Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2005 nismo edition. if i shift on the fly into 4wd Hi, I cannot disengage 4wd unless I make at least a 60 degree turn, either to the left or right.

this is my first nissan. ive owned a few other 4wd trucks w/ shift on the fly and i have never seen anything like that. i literally have to make a turn to disengage.

is this normal? does anyone else's 05+ nismo have the same problem?

i took it to nissan and they that is perfectly normal. i took the guy for a test drive in the damn truck and let him see for himself. the gague on the left that displays the truck's drivetrain, just blinks constantly and the truck stays in 4wd. make a turn and it comes right out. he said that is fine.

the truck drives fine otherwise. no warning lights, no clunking, squeaks or wobbling. so some might say whats the big deal? well for instance..tonight, i had to pull over on the side of the road to let my friend take a piss.i pulled over right into beach/desert type sand. it wasnt too deep, but the truck got stuck nonthetheless. so i put it in 4wd hi and pulled it out back onto the road. so i went to take it out of 4wd immediately, but because i only kinda pulled over and didnt make a turn, it wouldnt come out. it was a single lane road w/ no shoulder in each direction. so...now that my truck was in 4wd b/c i needed to get out of the sand and im back on the road going straight, stuck in 4wd. i can drive for miles and miles and it wont disengage. so i actuallly had to stop in the middle of the road, make a turn into the oncoming lane (when the coast was clear) and then make a sharp turn back, and that disengaged. otherwise i wouldve driven in 4wd, on dry pavement for another 10+ miles until i got to the next exit.

btw- slowing down, neutral, backing up doesnt not do anything. the only thing to gets it out of 4wd is to make a turn.

what gives?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
yeah i have the same problem last time i pulled over turned the ignition off before it would stop fashing.what a pain. the manual doesent say anything about flashing after you turn back to 2 wd i'm shore someone knows.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Frontin said:
electronic 4x4 just plan sucks lol. something you will prob have to deal with.
i dont know when i had a manual if i didnt use it for awhile it would take along time to go back to 2 wd aswell.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
atom said:
i have a 2005 nismo edition. if i shift on the fly into 4wd Hi, I cannot disengage 4wd unless I make at least a 60 degree turn, either to the left or right.

this is my first nissan. ive owned a few other 4wd trucks w/ shift on the fly and i have never seen anything like that. i literally have to make a turn to disengage.

is this normal? does anyone else's 05+ nismo have the same problem?

i took it to nissan and they that is perfectly normal. i took the guy for a test drive in the damn truck and let him see for himself. the gague on the left that displays the truck's drivetrain, just blinks constantly and the truck stays in 4wd. make a turn and it comes right out. he said that is fine.

the truck drives fine otherwise. no warning lights, no clunking, squeaks or wobbling. so some might say whats the big deal? well for instance..tonight, i had to pull over on the side of the road to let my friend take a piss.i pulled over right into beach/desert type sand. it wasnt too deep, but the truck got stuck nonthetheless. so i put it in 4wd hi and pulled it out back onto the road. so i went to take it out of 4wd immediately, but because i only kinda pulled over and didnt make a turn, it wouldnt come out. it was a single lane road w/ no shoulder in each direction. so...now that my truck was in 4wd b/c i needed to get out of the sand and im back on the road going straight, stuck in 4wd. i can drive for miles and miles and it wont disengage. so i actuallly had to stop in the middle of the road, make a turn into the oncoming lane (when the coast was clear) and then make a sharp turn back, and that disengaged. otherwise i wouldve driven in 4wd, on dry pavement for another 10+ miles until i got to the next exit.

btw- slowing down, neutral, backing up doesnt not do anything. the only thing to gets it out of 4wd is to make a turn.

what gives?

it explains it quite well in the owners manual.....or in one of the books in the glove box anyways. i dont remember which one it was

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
That's only for 4LO, 4HI is shift-on-the-fly, you should be able to shift into and out of 4HI at up to 50 mph!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
That's only for 4LO, 4HI is shift-on-the-fly, you should be able to shift into and out of 4HI at up to 50 mph!
well i dont have any problem changing between hi and lo in neutral and changing back into 4h from 2h is not a problem, even when flashing .
its just changing back to 2h

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Check out the link on the grounding kit, it dramtically improved the time it takes for our trucks to shift into and out of 4HI!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah this is 4Hi. I dont see anywhere in the manual that says I have to make a left or right turn to disengage. I tried neutral, backing up, etc. It doesnt matter. I have to make a turn, then it comes right out.

either way, i brought it to nissan and they told me it was fine so i made them give that to me in writing. now, if something should happen at least i have proof i made an attempt to get it fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts