Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tweeters and front 6x9 are pretty much toast i.e. if I raise the volume past 10 then it goes to sh*t...you can't even hear lyrics to music.

I've been reading through this link > http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/comprehensive-audio-diy-research-install-guide-85682/ awesome resource

I figured I'd ask for any recommendations on speakers. I plan on having the truck for a while but I am no audiophile so I don't need top of the line...I consider myself a value guy. Any advantage in upgrading the 6x9 to a 3way? What kind of RMS ratings should I look for in both types of speakers that I want to replace. I am still trying to read up on all of the nuances of speakers to make sure I get the best possible fit for my money. Ideally I would like a "plug and play" solution as I am in the process of moving and don't have a lot of tools accessible at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Any advantage in upgrading the 6x9 to a 3way?
Going from a 2-way 6x9 to a 3-way 6x9 might give you a little better sound, to your ankles. Do you have OEM speakers in the upper dash?

What kind of RMS ratings should I look for in both types of speakers that I want to replace.
With the OEM head unit, it probably won't matter much since any speaker above about 20w will be over what the factory HU puts out.

Ideally I would like a "plug and play" solution as I am in the process of moving and don't have a lot of tools accessible at the moment.
How long does it take you to move?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Going from a 2-way 6x9 to a 3-way 6x9 might give you a little better sound, to your ankles. Do you have OEM speakers in the upper dash?

With the OEM head unit, it probably won't matter much since any speaker above about 20w will be over what the factory HU puts out.

How long does it take you to move?
1) Everything is stock/OEM. So going from a 2way to 3way doesn't require anything extra besides being concerned with dimensions?
2)Good to know
3)60-75 days

Any recommendations on brand or models?

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
1) Everything is stock/OEM. So going from a 2way to 3way doesn't require anything extra besides being concerned with dimensions?
2)Good to know
3)60-75 days

Any recommendations on brand or models?
Depends on the budget.

Go to Crutchfield.com, use the vehicle fitment guide, and you'll see a lot of good choices. You might be able to find the same speakers at a lower cost elsewhere, but Crutchfield gives you evewrything you need to install (including wiring harnesses and speaker moiunting adaptors, if needed).

Optoion: You can improve the sound quality (without spending a lot) if you skip doing a 2-way/3-way and instead install a budget component system with the tweeters in the dash and the mids in the doors. But this all depends on if you really want nice sound for your money, or if you just want something that works.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on the budget.

Go to Crutchfield.com, use the vehicle fitment guide, and you'll see a lot of good choices. You might be able to find the same speakers at a lower cost elsewhere, but Crutchfield gives you evewrything you need to install (including wiring harnesses and speaker moiunting adaptors, if needed).

Optoion: You can improve the sound quality (without spending a lot) if you skip doing a 2-way/3-way and instead install a budget component system with the tweeters in the dash and the mids in the doors. But this all depends on if you really want nice sound for your money, or if you just want something that works.
So the Nissan guide says the front dash has 2inch tweeters but I can't find them on Crutchfield is that because they are a proprietary size?

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
So the Nissan guide says the front dash has 2inch tweeters but I can't find them on Crutchfield is that because they are a proprietary size?
Sort of... you can fit a 2.75" (Memphis Audio makes one that drops right in for about $40) but most just put the tweeter of a 6-1/2" or 6x9" component set up there and the midrange in the door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts