Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Nismo and I have 2.5 inch leveling kit on it. 2.5 front and 1.5 shackles on back. Now my leafs are flat. Do I need longer shocks for the rear and if so what length? Also what can I do for added payload capacity (Atv, snowmobile, ETC) Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Sounds like you need new leaf packs with a higher capacity. Ditch the shackles and mount some OME Dakar MD leafs, they would suit your needs well. Then just get some shocks that are the correct length.

You usually want to do longer shocks in the rear if you lift over 1".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The leafs will give me the lift as well to keep it level?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
The leafs will give me the lift as well to keep it level?
Yep, the MD should provide 1.75" of lift if I remember correctly. They also add 150 lbs more payload, squat considerably less when loaded, and flex better than stock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I go the air bag route and I put original shackles back on it with the stock shocks it'll keep my lift?

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
^You'll have to pump up the bags a bit to produce the lift, which could make the ride stiffer in the rear. With no air in them you'll be stock height.

Honestly if the leafs are shot, just replace them. No sense in doing band aids

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^You'll have to pump up the bags a bit to produce the lift, which could make the ride stiffer in the rear. With no air in them you'll be stock height.

Honestly if the leafs are shot, just replace them. No sense in doing band aids

Well they seemed fine before the shackles, I was told the longer shackles straighten them out.

Glamisdude, I saw you bought mx6050 for yours how do you like them? I am thinking of going that direction for shocks.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Glamisdude, I saw you bought mx6050 for yours how do you like them? I am thinking of going that direction for shocks.
I like them and they have been working well. The ride is very similar the Bilstein 5100s on setting 2 of 6 (how I usually have them set). At full open (setting 1), they allow for a bit too much bounce on the road and blow through travel quickly off road. On setting 6 (stiffest) they help ALOT with heavy loads and control loads way better the 5100s I had previously. It's very easy to adjust them, no tools required, just reach under and turn the knob to change the ride as you see fit. The 5100s allowed for more travel and flex though as these have a shorter stroke while still being longer. Know that you'll need at least 1.5" of lift the run them with 2-3" suiting them better. I'm at about 1.75" and they are on the long side and I've had to raise my bump stops a good bit the compensate. You'll also need to swap out the lower bushing from whatever you have on there now as the one that comes installed is the wrong size. Even though they required some work to make fit and cost more and have less travel... the adjust-ability is very handy if you carry heavy loads somewhat often but like a nice ride on the way to work. Overall I'm happy with them, I have about 15k on them and no leaks or anything yet so that's a plus.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I'm thinking I'll go with the MX6050s and new airbags for now. Will the airbag kits work with the 1.5" shackles?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would second the Dakar OME leaf springs they are fantastic. However you could just AAL if you really dont want to spend $400 but i think the extra 300 is worth it. 5100 shocks do a great job

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would second the Dakar OME leaf springs they are fantastic. However you could just AAL if you really dont want to spend $400 but i think the extra 300 is worth it. 5100 shocks do a great job
Where did you find those leafs? I'd like to do leafs but I couldn't find a kit for the Nismo frontier

·
Registered
56 Posts
Suzuki Equator CS150R Medium Load OME Rear Leaf Springs

Got mine from this company Low Range offroad. They usually offer free shipping on OME products which can save you a ton. I got mine over the holidays and only paid $360 with free shipping. Even there regular price is good though especially with free shipping. Im running the 5100 shocks I already had but they have matching OME shocks to go with the springs. The link I sent is for the MD duty springs that are CS150 and the Heavier duty springs are CS151. If you truly haul heavy things like dirt bikes and such often the heavy duty will be good but the CS150 can handle a pretty fair amount and I actually ended up with about 2.5-3" of lift unloaded. They ride much better than the stock springs and can handle a lot more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can use your stock shackles with these springs, but you will need to purchase the OME bushings separately they cost about $40. You will also need longer ubolts that will run you about $30. I bought greaseable shackles for $60 but its not mandatory.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
^Nisstec also has the OME Springs, that is where I got mine. I bought the HD and unless you have the 660lb extra in the bed 100% of the time, they are too stiff. MD is what 99% of people want. I've since pulled the extra leaf from my to make them MD.

Just know that the lift spec they give is the loaded lift height. So 1.5" of lift with an extra 150lbs in the bed, more if empty.

Also, just because you have a Nismo does not mean they you need to buy stuff that specific says its fits a Nismo. This truck has not changed suspension wise since 2005 for any trim.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I bought my OME Dakar MD leaf packs from Nisstec, and the setup's been excellent for my racing weekends (as well as off-roading) - 4,000-lb. car/trailer in-tow, and bed full of racing tools, jacks, and whatnot (not overly heavy); the truck always feels perfectly planted over bumps, concrete joints, etc.

The leaf pack:

Swap completed, with OME Nitrocharger shocks (in this photo I had yet to install the front OME suspension), and stock-sized wheels and tires (265/70/16):

Best view:

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I bought my OME Dakar MD leaf packs from Nisstec, and the setup's been excellent for my racing weekends (as well as off-roading) - 4,000-lb. car/trailer in-tow, and bed full of racing tools, jacks, and whatnot (not overly heavy); the truck always feels perfectly planted over bumps, concrete joints, etc.

The leaf pack:

Swap completed, with OME Nitrocharger shocks (in this photo I had yet to install the front OME suspension), and stock-sized wheels and tires (265/70/16):

Best view:

Is that unloaded? Looks like quite a bit of rake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks guys I appreciate all the help!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts