Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for one of these for quite a while now and I finally pulled the trigger.
My brother has had an E36 M3 and an E46 M3 Conv and he currently has a '15 M5. My mom had an E92 M3 hardtop and her husband has had a couple E46 M3 conv so it was long past time I finally got one of my own.
It originally started as simply a need for a second vehicle to keep some miles off of my truck. I really wanted a convertible, RWD, MT sports car and there aren't too many of those available on the market, much less any I'd want to drive. So it was kind of a no-brainer to grab up one of these. That being said, its getting pretty tough to find them in decent shape, especially with the 6MT.
Anyway, enough blabbing about backstory and on to the fun stuff...
So here's my new toy;
2006 E46 M3 Convertible 6MT in silver metallic.

Well, photobucket is seriously pissing me off right now so I'll post some thumbs until they can remove their collective heads from arses : /

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A quick rundown of the specs;
Already had a full cat back Magnaflow system on it when I bought it but that's about it so...

The fan clutch was starting to wobble a bit when I picked it up, and knowing that these cars tend to have some cooling issues I basically just replaced the entire cooling system. It's got 97k on it and the water pump had never been done. 90-100k is the magic number for these so out went pretty much everything and replaced water pump, fan and clutch, all belts, hoses, tensioners and idler pulleys, t-stat and a shiny new CSF alum radiator to top it off.
I'll get pix up once photobucket is back up.

Also was in need of some new shoes. The old Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires had seen more than their share of desert heat so out they went for a new set of Pilot Sport AS 3 + shoes in stock 225/40/19 - 235/35/19 size, Y rating. Doesn't drift nearly as easily with the new sticky shoes but it sure corners better.

And of course, you know I couldn't leave well enough alone. So I've got a train load of goodies en route for the new toy.
Included in said train load so far are;
New factory M3 floor mats to replace the horrible BMW rubber mats some kucklehead had installed, a new short throw shifter, a set of pulleys from Turner Motorsports, a Macht Schnell silicone intake elbow and drop in filter and of course a tuner. Should be fun : )

Anyway, that about covers it for now. I'll get some more pix up soon.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some pix of the new toy. I'll get a few more uploaded soon since photobucket seems to be functional again.

Still haven't gotten the new shifter and pulleys installed. Been busy with the whole work thing : (
I did crawl under it to see what it was going to take to get the shifter installed. Looks like I'll have to drop the center exhaust section and the front of the driveshaft to get to it so I went ahead and ordered a new guibo and carrier bearing that I'll replace while I have that stuff out.
Also found some wheels that I REALLY like but they only come in 18" fitments so I'll go to 18s once I burn through this set of tires. On the plus side it'll drop a bunch of unsprung weight and the tires will be cheaper. In the mean time I'm seriously considering having the stock wheels powder coated at a local shop here. I'm also narrowing down my list of possible suspension upgrades to lower it a bit and firm up the ride. Leaning towards the matched Bilstein/Eibach kit. It should give me what I want with regards to ride and only lower it enough to get rid of the extra wheel gap once I go down to the 18s and improve the handling a bit. I'll also be adding a few other upgrades to the shock mounts and control arm bushings while I'm at it.
I've got a couple other items on order so I'll update once they arrive.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Very nice...have u joined M3forum.net? I have a 2004 m3 6sp coupe....lot of great info out there....as far as the shifter they really are a pain in the *** to diy. Didn't attempt myself as everyone said if u can pay someone....i opted for the latter...best $200 imho. Also have them change out ur tranny mounts while there and do the cdv delete. Have you had ur subframe inspected for cracks? These cars are know for that although the verts aren't as prone. Lock down ur vanos with Beisan kit....number one thing to do asap!

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice...have u joined M3forum.net? I have a 2004 m3 6sp coupe....lot of great info out there....as far as the shifter they really are a pain in the *** to diy. Didn't attempt myself as everyone said if u can pay someone....i opted for the latter...best $200 imho. Also have them change out ur tranny mounts while there and do the cdv delete. Have you had ur subframe inspected for cracks? These cars are know for that although the verts aren't as prone. Lock down ur vanos with Beisan kit....number one thing to do asap!
Thanks! Probably my all time favorite M.
Haven't joined yet but I have been browsing/lurking a bit.
Yeah, the shifter is a bit of a PITA but I don't mind. I was a line tech in a previous life so there's not much on a car/truck I can't do, only things I don't want/like to do. It actually wouldn't be that bad of a job with a lift. Just a total pain to get under the damn thing. I'm kinda spoiled with a truck I can literally sit under without even jacking it up.
Yes, also planning on changing the trans mounts while I've got it apart and I'll also be giving the subframe a good once over when I get it on a lift.
What's the cdv delete? Not as up on the acronyms for the bimmers yet. Been reading up on the vanos too to figure out what the deal is there. Always fun learning what all the hot to-do items are on a new rig.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
cdv= clutch delay valve

the hard part about the shifter install is trying to get the pin into the selecltor rod. completely blind job and not much room because of the tranny tunnel.

also while doing ur vanos u might as well do ur valve adjustment and replace out ur spark plugs. also replace the vanos line with the update vanos line. same part number just has an extra mounting point....they are known to leak

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cdv= clutch delay valve

the hard part about the shifter install is trying to get the pin into the selecltor rod. completely blind job and not much room because of the tranny tunnel.

also while doing ur vanos u might as well do ur valve adjustment and replace out ur spark plugs. also replace the vanos line with the update vanos line. same part number just has an extra mounting point....they are known to leak
Thanks for the interpretation. Much appreciated.
Already have the shim kit, gaskets and plugs ; )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts