This can be fixed with a simple modification using a dremel or similar tool. Since the spacer is made out of polyurethane, it takes little effort to expand the bolt notches.
Before vs after:

On the top hat:

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I wanted the 1/4" spacer to supplement bilstein 5100's set at 1.5" lift to effectively provide 2" of total lift, and it did so. I originally was going with a spacer developed specifically for the Frontier, but it was backordered so I took a chance on this.

Link to where I bought these below. They were about $28 shipped.

https://wheelersoffroad.com/i-30063265-1-4-thick-single-strut-top-plate-spacer-for-95-04-tacoma-96-02-4runner-99-06-tundra-whe-tps14-or-wor-tps14a.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting. I want to do something similar. Have you had any coil bucket contact running the 5100's at 1.5" with an extra 1/2" of lift from the spacer?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Curious on that ^ as well.
And how is the ride with the 1.5 Bilstein setting plus 1/2” (1/4”) spacer? I plan on going this route for the front as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Curious on that ^ as well.
And how is the ride with the 1.5 Bilstein setting plus 1/2” (1/4”) spacer? I plan on going this route for the front as well.
I used this same poly spacer with 5100s (set at lowest setting/no lift) with Alldogs Offroad lift coils. 2" total lift in the front. The ride is great.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks great! Does that mean the All Dogs coils are longer than stock?
Yes, the ADO coil is a little longer and little stiffer than stock And will give you 1.5“-2“ lift, depending whether you’re 4wd or 2wd. They recommend only using it on the lowest setting on the 5100. Really happy with the setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting. I want to do something similar. Have you had any coil bucket contact running the 5100's at 1.5" with an extra 1/2" of lift from the spacer?
The only time I've heard coil bucket contact (or what i believe to be CBC) was when off roading and undergoing some aggressive articulation. I've never had an issue on road. In fact, when the truck is up on jacks and the suspension is at max "natural" droop, there is still small amount of space between the coil bucket and UCA. So it realistically only becomes an issue if/when the suspension is extended beyond where the shock wants to stop, which should be rare...

I've had this setup for 2 years now and have been happy with it. No issues with parts failing or poor performance. The ride feels well balanced for what I use the truck for: daily driving, occasional off roading, and weekend truck loads of random home improvement items. However, it's my first experience lifting a truck (previous suspension experience with sports cars), so take my opinion for what it's worth. Ideally I'd like a little more lift, but that requires aftermarket UCA's which extends costs above the budget build I was going after.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only time I've heard coil bucket contact (or what i believe to be CBC) was when off roading and undergoing some aggressive articulation. I've never had an issue on road. In fact, when the truck is up on jacks and the suspension is at max "natural" droop, there is still small amount of space between the coil bucket and UCA. So it realistically only becomes an issue if/when the suspension is extended beyond where the shock wants to stop, which should be rare...

I've had this setup for 2 years now and have been happy with it. No issues with parts failing or poor performance. The ride feels well balanced for what I use the truck for: daily driving, occasional off roading, and weekend truck loads of random home improvement items. However, it's my first experience lifting a truck (previous suspension experience with sports cars), so take my opinion for what it's worth. Ideally I'd like a little more lift, but that requires aftermarket UCA's which extends costs above the budget build I was going after.
Thanks, sorry for the late reply!

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Is there much call for a 1/4 spacer?
Can make them out of steel and aluminum,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts