Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone here tell me the difference between these year models.
I bought an 06 XE with a bad motor. This truck has only 47k miles on it.
The kid who drove it did not know his oil filter was not tight until it was too late. It still runs, but knocks, no smoke. The price of the 05 to 08 used engines are higher than newer models. Dealership says there is only 1 part number for 05 to 15 engines.

Can I use a newer year motor and just change parts?

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
This is what I find interesting. If you look up long blocks on Rockauto.com, they show different part numbers between the 2005-2008 QR25DE engines and the 2009-2015 engines. For 2005-08, they list Famous Brand #347A (head cast EA0). For 2009-2015, the list Famous Brand #347J (head cast MA0). Yet, when you look in the Nissan parts catalog, they list P/N: 10102-EA0K1 for 2005-2016, like your parts man said. My guess is that there is something different between the heads, based on the casting numbers, but not enough to make a difference as far as installation or drivability. I would say you could put the later engine into your vehicle; you may have to change over the manifolds, but check first.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If the dealership says the longblock is the same part#, that means all of the motors are the same. You will be fine buying any of those year used 2.5's, but you will have to swap over the intake plenum, exhaust manifold, etc. because something is gonna be different there.

Edit: For example, I know they switched from using 02 sensors to air/fuel sensors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts