Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
06 V6 4L SE
Coolant leak driver's side looking for help with diagnosis.
Couldn't see where leak was coming from but could see in vicinity of thermostat. Didn't think much and figured gasket at thermostat.i'm replacing the clutch so good time to do both.
Problem!! :( its not coming from thermostat and i had to take off AC compressor to confirm it wasn't at thermo.
Freaking hell.
Anyway I've attached photos of where it seems to come from but not 100 percent exactly where.
In photos you can see driver's side, with ac removed photos shows side of timing cover that is behind ac (ac is removed for photos)
Their is a gold nipple on timing cover where seems to be exit spot but not sure.

I pressurized the system and its a steady leak but real hard to see with steering etc.

If its timing cover at water pump any way i can make sure before taking cover off and if it needs to come off then the rear cover is my guess so big job.
Leak was already patched up with stop leak a few months back but that slowed but didn't stop. Now worse.

Any ideas would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea
Problem is I took radiator out to get a better look figuring it would need timing cover off.
Just don't know what is causing leak if behind tc
I have no oil leaks and no mixture with coolant and oil.
I'll take a fresh look tonight
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine was leaking in almost the same spot. Could see coolant on compressor, motor mount, etc. Turns out it was leaking from the bottom of the hose going into the thermostat. Jack up the driver's side, pull the tire and fender liner out. Gives a much clearer view.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to hook up all coolant hoses and look again.
Its not at thermostat and looks to be in vicinity at rear timing cover

question: if the water pump was leaking where would it leak?
I don't know the coolant passages inside rear timing cover to engine block. Just trying to understand if there is a possibility its leaking from timing cover.

Also it leaks with no pressure in system as well. Cold non running engine still leaks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Might also try replacing this inlet/gasket. That pipe contains the return lines for the bypass, heater, and throttle body. Any leak in one of those will run down and drip below. When I replaced mine it had a small pinhole on the bottom of the bypass inlet. Here are part numbers and price from dealership.

Inlet p/n: 21022-EA20A $35.90
Gasket p/n: 13050-31U05 $2.98

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks appreciate that. Going to clean up good hook hoses back and really get an eye in there.

If the O ring went bad on the water pump would it leak out the weep hole in this area? Just trying to think this out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the o-ring went bad then more than likely you will have coolant in the timing cover/oil. Any milkiness to your oil? If not I would be more inclined to look at external connections such as hoses and gaskets.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The amount of rust on that inlet pipe along with the lack of rust on the dipstick tube would lead me to think that your hose connections are leaking. The heater return line right behind the dipstick the clamp is very close to the end of the hose. Would be something to check.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for info
Oil is fine no mixture with coolant and no oil leaks or loss.
and yes it seems that connection would be the likely cause. But I just wasn't able to confirm location. Going to hook hoses and clean up then look for leak. really leaking bad which leans more to that connection as it rusts apart. I'm really hoping that's it.
I was thinking if just the coolant o ring went bad and coolant got past the o ring is there an exit for coolant to escape after weep hole.
Reason why is I brought into shop a while back during inspection and he thought coming from rear timing cover but we didn't have ac removed and he understood that.
I always go to worse scenario at 1st...

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
From below I usually look up to the highest point that is wet, based on the pictures where that wet brass bead is, is too low to be the culprit. Look at all the rust, it’s above all that or it wouldn’t be rusty. Anyone you know have a borescope you can borrow to look around with? You’d be able to see while staying safely away from moving parts and hot coolant while letting the truck run.
Good luck, hope it’s on the cheaper side and fixed soon.

Clint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts