Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys sorry about postng a new thred but I have looked untell I cant look any more. I just installed a clarion cx609 in a 09 cc from crutchfield. I got all the adapt and kits from them too. the problem I am havin is my fm sux. it seems to have good signal but you can hear noise or static in it. it is enough to drive you crazy. all other sources are good (mpc, cd and I think even am is fine) I have torn the dash apart so many times I can now do it in less than 10 sec.......lol I have checked all the connections moved the ground around and even took a coat hanger ant tryed radio with that (the coat hanger seems to make it better but spotty cuz you got to get it in there just right) I have called crutchfield a few times and they are stumped as well. today I checked all connections agen and tryed keepig the antenna away from the other wires with no luck. I almost want to say the problem is in the antenna adapter. I did check continuity (ohms) from antenna mast to end of plug on radio side and it showed 0 ohms. the truck now has 1300 miles on it and stock radio had good reception. I just dont know what the He?? I am missing. sorry for the long post but I am at wits end....... I have done a few radio installs in the past so I am not new to this but this is the first problem I have had like this....... :censor: :confused: :comphead:

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Could be a bad headunit, yes even though it's new.
Sounds like you tried about everything you could.
I would see if Crutchfield would be willing to let your return it and get another one.
If the new one still does it at least you will have eliminated the possibility that it's the deck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If the adapter reads 0 ohms that means it's good. Like ToddG said I would return the deck for a new one. You know that the stocker sounds fine so I would assume everything associated with the antenna is good, which leaves the new HU. I would return the adapter as well just to eliminate that as well.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
ToddG, that is a great recommendation. Crutchfield has a 30 satisfaction guaranteed policy so he should be able to return it for a new one. Also be sure they cover the return shipping cost, they usually do if the item is defective.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys I think that is what ill do. I cant think of anything else it could be. I could not find any posting on here about eletrical interfierance or other problems like that. I see that at least 10-15 people on here with 08-09 have replaced there hu and they take the same harness and adapter for the antenna so I know it can be done. the only other place I just thaught of is I read there is a antenna "lead" under the glove box I think it may have a connector on it I guess I should check and see just because that is the only thing I have not touched yet lol but it looks like I will return the radio.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
try another antenna adapter first. make sure that the antenna is making good contact with the adapter and the adapter is making good contact with the antenna input. if that doesnt help its the deck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you can also try running a small wire from the outer metal of the antenna adapter to your ground and see if that helps. Nissan antenna adapters have a tendency to be bad out of the box and they dont make the best connections to begin with.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
might wanna try one of those antenna noise filters, i dont if they do anything with fm static though...when i first got my truck, the mast was loose and cause some reception problems... i think its a consipiracy to make regular fm sound like crap so people switch to HD, but somehow all the spanish stations (i live in southern ca) are loud and clear, lol...

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
It is possible you have a short from the signal wire, inner wire, to ground, outer shield. I would check it with your meter and make sure it is open from the plug at the radio going back to the mast.

·
Registered
192 Posts
might wanna try one of those antenna noise filters, i dont if they do anything with fm static though...when i first got my truck, the mast was loose and cause some reception problems... i think its a consipiracy to make regular fm sound like crap so people switch to HD, but somehow all the spanish stations (i live in southern ca) are loud and clear, lol...
Not to threadjack, but as a quick side note, I've had HD radio for a couple years and LOVE it. I think its well worth a few extra bucks if you are upgrading to a new HU. The sound is better (though you notice the change more when you move from a car that has it to one that doesn't than the other way around), but the deal-maker for me is the HD2 stations. In urban areas, it basically doubles the stations you are willing to listen to.

/off my soapbox, back to your regularly scheduled troubleshooting.

This is probably obvious, but I'd try the cheapest/easiest solutions first. Triple check your connections, then (though I'm not sure if it would help or make it worse) trying to ground the adapter like Justice mentioned would be really cheap and easy (and easily reversible). Then I'd finally try replacing the HU at Crutchfield's cost. I wouldn't bother with the noise filters or boosters. I've read mixed, but mostly bad reviews on them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as soon as I get this radio figured out Ill install sat radio I have had it for the past 4 years and love it. when I got this truck (very first new veh I have ever owned) I told myself I would not touch it. well 1367 miles later here I am lol........ I miss the sat radio for the metal channel but it just drives me nuts to have somthing that you know should work and it dont like the radio........

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
i have the sirius hookup and the only thing i dont like is the static....just kidding, lol..

seriously though, the satellite works well. you still the minor inconveniences like no signal in parking garages, underpasses, etc. = so it should only take you 15 minutes to install the satellite...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the same clarion unit, i actually get better fm reception with mine than i did with the stock and also do using the xm. Well actually its not the reception per say, but the sound from the fm radio stations actually sounds cleaner and crisper. when i switch to xm i have to turn up the volume to make it sound better. with my stock speakers i usually have my volume up around 14-16 range, but when i go to xm i have to crank it up to 18-20 range. My usb connection on this deck works oposite. when i go to usb source or cd, its so clean and clear, i can actually turn it down to 12-16 on the volume. I think you might have got a bad unit if your fm reception is as bad as you say. Are you sure your stock unit got good reception to begin with, i mean did you analize it as much in the short time you had it? just a possiblity.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an updaate for ya if ya care.....lol I called crutchfield and told them the problem agen. they offer to rend a replacement hu 3 day air I asked if they could upgrade the order to next day air and he agreed. Wow what customer service. Wile I wait I put the stock HU in and much better I took it on a drive and may I say compaird to the clarion at this point it sounds like a million bucks :thatswck: so it has got to be in the HU. Ill see when it comes friday I guess :crikey:

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
That's great how Crutchfield handled the situation.
They can be a bit pricey, but they are authorized dealers for all they sell AND have excellent customer service.

Let us know how things turn out tomorrow after you get the new HU installed.

·
Registered
890 Posts
part of the problem could be the low sensitivity of the FM tuner in that head unit
FM Sensitivity 11 dBf

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
part of the problem could be the low sensitivity of the FM tuner in that head unit
FM Sensitivity 11 dBf
The lower you go the better you are I read retween 8-12 is verry good to have I dont think thats my problem. and the stations I am trying to get are very popular stations 3-4 of them and they all sound bad. salt lake city is about 20-25 miles from me so I know the sig is strong and actualy I can see the big white radio/radar tower up on the mountain next to my house (about 10 miles out) so I know sig is not my prob.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Curious how you will make out with this. I have a JVC kw-xg700 that also has poor reception - much worse than stock. Thankfully I rarely listen to the radio. Al my stuff also came from crutchfield.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts