Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so I'm turning to you offer advice. I'll try to make a long story short but in February of nineteen I bought a new to me 2008 Nissan Frontier Nismo. I instantly fell in love with the truck and really enjoyed it for a couple weeks and then... The service light came on so I took it back to the dealership I bought it from because they offered at 12-month 12000 mile warranty and I got them too see what was going on with it. 5 days later they called me and told me it was all taken care of and I could come pick up the truck. I got there in the mechanic told me that it's still running a little rough and that it needed to learn new driving habits. I assume that was something they should have done for me but whatever I was excited to have the truck back until 3 days later totally stranded in Home Depot parking lot for 6 hours waiting for my son to bring me some tools might I mention it was Friday after work. I finally sound of blown fuse which was the AT/ ECU fuse so I replaced it the vehicle started up and I gently drove her home by the time I got there I didn't even have enough power to make it up my driveway. So again i call the dealership and tell them what's happening. Finally nearly 3 weeks later they call me and tell me they will come tow it to the shop and take a look.... After 14 weeks of unreturned calls and me basically giving up on the truck i got a call back from the original salesman saying they finally figured out what was wrong with my truck which by the way was exactly what I told them it was when they put a new ECU and TCM in the truck but they had to send it to the Nissan dealership so it could be reprogrammed. Then a few days later they call me and tell me I can come pick it up and when I get there the mechanic says I need to drive at 20 or 40 miles or so under normal driving conditions until the computer relearn the habits. As soon as I got behind the wheel and started driving it back home I remembered why I liked this truck so much and she was slowly getting back in my good graces.. and for the next month it got me back and forth to work everyday was fun to drive and then the service light comes back on so instead of taking it back to the dealership because I'm no Certified mechanic but I can figure it out if I'm given enough time and cold enough beer. So my obd originally said cylinder one misfire I did some research and went and bought new plugs and boots and I swap the coil packs on 1 and 4 to see if it was the number one that was misfiring and change the oil and basic maintenance. I cleared the codes and took it for a spin which went good for about 10 mins.... I run codes again and now I get a random cylinder misfire a mass air flow circuit open or something and intake air temperature of two High. after messing with it all day and cleaning the air flow sensor and yes I only used the sensor cleaning Solution by CRC, I thought I could make the two mile trip to parts store. At first it idle good and I thought maybe I might have done something right but after backing out of the driveway as soon as I put it in gear I had no power it bog down Superbad and was clunking under the hood sounded like when I press on the gas so I left it parked in the Street jumped on the trusty longboard and went and got a new mass air flow sensor a new air filter and some bg injector cleaner. I'm about to put in the new parts and pray I can get it running so I can get to work tomorrow. my question is seeing how that was already a $200 bill and the history I've had with this truck I don't know for sure if I'm going in the right direction. I'll check for vacuum leaks I checked all my sensor grounding wires and my wiring on the sensor to the engine and into the computer and nothing stood out that I could see and I'm not leaking any fluids. I'm a single dad with two kids about to graduate high school so I can't be throwing too much money away right now.. I'm not sure if anybody will even read this post or if it's comment worthy but if anybody who's had similar issues or maybe can even tell from my codes or description if I'm heading in the right idea directions or if I'm way off or if its even worth it because my next option is to drive it or at this pint push it through the front window of the place i got it toss the salesman the key as i toss the mechanic the finger with my other hand and ride into the sunset on my board and try to find something else because I need something reliable so thank you for any input I may receive..

·
Registered
922 Posts
Don’t blame you for wanting to roll it through their front window.. all I can do is wish you some good luck! Hope you can get this figured out soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, so I'm turning to you offer advice. I'll try to make a long story short but in February of nineteen I bought a new to me 2008 Nissan Frontier Nismo. I instantly fell in love with the truck and really enjoyed it for a couple weeks and then... The service light came on so I took it back to the dealership I bought it from because they offered at 12-month 12000 mile warranty and I got them too see what was going on with it. 5 days later they called me and told me it was all taken care of and I could come pick up the truck. I got there in the mechanic told me that it's still running a little rough and that it needed to learn new driving habits. I assume that was something they should have done for me but whatever I was excited to have the truck back until 3 days later totally stranded in Home Depot parking lot for 6 hours waiting for my son to bring me some tools might I mention it was Friday after work. I finally sound of blown fuse which was the AT/ ECU fuse so I replaced it the vehicle started up and I gently drove her home by the time I got there I didn't even have enough power to make it up my driveway. So again i call the dealership and tell them what's happening. Finally nearly 3 weeks later they call me and tell me they will come tow it to the shop and take a look.... After 14 weeks of unreturned calls and me basically giving up on the truck i got a call back from the original salesman saying they finally figured out what was wrong with my truck which by the way was exactly what I told them it was when they put a new ECU and TCM in the truck but they had to send it to the Nissan dealership so it could be reprogrammed. Then a few days later they call me and tell me I can come pick it up and when I get there the mechanic says I need to drive at 20 or 40 miles or so under normal driving conditions until the computer relearn the habits. As soon as I got behind the wheel and started driving it back home I remembered why I liked this truck so much and she was slowly getting back in my good graces.. and for the next month it got me back and forth to work everyday was fun to drive and then the service light comes back on so instead of taking it back to the dealership because I'm no Certified mechanic but I can figure it out if I'm given enough time and cold enough beer. So my obd originally said cylinder one misfire I did some research and went and bought new plugs and boots and I swap the coil packs on 1 and 4 to see if it was the number one that was misfiring and change the oil and basic maintenance. I cleared the codes and took it for a spin which went good for about 10 mins.... I run codes again and now I get a random cylinder misfire a mass air flow circuit open or something and intake air temperature of two High. after messing with it all day and cleaning the air flow sensor and yes I only used the sensor cleaning Solution by CRC, I thought I could make the two mile trip to parts store. At first it idle good and I thought maybe I might have done something right but after backing out of the driveway as soon as I put it in gear I had no power it bog down Superbad and was clunking under the hood sounded like when I press on the gas so I left it parked in the Street jumped on the trusty longboard and went and got a new mass air flow sensor a new air filter and some bg injector cleaner. I'm about to put in the new parts and pray I can get it running so I can get to work tomorrow. my question is seeing how that was already a $200 bill and the history I've had with this truck I don't know for sure if I'm going in the right direction. I'll check for vacuum leaks I checked all my sensor grounding wires and my wiring on the sensor to the engine and into the computer and nothing stood out that I could see and I'm not leaking any fluids. I'm a single dad with two kids about to graduate high school so I can't be throwing too much money away right now.. I'm not sure if anybody will even read this post or if it's comment worthy but if anybody who's had similar issues or maybe can even tell from my codes or description if I'm heading in the right idea directions or if I'm way off or if its even worth it because my next option is to drive it or at this pint push it through the front window of the place i got it toss the salesman the key as i toss the mechanic the finger with my other hand and ride into the sunset on my board and try to find something else because I need something reliable so thank you for any input I may receive..
Before you try the shotgun approach, I suggest that you take it to another repair shop and let them diagnose the problem. Make a list of everything that you've checked or changed and of what the dealership has done to it. I have an '05 Frontier NISMO and I only had one major issue. The crank shaft position sensor died and I barely made it home in limp-home-mode. $35 later and an hour to change the part and it's back running strong! It sounds to me that the dealer put a used ECM in the truck and it's defective.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
Before you try the shotgun approach, I suggest that you take it to another repair shop and let them diagnose the problem. Make a list of everything that you've checked or changed and of what the dealership has done to it. I have an '05 Frontier NISMO and I only had one major issue. The crank shaft position sensor died and I barely made it home in limp-home-mode. $35 later and an hour to change the part and it's back running strong! It sounds to me that the dealer put a used ECM in the truck and it's defective.
This.

It's a chance the mechanic at the dealer you are using is only intelligent enough to read a code and swap a part and not do any actual diagnosis or critical thinking. Sometimes paying a diag fee at a different trusted shop is money ahead.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Auto transmission or manual?
If an auto check your radiator cap for the pink milkshake cross contamination defect. I'd bet that's your problem.

Don't mean to be rude but paragraphs are your friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn bro. Sorry to hear that. You may get more helpful responses if you post the exact codes you have encountered.
Here's a link to the FSM for your truck. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Frontier/2008_Frontier/
Auto transmission or manual?
If an auto check your radiator cap for the pink milkshake cross contamination defect. I'd bet that's your problem.

Don't mean to be rude but paragraphs are your friend.
i may rt
Damn bro. Sorry to hear that. You may get more helpful responses if you post the exact codes you have encountered.
Here's a link to the FSM for your truck. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Frontier/2008_Frontier/
This.

It's a chance the mechanic at the dealer you are using is only intelligent enough to read a code and swap a part and not do any actual diagnosis or critical thinking. Sometimes paying a diag fee at a different trusted shop is money ahead.
Thank you for the fsm. I need tha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts