Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, First time posting, but have used the help in these forums a few times, and the advice is great!

I have an 05 frontier LE V6 160k mi. The past couple months I have been dealing with a substantial oil leak. I lose about a quart a week maybe a little more. I replaced the gasket behind the oil cooler, I replaced the fuel pan, used some engine leak sealer, and have checked the radiator fluid and it has not been contaminated by engine coolant (so shouldn't be a head gasket problem). The only oil I can see is on these 3 little hoses and more on this rectangular piece that has a bolt in it. If anybody with experience could tell me what these hoses are and what this rectangular piece is so i can buy the parts, it would be greatly appreciated. I have circled the hoses and the bolt in question. I have circled in red the bolt that is on the opposite side of the frame piece and looks to be connected to the silver box.
file.jpeg
file1.jpeg
thumbnail_Image.jpg
thumbnail_Image-2.jpg

Thank you very much for any help.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Dimitri, I believe I would try something similar to this, and find out definitively what the source is. Get this & a cheap UV lamp and have at it. I'd prob spray / steam the bottom of the engine first to get a clean base.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know I get oil on that lower hose and cross member just from changing the oil filter, but that doesn’t explain the accumulation above it. I assume the drain plug looks fine and has no accumulation since you didn’t post pictures of that? Try Ryan’s suggestion. If that comes back clean with no signs of leak, you could be burning the oil but not from the head gasket.
I’m not sure what the hoses and bolts are without doing more digging except maybe coolant or vent lines. It could be PCV with bad clamps/hoses and that’s why they have oil around them. But it shouldn’t be blowing out that much oil if that’s what it is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah a cheap try is use some brake clean, maybe buy 3-4 cans cause it goes really fast lol. remove all the oil and keep watch where it starts from. Warm engine up so oil is warm then turn off.
Get a beer and a lawn chair and sit outside lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts