Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SEC code P0430 and one of the possible causes could be "Failed Bank 2 Cataytic converter. What does "Bank 2" mean? also, doy you think it could be the O2 sensor instead of the cat?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Bank 2 should be passenger side. It could be a O2 sensor but will probably be the CAT itself.

If you have less then 80k, it should be covered under warranty if it is a CAT.

Have you downloaded the FSM? If not you should and it will shed a lot of light on most questions related to the codes and what could pop them.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Bank two is the driver side(110% positive on this).
"Banks" refers to the location of cylinder1 and 2. Cylinder one is on the passengerside, cylinder 2 is on the driver side

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for you assistance.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
if you are out of warranty I have good cats with 40k on them. pm me

·
Registered
242 Posts
I replaced the cat, and it fixed the code...but I have a new in the box O2 sensor, waiting to be put on, incase the code pops back up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This maybe a stupid question, but i"ve never ran cats on any of my mustangs, 0 problems. So what does this affect (failed cat) on the Fronty? We have no emissions check here.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
As mentioned, Bank 1 always refers to the side of #1 cylinder and Bank 2 the opposite side, IF a V-config, like ours.

Wow, these converters sure seem to go out a lot! :( Just curious if you guys that have had this issue run additives a lot, or ? I know ethanol sucks and is even worse when you mix methanol (in many additives) and what a shame we have to foot the bill, argh!

btw - while P04020/30 codes generally point to the converter, not always. It's just the ECU reads to close to the same value from before the cat and then after the cat (between the to O2 sensors) and *sometimes* it could be a lazy/bad O2, fwiw...I had this (bad cat, not O2) happen to my CTS-V and while there generally is no harm in running with the code(s), it's annoying having the CEL on and esp if another code were to pop up...thankfully mine was covered under the emissions' warranty (O2 sensors are not, but the cat is), but looks like you have an '05, so will be out of your pocket.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mule- Did you install an after market cat or Factory? If after market, which one?
aftermarket, universal. but have no idea what it is. after a quick search, it might be magnaflow....but it might not. the shop asked if I wanted a hi-flo* cat
and I said no. right no just waiting on a couple fill ups to see if the gas mileage improves <fingers crossed>

*(brain fart - can't think of the term)​

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am in the same P0420 & P0430 boat (2006 V6 Frontier).

Am I correct to assume this is referencing both Driver and Passenger side Cats?

I have an impeding SMOG Check in April so I am trying to remedy all of this jazz before then.

I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations for California Cats beyond what’s on Courtesy Nissan's site >$500.00 per unit.

Another broader question is what do people with aftermarket exhausts do for Cats in California?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
put plug foulers in the downstream 02 frica and hope they just give it a once over without much visual. plug foulers move the 02's out of the ex stream and gives the ecu a reading its happy with

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Unfortunately for us in CA, if you need to replace the cat, they do not allow aftermarket cats for OBII vehicles anymore, argh!! What a sham-racket this whole thing is...I don't have all the details on that, but do know that a hi-flo unit is taboo for the smog nazis, but I'm sure some of them look "oem-enough" after you drive awhile to get by visual...

Another DIY approach for the O2 fooling, another thing you can do is put some rtv on the post O2 sensor also, IIRC and it'll give enough of a difference to satisfy the ECU; something like that, but you'd have to check online, cause I don't want to misquote anything :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah its weak-sauce that they (CA) are hosing me so aggresively.

I am most likely going to go the Spark Fowler way and cross my fingers that I will not have to lie to anybody who questions me about it.

"WHAT!!? I PAID SOMEONE $600.00 TO FIX THIS, etc." - FF

Or I will literally buck-up and pay a brazzilion dollars for the dual-cat replacement parts.

"Freedom isn't free. It costs a hefty..."

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok so now my fronty is throwin that P0430 code at me now. But no loss in MPG? Does this have any affect on MPG?

·
Registered
242 Posts
ok so now my fronty is throwin that P0430 code at me now. But no loss in MPG? Does this have any affect on MPG?
might not in the beginning, but as time goes on....but then again I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its still gettin 19 mpg and the check engine light has been on for a while now. Just put my Bully Dog on last nite it told me the code. Had some issues with the gas cap or something b4 thought that was the code again......NOPE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Brutal, do you know either what Dorman Non Fouler I need specifically ( Dorman Products - Spark Plug Non-Foulers ) or what size (they range from 10mm to 14mm)?

Sorry about being such a boner but I just figured I would ask while I try to also figure it out myself.

*It bums me out pretty hard knowing I could have some serious after market exhaust love going off if I lived in another state.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts