Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a Sirius radio which currently uses an FM Modulator. As we all know this is mediocre sound quality. The current radio in my Frontier is the stock (non-upgraded) radio. It does not have a satellite or multi-cd button. I would like to be able to connect my Sirius via Auxillary for that crystal clear sound.

I've already talked to a couple audio places who all said that I have two options:

1. put an aftermarket radio in (id prefer not to do that).
2. upgrade my current system to the higher end radio Nissan offers.

Has anyone else ever upgraded their stock system to the higher end one offered? Any ideas of the cost? I have emails into Nissan already about this and have also called them but evidently I call at bad times and can't seem to get ahold of anyone! Does anyone know of any other options for possibly getting an AUX line put in?

Any input would be great!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could always use one of these for adding AUX inputs:

PAC aux adapter+nissan - Google Search

i've looked at those before, but they require the radio to have a satellite, multi channel, channel, or category option available. The stock radio that came with my Frontier doesnt have those which is why im having an issue with getting my Sirius radio hooked up directly. Thanks for the response though!

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
i've looked at those before, but they require the radio to have a satellite, multi channel, channel, or category option available. The stock radio that came with my Frontier doesnt have those which is why im having an issue with getting my Sirius radio hooked up directly. Thanks for the response though!
Ah poop, my bad, never used a PAC.

Looks like you may end up having to install an aftermarket HU if you want an AUX (direct) input for your Sirius.
Don't really know of any other easier way to achieve it.

Somebody on here did open their OEM radio up to add an AUX input.
This required soldering and circuit knowledge obviously.
I'll see if I can find that thread for ya.
EDIT: here it is: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/enabling-factory-aux-input-low-end-cd-player-32405/

Also, they make the modulators that hook into the antenna and interrupt outside signals.
With those at least you won't get signal bleed over on top of your Sirius.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Looks like you may end up having to install an aftermarket HU if you want an AUX (direct) input for your Sirius.

EDIT: here it is: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/enabling-factory-aux-input-low-end-cd-player-32405/

Also, they make the modulators that hook into the antenna and interrupt outside signals.

I'm not exactly confident in myself soldering things to my radio lol, although everything did make sense what the guy did. I currently have the direct modulator installed and get OK sound with it. I'm being rather greedy in wanting the CD quality sound. There is a remarkable difference between the sound I get from the Sirius radio and a CD, and if I have my windows down and am driving, the radio can be maxed out volume-wise and not be at a level that I would prefer to hear it at. Whereas if I have the CD player on and the windows down, everything is crazy loud at a much lower volume. It's tolerable the setup I have now, I just would love to find some way to get better quality sound. :(

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
its time to do what most of us on this board have done .. pull, trash, and reinstall a decent head unit/speaker kit.

your in the right section to see how its done, and the options that you have.

d-mo

·
Registered
323 Posts
its time to do what most of us on this board have done .. pull, trash, and reinstall a decent head unit/speaker kit.

your in the right section to see how its done, and the options that you have.

d-mo
Exactly. Miles better than the stocker h/u and speakers.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
I have to agree with these guys an aftermarket HU will blow away the stock radio, especially the basic OEM model.
I couldn't believe mine didn't play MP3 cds when I first bought my truck. :thatswck:
Do yourself a favor, save some coin, narrow down the choices in the meantime and snag a new HU, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
21 Posts

For the record, I have an '09 SE with the base radio like the OP, and I found this mod and planned on doing it. Took the stock radio out and all apart, and the circuit board is very different than what that post says. I'm an electrical engineer, so I knew what I was looking for, but none of it is there anymore on 09s. I know they changed the mounting and faceplate for 09, but I guess they changed the actual unit too.

Doesn't sound like you were going to go that route, but just FYI to save someone the effort of tearing their radio apart for nothing.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
For the record, I have an '09 SE with the base radio like the OP, and I found this mod and planned on doing it. Took the stock radio out and all apart, and the circuit board is very different than what that post says. I'm an electrical engineer, so I knew what I was looking for, but none of it is there anymore on 09s. I know they changed the mounting and faceplate for 09, but I guess they changed the actual unit too.

Doesn't sound like you were going to go that route, but just FYI to save someone the effort of tearing their radio apart for nothing.
So what did you end up doing (maybe give the OP some ideas)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Haven't done anything as of yet, sort of in the same predicament as he is right now. I didn't want to replace the HU, but it's about the only option. I looked at putting the upgraded factory rockford in and it's just not worth it. You'll pay more for a factory head unit that can't do half what an aftermarket can for a whole lot less money. I'll live with it for now, but agreed with everyone else here, only good option is a new HU.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is why my '09 Equator currently has a 1999 Pioneer DEH-P900R (been in 4 different vehicles, a little beat up, but works 100%). Couldn't deal with having no aux input. Sadly it's increased power (vs the stock HU) reveals how bad the stock speakers are.

It'll have to do until I can put a system together, but at least it allows me to plug in my iPod.

·
Registered
225 Posts

You may have saved me some time. I'm an EE too and figured that I should be able to do something but I haven't pulled out the HU yet. How far into it did you delve? Did you stop as soon as you saw that the board was different or did you come across something that made you think it wasn't feasable? I'm going to be pulling my dash apart in a couple of weeks to install a Garmin Nuvi and was planning on taking out the HU to tinker with it and hopefully run my Nuvi's speaker outputs through the stereo instead of through the dock's amplifier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not an electrical engineer so me ripping apart the HU is a no go. And yea, i'm not all about ripping apart dash to install something aftermarket either.. at least not yet anyways. But if someone happens to stumble upon some solution.. for the love of god post it!!! :comphead:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took the entire HU apart down to having just the circuit board by itself to give it a good looking over. When I saw that the board didn't match the one in that post, I tried to find any mention on the board about an AUX input or anything that might be useful. I spent about 30 minutes with a magnifying glass and there does not appear any "easy" solution on the 09 boards.

That being said, it's not impossible and there are ways to hack around it. On an older vehicle I had a cheap Pioneer head unit that I soldered the leads from a headphone jack into the inputs of the CD player amplifier IC. Pop in a CD with silence on it, and push play on the IPOD and it would play through the stock system. This is certainly feasible on this headunit, along with a host of other ideas, including ditching AM radio if you don't listen to it. I didn't do any of that because personally I'm very hesitant of doing this kind of hacking to my new truck, but that's just me.

If you do decide to go that route, let us know what you come up with and how you go about it.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Im not an electrical engineer so me ripping apart the HU is a no go. And yea, i'm not all about ripping apart dash to install something aftermarket either.. at least not yet anyways. But if someone happens to stumble upon some solution.. for the love of god post it!!! :comphead:
no matter what you do, its going to require you to remove the dash. just buy a powered FM transmitter and be done with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey guys,

i just bought a 2010 SEv6, 4x4, CC... I want to upgrade the radio so i can have an aux port, and a USB connector as well. According to the guys at my Nissan dealership since i have the standard single disc player i don't really have any options to use the factory radio but use an FM transmitter.

With that said... there are lots of nice HU's out there that have all the features i want and more, but the faceplate that covers the radio and the AC controls concerns me. IF i replace the radio that may be an eye sore.. I have found that Crutchfield.com has a replacement faceplate for the 09' frontier. Are these face-plates the same on both the 10' and 09' model? Are there any places other than Crutchfield.com, that anyone would recommend, that sell the kits that would replace the factory faceplate? How hard is it to take off the front faceplate? Hopefully it is held in by screws and not stupid plastic clips that break the first time you remove them (even gently).

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
if you buy your radio from crutchfield you get the adapter harness and the mounting kit with it. you can order the mounting kit from just about anywhere. google is your friend. OH, and if you order from cruchfield you get the master sheet that shows you how to take the dash apart. 09 and 10 are the same as far as i know.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think I'm going to go with an Audiovox FMM-100. It is a hard wired FM modulator, so it plugs directly into the back of the head unit and the antenna plugs into it. There is a remote switch to enable the unit, which will disable the antenna input. FM quality is perfectly fine for me. This unit has good review.

When I do the install, I'll make a post.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts