Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a buddy of mine has a 2006 four wheel drive and it has a very strange leak coming out from around the tailshaft on the transfer case. I've got a fair amount of experience with different mechanical things, and this one has me scratching my head. The body of the tailshaft appears to be leaking near the knuckle of the tailshaft itself. Upon inspection the tailshaft seal is bone dry, and so is the tailshaft itself in that location. The bead of oil emanates from the center of the knuckle, getting the U joint wet, and beading and dripping oil from the caps of the U joint.

Question is, I cleaned everything with brakeclean and compressed air. The way the tailshaft looks to have been made is that it looks like maybe a cap was pressed in the end of the splined bore. I have not removed the driveshaft to inspect it yet. I just find it very puzzling that oil is actually dripping out of the very end of the tailshaft and getting on the U joint caps. Anybody have any experience with this??

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
A picture would help. If by "tail shaft" you mean "driveshaft yoke," you'd probably be best off finding a driveshaft shop to repair it because I don't think Nissan sells just the yoke. Being it's a Spicer yoke, a driveshaft shop could probably get a new one if they can't repair the original. I'm "assuming" that's what you are talking about..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts