Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched the forum, but there doesn't seem to be enough information for my questions to be fully answered. I'm planning on building a hybrid pack from combining Xterra/ Frontier leafs. I currently have an 2" AAL w/ Bilstein 5125 (2-3" lift). I'm hoping to keep these shocks as they ride great and only have 10K on them. Most people see around a 4" lift with adjustable shackles on the lowest setting (+1"), but I'm planning on using OEM (stock) shackles. So this should yield around 3" lift for me. I'm also looking into changing and relocating my lower shock mounts. I would imagine that if I rotate the shock mounts up 1/2"-1" to increase ground clearance, then I would still be able to use my current 5125's.

Please post your experiences with the hybrid pack set-up: Components used, outcome, etc. I would also ask that people post about relocating their lower shock mounts: Components used, etc. Also, feel free to link any hybrid pack threads and lower shock mount threads here as well. I'll add them below.

Thanks for your help!

Related threads:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/diy-rebuilt-leaf-springs-38250/
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/rear-shock-relocation-thread-119161/

·
Registered
935 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
it depends on what you are trying to do. if you just want a daily and occasionally hit some nice trails im sure this would be fine. i dont think you would need to relocate your shocks unless you were shooting for some higher travel numbers. it looks like the current top mount could gain you roughly 1" more of travel without compromising bed. when you move your shocks up on your axle you will lose that gained travel. i wouldnt do anything with the shocks unless you are searching for some high speed stuff. its really not needed for daily daily/overland.

the setup is overall fairly cheap and easy, the shocks once done will be much more stiff than oem, i would leave shocks off for a day or two and let them get some large movents going to make sure all works well, and to help soften them up a bit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it depends on what you are trying to do. if you just want a daily and occasionally hit some nice trails im sure this would be fine. i dont think you would need to relocate your shocks unless you were shooting for some higher travel numbers. it looks like the current top mount could gain you roughly 1" more of travel without compromising bed. when you move your shocks up on your axle you will lose that gained travel. i wouldnt do anything with the shocks unless you are searching for some high speed stuff. its really not needed for daily daily/overland.

the setup is overall fairly cheap and easy, the shocks once done will be much more stiff than oem, i would leave shocks off for a day or two and let them get some large movents going to make sure all works well, and to help soften them up a bit.

When we off-road/ overland ( I hate that word now) Car camp*, I carry about 500# of gear. I'm in the process of building a tire carrier/bumper so there's some added weight.

But take a look at the little sketch below. I feel like if you rotate the shock mount up after lifting the truck more, you would get back more travel in your shock. Yeah the shock still limits your travel of the added leafs, but wouldn't you get better rose because the shop is closer to its natural state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
relocating the lower mount will for sure give you some more clearance down below, feel way mo better about loosing one on a rock. however i dont think you will gain any travel with it on the up stroke, potentially more for the downstroke if you used the same shock.
thats where the negatives come in though, if you keep the same shock and have it compressed more than before you are just getting closer to bottoming it out over most bumps. and that does not feel as fun as you might think.

the best thing to do would be to get your leaf packs fully built and get your mounts relocated to where you want and measure I bolt to lower mount and plan your shock game around that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
relocating the lower mount will for sure give you some more clearance down below, feel way mo better about loosing one on a rock. however i dont think you will gain any travel with it on the up stroke, potentially more for the downstroke if you used the same shock.

thats where the negatives come in though, if you keep the same shock and have it compressed more than before you are just getting closer to bottoming it out over most bumps. and that does not feel as fun as you might think.

the best thing to do would be to get your leaf packs fully built and get your mounts relocated to where you want and measure I bolt to lower mount and plan your shock game around that.

Yeah after pondering about it more, what your saying makes sense. That's what I will do for now.

I still would like to see members post about their experiences though.

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
i did a monster pack about 5 years ago with an xterra pack and frontier pack just FYI i dont know too many others that have done it.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I did one on my buddies truck (guy who helped me build all the tophats).

Pack was in this order from main to overload:
Frontier main - Frontier 2nd - Xterra 2nd - Frontier 3rd - Xterra 3rd - Xterra OVL

This gave 4" of lift with no other parts/ mods and rode pretty good actually. He has the Bilsteins you have and they top out occasionally, definitely limit droop.

I don't have any pics unfortunately and this truck has been put back to stock at this point.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did one on my buddies truck (guy who helped me build all the tophats).

Pack was in this order from main to overload:
Frontier main - Frontier 2nd - Xterra 2nd - Frontier 3rd - Xterra 3rd - Xterra OVL

This gave 4" of lift with no other parts/ mods and rode pretty good actually. He has the Bilsteins you have and they top out occasionally, definitely limit droop.

I don't have any pics unfortunately and this truck has been put back to stock at this point.

So I would imagine that leaving out the overload would get me where I want to be; around 3"

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
i got 4 and left the pack in. i would for sure inspect each individual leaf as you go. the factory ones are prone to breaking as you take them apart..

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Yea, pretty close to 3" if you left the overload out. Don't think the bottom leaf will last long without it though. My current setup has no overloads with the shortest Xterra leaf in its place on OME packs. I'll be happy if I get a year or two before they break.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I just got done doing this about a month ago. I used all the x leafs and no overload. I had to get longer Bilstein. The ones I had we're tapping out way to soon and making for a very harsh ride.

The install is pretty straight forward. Make sure you have longer u bolts, longer center pins and good cut off wheels or a band saw to cut the eyes off the x leafs. You will also need axle degree shims. 3.5° wasn't enough for me so now I'm playing the guessing game. I also set the prg adjustable shackles at the lowest setting. I've been told they will bind on the frontier at this setting. So I will raise them up one more slot and set the ride height there.
When we measured full droop of the axle we we're around 26.5" or so.

I ended up getting 28" long shocks to make sure the shock wasn't the limiting factor. At ride height the shock eyes are around 22.5". The ride is good, a little more stiff than stock but not terrible. We decided that if I had around 3-500 lbs of gear for camping then the truck will ride great and flex like it should on the trail. I've yet to take it out on the trails to really test it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts