Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (20,000km)
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Agreed. It's not like one viscosity is cheaper than tne other, so why risk it?
Except it is here...at the dealer, oil change with 5w30 synth is about $110. 0w20 change is $69. Don't ask me why....

·
Registered
2016 Pro4x 6mt
147 Posts
Are dealers really saving money by buying only 0w20, which is only available as a synthetic, rather than carrying both 0w-20 and conventional 5w30?
Maybe "saving money" isn't the best term. But, yes.
If you buy 110gals of 5w30 every 3 months, and 550gals of 0w20 in the same period. It is easier to absorb that cost into the barrels, but, a slight increase in rotation.
Plus, there is also the fact of keeping multiple drums, and now you need 2, 55gal drums on the tote, etc.
From a shop standpoint, better/easier to use 1 common drum. Plus, less chance of a "oops"

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,653 Posts
Check out this thread. Absolutely no disrespect intended, but if you know how to read those specs, it will put an end to the discussion of tighter tolerances in late model engines. It's all marketing bullchit.
www.clubfrontier.org/threads/engine-oil-change.361566/#post-3836447
Yep. If anything changed over the years, it's metallurgy. And even that may be subject to debate because a good engineer looks to design something that achieves the desired result for the lowest possible cost, and that may even work to the alloys used in the block, pistons, rods, crank, heads, etc.

Reactions: The other Sean

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check out this thread. Absolutely no disrespect intended, but if you know how to read those specs, it will put an end to the discussion of tighter tolerances in late model engines. It's all marketing bullchit.
www.clubfrontier.org/threads/engine-oil-change.361566/#post-3836447
I pretty much stopped reading after stumbling across this jewel "There is a certain peace of mind that comes from knowing you have a thick cushion of oil between moving parts." The person that wrote that clearly doesn't understand how hydrodynamic oiling works.

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
84 Posts
I just found out on my first oil change at the dealer (1030 miles), that it's $20 cheaper than my Outback. Subaru required synthetic 0/20w on their engines, charged $75, 5 qts plus filter and labor. My dealer is $55. I'm happy. And they used 0w/20.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I pretty much stopped reading after stumbling across this jewel "There is a certain peace of mind that comes from knowing you have a thick cushion of oil between moving parts." The person that wrote that clearly doesn't understand how hydrodynamic oiling works.
Yes, it was apparent you have a reading deficiency.
Now you've removed all doubt.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2018 Frontier was bought Dec 2 and came with Mobil 1 5W30 from the Nissan dealer with a 5000 mile change interval. I live in TN and we don’t get the cold temperatures y’all are talking about, although we got close 2 weeks ago. Lol in great cold temps I can see the advantage until summertime as the 0W20 will flow through the engine easier in extreme cold. But I wouldn’t use it in the summertime or if I was towing or some other heavy work on the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The auto manufacturers are not necessarily interested in making vehicles that last as long as possible. Especially when it comes to transmissions, it is blatantly obvious they have some longevity target where they say a certain life is good enough. Why not omit dipsticks and associated hardware to save millions if the transmission generally lives long enough without an oil change. Makes sense if customer acceptance is there.

Now look at the engine and it too will have some sort of acceptable lifetime. I have no idea what Nissan is thinking for an acceptable lifetime but they apparently are willing to bet the odds are in their favor even though they seem to be driving to a 0W20 oil requirement. Is 0W20 the optimal weight in all temperature and usage environments? No, but in Nissan's eyes it may be good enough. So again, why not simplify and standardize to save more money. Add on top of this the pressure to run thinner oils to improve mileage, even if the gains are minute.

I've got a 2020 Frontier 3.8L. I'm fairly far south right now and so I'll probably run 5W30 this summer. The 3.8L is no mythical beast that defies heat related viscosity changes.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
129 Posts
Reliability is a fine balance. If you make a bunch of crap that will blow up as soon as you're out of warranty, word gets around. Nissan's reputation for CVT issues in their lineup is well known by many. I don't think that any smart automaker is making vehicles that are just reliable enough to save a few pennies if it means that they are known for making crap that blows up 5 miles past warranty.

This isn't the 1970s and 1980s anymore. Any vehicle, no matter the make, will generally make it to 100k and more with routine maintenance. Change your fluids when you're supposed to and you'll be fine. Going one or two steps up or down on oil viscosity will not blow up your engine as long as you change it when you're supposed to. There are always going to be outliers of course. Toyota is known for reliability, but while some people make it to 400k miles in their Camry with nothing but oil changes, not every single Toyota will.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
My wife’s new car recommends 5w30 in the colder months and 10w30 in the hotter months.

Reactions: Gdubz
21 - 33 of 33 Posts