Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 08 cc 5speed auto with 55k miles. I recently drained and filled tranny. Not flush Getting first gear slippin only when cold and tranny is downshifting. Etc. Braking down to 10mph and getting back on gas. Its a sec slip before it goes (rpms raise but doesn't go) I can't duplicate at dealer. So they say screw me.
What could cause this? Think if tranny craps out I have case if out of warranty since its documented?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Could have moved debris/buildup from one spot in the valve body to another and stopped up an important passage. It happens when you change auto trans fluid after a substantial amount of miles..... I recommend against it. Anyways, in order to fix a problem a shop (dealer or not) has to reproduce it. I doubt they said "screw you" as much as they said, "it seems to be working fine for us." Next time, ride with the tech and point it out.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Just putting this out there, you made sure you used the correct trans fluid right? Matic J/S and not the GM stuff.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah been running amsoil syn.....

changed once at 20k and once now.

·
Super Moderator
10,781 Posts
You can use any fluid that meets the OEM specs.
I agree but does the Amsoil meet Nissans specs?
I prefer to play it safe and use the Nissan fluid. It does bother me that they seem to have it locked up in this area but that trans is a good one. It was great in my Frontier and my Pathfinder which is due for a change soon.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
19,768 Posts
I agree but does the Amsoil meet Nissans specs?
I prefer to play it safe and use the Nissan fluid. It does bother me that they seem to have it locked up in this area but that trans is a good one. It was great in my Frontier and my Pathfinder which is due for a change soon.

Clint

I'm using BG products universal ATF. My local dealer sells it with their transmission flush service. I had mine flushed at 23,900 miles after owning the truck for 2 years. I'm at almost 42,000 miles now and it still shifts and performs like new. I'm confident that it meets or exceeds Nissan Matic fluids. There is some flexibility written in the fluid specs.

·
Super Moderator
10,781 Posts
What would make me nervous is a trans is over $3000 plus labor and I'd hate to have to go to battle over that bill if the trans failed. It may not be right but I'd be more than depressed if I lost that battle.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
19,768 Posts
What would make me nervous is a trans is over $3000 plus labor and I'd hate to have to go to battle over that bill if the trans failed. It may not be right but I'd be more than depressed if I lost that battle.

Clint
How can you go wrong if the dealer put it in your transmission?

·
Super Moderator
10,781 Posts
Sorry if I confused you. Usually this isn't done by a Nissan Dealer. I was referring to if a person used an aftermarket fluid and had a tranmission failure. They then would tell you what the repair bill would be. At that point to get it fixed you'd have to foot the bill even if you battled it out after. Hope it make more sense now.

Clint

·
Registered
100 Posts
Transmission

My 05 started hesitating in overdrive, i did the transmission bypass hole in the transmission line in the radiator, flush the trans and all is fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,781 Posts
My 05 started hesitating in overdrive, i did the transmission bypass hole in the transmission line in the radiator, flush the trans and all is fine.
I missed that memo, LOL. Can you fill me in on the specifics of that method please?

Clint

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Use oem fluid or no leg to stand on.
Who misinformed you? So u only use nissan OEM engine oil? Think about your statement.......:laugh:

Btw amsoil universal AT syn fluid meets and exceeds nissan fluid.

Having your tranny flushed on a machine can be extremely tragic depending on what pressure they run it... I've heard plenty of horror stories bout tranny failures after bein on the machine. So be warned...

·
Super Moderator
19,768 Posts
Who misinformed you? So u only use nissan OEM engine oil? Think about your statement.......:laugh:

Btw amsoil universal AT syn fluid meets and exceeds nissan fluid.

Having your tranny flushed on a machine can be extremely tragic depending on what pressure they run it... I've heard plenty of horror stories bout tranny failures after bein on the machine. So be warned...
The machine does not apply any pressure on any part of the system. The transmission pump does all of the work of moving the fluid through the machine. The engine is running for the entire process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same intermittent symptom.

:sign7:I bought a used truck and realized that a test drive is not enough to determine the condition of the vehicle. Too bad I didn't carry a 10mm socket to check the tranny fluid. Haha.. since the truck is 80k there's no warranty. So, I fixed the timing chain tensioners myself, and replaced the radiator that leaks coolant into the trans. Truck drives okay after $ix tranny flushes, but acts up intermittently in cold weather or at an incline. I plan to do another tranny flush and valve body inspection for cloggage. Does anyone have any good advice? Thanks in advance.

:sign7:I presume because the trans pump stops and the debris drops the hydraulic pressure is restored.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts