Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,
Truck is described as in the title. Here is the truck presently. Very clean for a 2006:

Cap, TrailerHitch, OEM foglights, mudlaps and rear wheelhouse air dams are the only additons I've done. Other than that it is a 5speed, with A/C, Cruise and an AM/FM cassette radio, and factory carpeted floor mats. Yeah, kind of wimpy and very stock. (I'm going to store the Cap)

The tires are due to be replaced, so why not upsize just a wee bit. This is a picture that is identical to the Oem AlloyRim/Tire Combo I just ordered. 16X265/70 (stock on newer Frontiers). They are pulls from a new Frontier with just 30 miles on them.

The new tires will have a 2 1/2" diameter increase compared to the current stock 15x235/70 combo that is installed. It will fill the wheelwells about 1 1/4" and probably provide an overall ride height increase of 1 1/4".

Still, I'm considering doing the 1 1/2" front / 1" rear mini lift just for the extremely infrequent moments when I will install the cap and pull a trailer. I don't want too much lift because, well it's just not appropriate for this style of pedestrian truck and I have to lift my aging dogs into the bed a few times a week.

Considering using this basic kit, as I don't have any real 'performance' requirements:
PRG Frontier 1.5 x 1.0 inch Mini Kit

It's a much more basic approach as opposed to adding a leaf, or new shocks, etc... I suspect there might be some comprimises in ride quality or suspension travel... but it's a truck that never sees any kind of extreme use.

I'm just a bit bored with driving such a wimpy looking truck.... And I don't care if it is wimpy ( of course it is, it's a 2wd 2.5l 4cyl stripped XE), but I don't want it to look so wimpy.. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Any other bone stock XE or S drivers out there that have done such a minor lift and rim/tire size upgrade on their truck? Any insights or anecdotes?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I went with 255-70-16 as I didnt want to excede 1" increase in dia. as I tow an cant afford the excessive loss of torque, I found no need for a lift, but did go with a set of airbags in the rear for towing or hauling motorcycle in bed.I used the same rims as you as their cheap and plentiful on the web.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with 255-70-16 as I didnt want to excede 1" increase in dia. as I tow an cant afford the excessive loss of torque, I found no need for a lift, but did go with a set of airbags in the rear for towing or hauling motorcycle in bed.I used the same rims as you as their cheap and plentiful on the web.
My occasional towing will always be extremely lightweight cargo, so I'm not overly concerned. I have thought about the increase in tire circumfrence. I already downshift from 5th to 4th to maintain speeds on some high elevation climbs in Arizona (US) and Sonora (MX), I imagine the setup will make that happen more often. I've weighed that issue... I'll loose torque in my already underpowered wimpy rig... ;)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I used the same rims as you as their cheap and plentiful on the web.
Yeah, I really wanted the 18" rims that come with the newer Pro-4X trucks.. .and I found a nice set w/ tires mounted in Pennsylvania for $950. However, I'm in Arizona and the seller won't ship. Way tooo far to go for wheels. :eek: In the end, the 16" wheels with the highway tires will be sufficient to pretty up the truck and were very affordable (cheaper than the Pennsylvania package and it included shipping).

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Only the SL & Midnight Editions run 18" wheels. The Pro4X & Desert Runner style wheels are 16"ers.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I bought a set from a forum member on this forum who had them for 350 bucks up in Chandler. I kinda like these older style 16's myself .Don't be surprised if your little 4-banger utilizes 3rd and 2nd gear occasionally trying to maintain speed on the freeway.Pulling out of Phx going up Black Canyon freeway you'll be in 3rd at like 4800rpm doin 45-50 behind all the semi's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
(note, I am the original poster... prefer this login... just accidently started the thread with an old retired userid).

I received two of the rim/tire combos today... the other should arrive perhaps on Tuesday (can't imagine FedEX delivering on Sunday/Monday of Labor Day Weekend).

These are brand-new pulls from a left over 2019 Frontier with just 30 miles that had it's rims/tires upgraded right after the new owner took delivery. $800 for the 4 Hankook Dynapro HT 16x265/70 tires on the 16" Frontier/Xterra OEM Alloys, Balanced, Shipped from Texas.. Clever way to ship them via FedEx.. Carboard cut to protect front and back rim surfaces.. and the entire wheel wrapped in many layers of shrink wrap.

IMG_20200905_105259.jpg

Going to use the TPMS from my existing stock 15" wheels. Waiting on a new windshield washer reservoir and pump combo to arrive so I'm just pulling apart the truck once...

I also ordered the PRG Mini Lift Kit (1.5" up front / 1" in the rear), which will go on when I'm also ready to pull the fender wheel liner out to access the reservoir/pump.

Anyway, I think the wheels are going to dress up this old XE (I'm going to pull off and store the cap too). Itching to put it on, but will probably wait until next weekend. The width difference is impressive and it should improve the stance of the truck.

IMG_20200905_105518.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mini-Lift Kit and Rim/Tire Combo were installed over the weekend. I recycled the TPMS valves from the old rims and moved them to the new rims. Works great.

The Cap comes off tomorrow, but here's a look today.

Impressions so far is that I have very little difference in torque... I don't feel any loss with the larger circumference of the new rim/tire combo.

Overall ride is smoother, but that is to be expected with newer taller wider tires.

The truck sits between 2 1/2" - 3" higher overall. It do notice a little more body roll, not much, but when pushing it, with it's center of gravity moved slightly higher, it will lean a bit.

Definitely notice the difference getting into the truck.. It's not a climb, but entry is different. My wife noticed and commented on it.

The tire width is very good and gives the truck a much nicer stance.

It really doesn't look as wimpy as before. Not bad for a 14 year old 2WD Basic truck. LOL!!!! 😆

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Much better! Doesn’t look wimpy anymore.. wheels look great! Post up some pics when you take your topper off, I’m wanting to take mine off but hate for it to be taking up space.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
When your cap/topper comes off you'll notice a nice difference in handling. All that weight up so high is a huge detriment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When your cap/topper comes off you'll notice a nice difference in handling. All that weight up so high is a huge detriment.
Definitely. I always take it off when not in use. However, my HOA is become 'particular' and I'm not allowed to store it suspended from the ceiling of the carport, as it can be 'somewhat' seen from the road. We aren't allowed to have sheds on our property either. I just can't bear to spend $30 to $50 a month to stick it in RV storage or a large Storage unit. So, I've had it on my truck since March! Today, I'm taking it out to some acearage about 5 miles from my home to store it. Looking forward to the better handling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Improved stance of my 06 Nissan Frontier 2WD ExtendedCab XE. (OEM foglights recently added as well).

Lightened a little bit with cap removed.

Desert shot

Acceleration improved just a bit with the cap off. Back bounces a bit more without the extra 200+ lbs weighing it down. Roll is definitely reduced.

I'm really glad that these lift kits favor bringing the front up a bit more than the back. With the Cap removed, you can definitely see that the Frontier has a nose down bias, despite having an extra 1/2" in comparsion to the rear.

One odd detail about my 06 XE is that I have the Wheel House Air Dams (look like mini-mud flaps in front of the rear wheels) that became standard from 2012 on. It required the welding of small brackets to attach them.... (and of course constant cooling of the painted surface with water while welding so that the paint didn't burn). Neat little $25 addon (parts and welding).

Truth be told, with the added elevation from the mini-lift kit and the larger rims/tires, the truck looks equally good with and without the cap.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
It has been said before regarding bedcaps/toppers: when you want it off it's on, when you want it on it's off.

Mine have always stayed on cuz I need/want the security. The added weight in the winter is a boon when it snows.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
It has been said before regarding bedcaps/toppers: when you want it off it's on, when you want it on it's off.

Mine have always stayed on cuz I need/want the security. The added weight in the winter is a boon when it snows.
Yeah I’m torn between on or off, plus it’s not that easy for me. How do you guys lift it off if it’s just you? I have a come a long hanging from my ceiling that I use to use in my Jeep Wrangler but that was pretty easy to do without scratching. This camper is a lot tighter and actually over laps the bed rails quite a bit. Any tips?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm able to install and remove my ARE Cap myself. It sits on blocks... I simply climb inside put my hands over my head, stand up.. and walk over to the truck... Once you get the front of the cap on the bed... pushing is easy... Removal is a bit easier.... stand at the edge of the tailgate and pull on the camper.. then get inside it (still standing) and continue to slide....as you slide if off you just wait until you can tell that the weight is fully balanced front to back.. then just walk it off and set it down where you want by kneeling (of course haveing two courses of blocks to put it on makes it so you aren't kneeling so far down.. That said... I much prefer having help as I am fifty now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts