Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought this truck. The guy i bought it from says he thinks he blew the head gasket, claims he overheated and there was oil in the coolant. I believe him but the leak must be so small I can't get it to show. no smoke out the tailpipe, no visible water in oil after driving several miles and no visible oil in water. Anyway currently the clutch fan and smaller electronically controlled radiator fan both seem to be running all the time. I ordered a new clutch for the main fan even though it spins freely with minimal drag right now. I put a new coolant temp sensor in but the gauge still wont show any warming up. The guy also said he removed the thermostat. I have ordered a new thermostat and will put it in as soon as it arrives. when i turn the key on the temp gauge needle bouys up slightly but I drove several miles uphill and it did not budge. I am wondering is it possible with no thermostat in and both fans running constantly is it possible that the engine just never reaches a temp that will read on the gauge? SES light is on and im gonna get the codes asap but dont have reader yet.
Any thoughts on the temp gauge and also why the electronic fan is always on ? also how should i go about diagnosing head gasket at this point are those combustion gas sensors for coolant inexpensive? where to get one?
Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I am wondering is it possible with no thermostat in and both fans running constantly is it possible that the engine just never reaches a temp that will read on the gauge?
I do not believe so, but it's more about time than distance. If you drove a mile in the cold and stopped the truck, it may not have been running long enough to warm up, regardless of how far you got. I will suggest taking a sample of your oil and sending it to Blackstone-labs for analyses. Blackstone Labs They did my transmission fluid analyses looking for coolant mixture before I replaced my radiator in my effort to preempt SMOD. They will send you a small container for free, you send back the sample and get results in a few days, I think it was $25.00.

I would also look on the forums here for people who have replaced/modified their radiator fans. You will gather info on what's going on as far as sensors and things related to what controls the fan, etc, which may point you in the right direction.

The only issue I've ever had was that I almost overheated once, pulled over, it cooled off and was fine. When the same thing happened 2 weeks later, I took it to the dealer because I was still under warranty. Turns out I actually was not still under warranty, and when they figured that out, they told me I had a crack in the radiator resulting in a slow leak. They were lying and just wanted to scam me out of $1000.00. It was a $12.00 radiator cap. The o-ring on the radiator cap was creased so the system was not maintaining proper pressure and could not properly circulate all of the fluid.

Good luck bud.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Without reading the codes, you're just guessing what the problem is.

If you've got an Android smartphone, you can pick up a bluetooth OBD scanner on ebay or Amazon for about 12 bucks - works great with the Torque app.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info

got a obdII reader and pulled the codes. was showing thermostat stuck and temp gauge sensor high voltage. replaced both, as well as fan clutch. temp gauge working fine now and fan isnt as loud after cold start. cleared the SES light and everything seems to be going well still
Gonna try that oil test or maybe the coolant test to see if the head gasket is blown

1 - 5 of 5 Posts