Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did some off road jaunts. First down to the Colorado River on the Hualapi Indian Resevation 44 miles round trip dirt rock sand water, then out to Toroweep Overlook 124 miles roundtrip dirt rock DUST rain last 40 miles headed out, Ophir pass (slick rock), Engineer pass and finally trail to Crystal City mill in Colorado in the RAIN.

A few questions; The transmission DID NOT want to come out of low 4 after the Crystal City jaunt. It was raining, slick and steep and was about 8 miles roundtrip. Yes, best to have manual shift but this is the automatic in a 2006 4x4 Frontier. Why the issue with failing to come out of 4 low? Never had the problem before and after going into the marble quarry near Marble, Colorado (maybe cooled down) it finally shifted out of 4 low back to 2 high. (truck was parked for about 20-30 minutes)

Now for more generic question. I am going to change fluids in the transmission, differentials and transfer case. What do y'all recommend for fluids and quantities? I prefer to use NON Nissan fluids and try to upgrade the quality of oils/fluids, etc.

All help and suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Don't you have to stop, put it in park and then shift out of 4 low into 4 high? If not then I think there is a specific way in which it should be done. If you didn't follow the method, then that is why it wouldn't shift out of 4low.

For the fluids you will get recommendations from Mobil1, Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc... You just have to figure out how much it will cost you for the fluids and then go from there.

·
Registered
374 Posts
to go from or to 4low u put in N or P, and i always press the brake and its fine... Only problem i have is back to 2wd, somtimes i have to pop it into reverse for a few feet and its fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried different avenues

I did stop, put in park, put in neutral, shut off key, backed up, you probably can name it and I tried it. It did not shift from low 4 to 4 high until it sat for 20-30 minutes. Did the transmission overheat?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
if i have to use 4low i dont try to go from 4low strait to 2wd. i always stop at 4hi and wait.
Not sure why, but this usually works for me too, or even try driving a few hundred feet in 4hi then shift into 2WD. Can't explain why it seems to need to cycle through like that, but it works for me too.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
IIRC you must put the truck in neutral and press in brake when switching from 4hi to 4lo.

Regardless, I don't know why it locked. This happened to me once before when I got stuck in some goopy mud up to the axles. It took me turning the vehicle off to reset, maybe it is a safety issue after the truck takes so much "abuse".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts