Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Pro-4X (20,000km)
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post this up here for information purposes for anyone that has run into the 0W20 vs 5W30 concerns when a dealer uses the 0W20 for a fill. Not directly specific to the Frontier, but helps alleviate some of my concern. For some reason beyond my understanding, the dealers here and Nissan Canada have told me (in writing) there is a warranty bulletin saying to use 0W20, but REFUSE to show me a copy. Like WTF! I also have a formal support case opened with Nissan Canada in case a "motor oil" related issue ever arises....highly strange IMO.

Anyways, I will continue to use their 0W20 option in the winter months, where it might actually be a better option here (I used 0W20 this winter and after carefully listening to startup dozens of times, was a bit consoled with the smooth, noiseless starts. I will use a different mechanic for summer changes where I can get a 5W30 without the ridiculous costs the dealer wants - and I don't actually trust their mechanics to use it even when asked.

Don't want to start the discussion again as this has been beat to death, but this was the first form of any type of document I have seen so just thought others may be interested. I know oil is "one of those topics".

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 SV VTP midnight magnetic black
25 Posts
The memo says use 0w20 where recommended. It is not recommended nor is it the factory fill on any 4.0 frontier up to 2020. 0w20 is now recommended for the 3.8 though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The memo says use 0w20 where recommended. It is not recommended nor is it the factory fill on any 4.0 frontier up to 2020. 0w20 is now recommended for the 3.8 though.
If I’m reading correctly, further down it says 0w20 can be used in place of 5w30.

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
The way I read it is different. The bulletin came out in 2017 and states that for MY (Model Year) 2017, Genuine Nissan Motor Oil 0W20 is recommended and is the factory fill on most models. Then, later it states it is approved for use in place of 5W30...approved alternative and is recommended to be used. Later, it encourages the dealer to use 0W20 as the standard oil in the service dept. Having worked as a Nissan tech, that suggests to me that they are saying it can be used in the majority of Nissan engines that are serviced there...and I know that 5W30 has been the recommended or preferred oil in most Nissans going back several decades. It would have been nice if they better defined what "most models" includes and/or what models may not be included, if any.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

The operative term is "Therefore, for warranty purposes...." Nothing about "for maximum engine life" with 0w-20.
Also, they are not saying any 0w-20 is acceptable. It clearly states "Nissan Genuine 0w-20 oil." It doesn't say it once, it says it six times.
Also, this notice is put out by Nissan Canada, Not Nissan USA.
The notice is dated January 2017 with a Copyright of 2016. Yet, the owner manuals for Frontiers 2017, 2018, and 2019 all recommend 5W-30, so there is a significant conflict in these recommendations.

I'll be sticking with 5w-30, thank you. I haven't seen one single good reason to change.

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
922 Posts
View attachment 329611

The operative term is "for warranty purposes." Nothing about "for maximum engine life" with 0w-20.
Also, they are not saying any 0w-20 is acceptable. It clearly states "Nissan Genuine 0w-20 oil." It doesn't say it once, it says it six times.
Also, this notice is put out by Nissan Canada, Not Nissan USA.
The notice is dated January 2017 with a Copyright of 2016. Yet, the owner manuals for Frontiers 2017, 2018, and 2019 all recommend 5W-30, so there is a significant conflict in these recommendations.

I'll be sticking with 5w-30, thank you. I haven't seen one single good reason to change.
Agreed. It's not like one viscosity is cheaper than tne other, so why risk it?

·
Registered
2018 SV Midnight Edition + 2008 Avalon XL
54 Posts
I called my dealer. They said they will only use 5w-30. Nissan bulk oil for conventional or mobil 1 for synthetic. For the vq40 the tech told me to use 5w-30 conventional and warned against synthetic. I found that rather odd.

He basically told me I sounded like I knew what I was doing and there was no reason for me to ever get service there for maintenance.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just thought I would post this up here for information purposes for anyone that has run into the 0W20 vs 5W30 concerns when a dealer uses the 0W20 for a fill. Not directly specific to the Frontier, but helps alleviate some of my concern. For some reason beyond my understanding, the dealers here and Nissan Canada have told me (in writing) there is a warranty bulletin saying to use 0W20, but REFUSE to show me a copy. Like WTF! I also have a formal support case opened with Nissan Canada in case a "motor oil" related issue ever arises....highly strange IMO.

Anyways, I will continue to use their 0W20 option in the winter months, where it might actually be a better option here (I used 0W20 this winter and after carefully listening to startup dozens of times, was a bit consoled with the smooth, noiseless starts. I will use a different mechanic for summer changes where I can get a 5W30 without the ridiculous costs the dealer wants - and I don't actually trust their mechanics to use it even when asked.

Don't want to start the discussion again as this has been beat to death, but this was the first form of any type of document I have seen so just thought others may be interested. I know oil is "one of those topics".
Sounds to me like they maybe don't want to have to have too many different viscosity oils to store?

My dealer in Nova Scotia used 0W20 for my last oil change and it'll be the last oil change they do for me. I want what is recommended in my manual, not what Nissan wants to use to cut costs.

Walmart has Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic on sale for $26/4L right now.

Car dealers are getting ridiculous in the name of "efficiency". Look at the Honda issues where many of the CRVs won't produce heat in the winter. Honda's solution is to try and not stop while driving.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Frontier CCSB VS 4WD
51 Posts
warned against synthetic

Did he give any specif reasoning not to run synthetic? I run conventional myself but am curious as to why he would warn against it.

Reactions: Xclimation

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did he give any specif reasoning not to run synthetic? I run conventional myself but am curious as to why he would warn against it.

He made it sound like it is an oil consumption issue. It baffled me as most members on here run into high miles using mobil 1 no?

The only other thing I could think of was that my frontier is still under 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gotta remember just because the dealer states it doesn't mean it's accurate...

This dealer lists Mobil 1 5w30 as recommended for Frontiers.

Linky

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gotta remember just because the dealer states it doesn't mean it's accurate...

This dealer lists Mobil 1 5w30 as recommended for Frontiers.

Linky
Absolutely!

I personally plan to use plain silver mobil 1 synthetic and oem filters until my warranty is up with 3,750 mile oic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The old heavier weight oil is better because grandpa said so story, sorry i'm not buying. Todays engines aren't exactly grandpas 350 chebby that came with loose tolerances from the factory

·
Registered
719 Posts
Get yourself an old service manual and you will find engine tolerances haven't changed since the late 1950's right up to today.
I've looked in service manuals and technical specifications, and the tolerances are not the same in newer engines. You have evidence otherwise?

·
Registered
2016 Pro4x 6mt
147 Posts
My Tacoma came with 0w20 factory fill. Hell, they didn't even want to change oil until 10k. I pushed it at 5k(bought new 7/18)
My Frontier, was serviced by Nissan dealers, by the original owner, and had 0w20. I changed it at 25k, with 5w30 M1, and been doing that every 5k since.
No reason not to run synth. At all. Even new engines are coming with it. The break in myths are just that.
If you're burning oil, consider how much per 1k, and go from there. If it is excessive, do a leak down test.

When I do a bike, I run conventional on initial break in, only due to how much I change the oil. I have seated rings with amsoil.

The dealers are filling with 0w20 because they can get away with buying 1 type. Cheaper. End of story.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
129 Posts
Are dealers really saving money by buying only 0w20, which is only available as a synthetic, rather than carrying both 0w-20 and conventional 5w30?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The old heavier weight oil is better because grandpa said so story, sorry i'm not buying. Todays engines aren't exactly grandpas 350 chebby that came with loose tolerances from the factory
I've looked in service manuals and technical specifications, and the tolerances are not the same in newer engines. You have evidence otherwise?
Check out this thread. Absolutely no disrespect intended, but if you know how to read those specs, it will put an end to the discussion of tighter tolerances in late model engines. It's all marketing bullchit.
www.clubfrontier.org/threads/engine-oil-change.361566/#post-3836447

1 - 20 of 33 Posts