Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Frontier just had the 60K service performed. 900 bucks. My "Check Engine" light came on with 61K miles. They told me it was the O2 sensor/catalitic converter code, and it would cost me 1300 bucks. Questions: at what miles amount is the catalitic converter warrentied to? I thought it might be 80K or so. Should I consider aftermarket parts? Can I replace these items myself? too much cash to Nissan in a short time....

·
Registered
524 Posts
i think its 60 k but could be wrong.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thats what I've been told also 8 yr 80,000! Mine was just replaced under that rule! Now did you check engine light come on after the sevice, if so what services did you have done, they should say exactly what they did because if they did a fuel system cleaning it will trigger a check engine light, depends on the dealer, 60k could be different things! If a dealer did the work they should know what the federal law is on trucks emissions!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I found the law on this link. Catalytic Converter Laws

Searching on the web has not been very helpful. Would an aftermarket unit void my warranty?

what about these converters. Looks like there is a huge mark up.
All 2005 NISSAN FRONTIER 6 Cylinder Catalytic Converters

I found from this same website dealer warranty them for 1 year/12,000 miles. This vendor will warrenty them as follows:
New after market catalytic converters must have a 5 year / 50,000 mile warranty on the converter shell, casing and end pipes and a 25,000 mile warranty on the converter insides or substrate. It must meet all EPA's emission Performance Standards when the vehicle is properly used and maintained.

I think I should get these and have them install them. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The error indicated that the passenger side front catalytic converter. Evidently there are two front and two rear converters. The nissan dealer says the rear or larger unit is the one covered by the federal gov law. The replacement of the front unit with O2 senser will run 1380 bucks. I will search to see if the law applys to any converter, and not just the one the dealer is specifying.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the dealer is blowing smoke. The emissions warranty should apply to all the cat converters on the vehicle if they are really needed to keep it in EPA specs. You might want to look at your warranty book and see what it says

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I think you need to contact Nissan USA directly. State your case and let them know what the dealer is saying. You should have some kind of resolution within a week.

If the dealer and Nissan still denies your claim and you don't want to fight further, then go HF aftermarket cats. They help release some extra power and will not throw a CEL/SES.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts