Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Does anyone know what size the dash speakers are on '05 Frontier LE with the Rockford Fosgate system? I looked at them and havent' seen a size or shape like them before.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Check out the crutchfield website. Type in your info and it should tell ya

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
6x9's up front and 6.5's in the rear i believe. its the same for all frontiers. you also should have tweeters in the dash.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried crutchfield already but doesn't say anything about the dash speaker sizes.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I tried crutchfield already but doesn't say anything about the dash speaker sizes.
the dash speakers are the tweeters. your not going to find the size on crutchfield. search on here, someone pulled theres and measured them.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I have an '06 SE, but I'll bet the tweeter mounts are the same. My old notes show that there are four tweeter mounting holes, all 80mm (about 3 - 1/8") apart. My existing factory tweeter has a 1" face and is 1 - 1/2" diameter with the surrounding plastic rim. It needs only two of the four mounting holes. The tweeter basin is 61mm diameter (about 2 and three eighths (stupid smiley face appears if I post the fraction) with about 37mm (about 1 - 1/2") of depth. There's no protective bucket sitting below the tweeter. There's a capacitor wired up to my factory tweeter; I'm not sure if it's protective or a crossover.

I used an old credit card to lift off the grille and not scratch anything. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
I have an '06 SE, but I'll bet the tweeter mounts are the same. My old notes show that there are four tweeter mounting holes, all 80mm (about 3 - 1/8") apart. My existing factory tweeter has a 1" face and is 1 - 1/2" diameter with the surrounding plastic rim. It needs only two of the four mounting holes. The tweeter basin is 61mm diameter (about 2 and three eighths (stupid smiley face appears if I post the fraction) with about 37mm (about 1 - 1/2") of depth. There's no protective bucket sitting below the tweeter. There's a capacitor wired up to my factory tweeter; I'm not sure if it's protective or a crossover.

I used an old credit card to lift off the grille and not scratch anything. Good luck.
i've been dying to know... how'd it go? notice any changes vs stock? any pics of the install?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Those tweeters in the dash are mid-high range. The door speakers in front only play low frequencies, hardly much for vocals at all, low lower-mid. Most vocals and high's come from the those 2ish inch dash speakers in this setup. The rear speakers are very underpowered and doesnt sound good at all, along with the rear tweeters.

I ripped the factory amplifier out, replaced it with a 400wRMS 4 channel amplifier.

2 channels are mid-high crossed over that go to the small dash speakers and the two other channels go as low frequencies leaning into the mid range audio to the door speakers. Sounds much much much better now, being able to tune what speakers play what frequencies is very nice. Those speakers that come in the truck with the rockford system are pretty dang nice, pack a lot of punch and are very crisp, replacing the amp with your own amp with adjustable crossovers really opens it up. PS, the rear door tweeters have their own built in crossovers, fronts do not, the rear tweeters and door speakers are VERY capable and sound VERY good now.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Those tweeters in the dash are mid-high range. The door speakers in front only play low frequencies, hardly much for vocals at all, low lower-mid. Most vocals and high's come from the those 2ish inch dash speakers in this setup. The rear speakers are very underpowered and doesnt sound good at all, along with the rear tweeters.

I ripped the factory amplifier out, replaced it with a 400wRMS 4 channel amplifier.

2 channels are mid-high crossed over that go to the small dash speakers and the two other channels go as low frequencies leaning into the mid range audio to the door speakers. Sounds much much much better now, being able to tune what speakers play what frequencies is very nice. Those speakers that come in the truck with the rockford system are pretty dang nice, pack a lot of punch and are very crisp, replacing the amp with your own amp with adjustable crossovers really opens it up. PS, the rear door tweeters have their own built in crossovers, fronts do not, the rear tweeters and door speakers are VERY capable and sound VERY good now.
great i want to do this too. how did you determine the rca preouts from the head unit? do you have a write up on these? thanks! i still want to use the stock HU

·
Registered
177 Posts

Do we have a separate factory amp for mid-bass and highs vs. for the subs? I'm guessing you have a factory RF sub or aftermarket? I'm wondering if I can upgrade my amp w/o affecting the sub part of the system for now?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just ordered the kenwood 113KDCX794 from crutchfield and the metra axxcess aswc steering wheel control adapter. I'm gonna see what the stock speakers sound like. I'm having trouble finding replacement speakers for the dash. I think new tweeters alone will take away alot of the vocals. I wish 3 1/2 speakers fit in the dash. I might swap out the rear door 6 1/2's for some new 3 ways.

·
Registered
272 Posts
there like a 2-1/2 to 3inch speakers for the mid - highs... they are not tweeters like the stock system

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I didn't really think the dash speakers were tweeters cause of all the vocals that come through. Does anyone know the exact size of the front and rear door speakers?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
there like a 2-1/2 to 3inch speakers for the mid - highs... they are not tweeters like the stock system
yes, the dash speakers are considered tweeters. tweets in the dash, 6x9's in the front doors and 65's in the rear. dont waist your time/money with "3 way" speakers. they are nothing more than a ploy. in order for them to work correctly you would have to have a way to adjust the freq's going to each speaker and you just cant do it. if you want better sound, 6.5 components(1" tweeters and a 6.5 midrange) with a set of matching coaxials in the rear doors. if your not planing on running an amp then comps may be a little much so a matching set of low powered coaxals might be a better choice. 35w or less if your running power from the deck, if your using an amp then match up the RMS rating of your amp and speakers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for info!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So with more info found...is it safe to say that the speakers that are included in the Fosgate package are all component speakers? For ex: the dash speakers really put out some vocals, the front door speakers only put out bass (barely hear vocals), the rear door tweeters can barely be heard, and the rear door speakers have some bass and some vocals.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Factory replacement info:
In-dash stereo
7-1/2" depth; Size code DD,I

Dash: Tweeter factory speaker

Front Door: 6x9"

Rear Door: 6-3/4"

from manual-

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
i've been dying to know... how'd it go? notice any changes vs stock? any pics of the install?
Hi there! I haven't had the time to tackle the job yet -- I need to first clear the deck of other projects around the house and on the wife's car. I looked at the FSM and confirmed the polarity of the existing tweeter wiring so I can be sure to get the replacements correctly phased. I'm looking forward to the install and again thank you for your generosity!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts