Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey guys, i have a 2005 KC frontier 4.0 se, i have about 4,500 miles on her now. love the truck btw. ever since i bought it, sometimes when i come out in the morning and start it up, i get a weird smell coming from the vents. its almost like a musty smell, not quite tho. after a few minutes it goes away. it literally makes the whole cab smell like s#!t. I do live in FL, so i am sure the humidity doesnt help. also, we run the air alot down here, it could be from the air being run then shutting the truck off. Ill have to monitor that more, i just wanted to know if any of you guys have had the same issue with the ac or this smell.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i get a smell. i usually notice it after i have been running the a/c then turn it off but keep the fan on. dont know what could be causing it but it's not bad and doesnt last long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its definitely not roadkill. it has been happening since i got the truck over 6 months ago. when it sits, it gets a funky smell when turning the fan on. I noticed to i have something rattling in the dashboard vent near the radio also when i turn it on past the 2 notch on the fan speed, sounds like something in the vent tube. i might have to rip the plastic out and find it. ugh

·
Registered
69 Posts
Several people told me to turn off the A/C before you turn off your car, something about the compressor. Also 5 minutes before you are at your final destination turn off the A/C so it's only on the vent, open your windows, and turn the fan control to full blast. I guess what happens is it blows out all the moisture in the A/C ducts, which helps eliminate mold growing in there. I tried this and you can see all the moisture around the A/C vents.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Doesn't Florida have some big flying things??

Could be something got inside and died.

Take it to the dealer for the smell, maybe they can figure it out. I'm guessing there's something dead inside one of the vents.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have been doing some research, i believe it is mildew that has started growing on the condensor. granted, i live in florida to, so humidity is like 500% all the time. im gonna spray lysol in the hvac system and try to kill all the mold, then like a couple of u said, just run the fan without the a/c with internal circulation off a few miles before i get to my destination. should kill this. i have never had a vehicle that did this so much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I farted :twisted:

:lol:

·
Registered
345 Posts
You leave the AC on Fresh when you turn the car off? That's pretty important...which is why I was so stoked when I initially thought the Fronty did this automatically...but it doesn't...So before turning off the car, leave the AC in fresh...it'll help dry the insides out...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have amother solution for ya. Take the micro filter out of its housing and spray some Clorox Kleenup into the back of the housing. If you can, try to get some into the portion of the system where the evaporator coil is. The reason I say this is that I notice a small puddle of condensate under the truck the morning after sitting parked all night. This is PRIME mold growing territiory. The Clorox has enough bleach in it that it will kill the mold and leach enough chlorine residual to keep it at bay for a while. Take it from an A/C guy from the Houston area..... WE KNOW HUMIDITY AND MOLD!!!!!

Good Luck!

Gary

·
Registered
53 Posts
i took my truck in to nissan for the smell, they ran the heater for about 15 mins said condensation is held somewhere in there and gets stale... i hardly ever smell it now

·
Registered
20 Posts
so i took out the trusty can of lysol, turned the ac on high, with the recirc off, and sprayed a s#!t load of it into the intake on the cowl as the ac was sucking in. smells good in my truck now, and funky smell is gone. lysol kills mold and bacteria, worked like a charm. i just pay more attention to it now, turning the ac off about a mile before i shut the truck down. has worked like a charm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts