Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My son has an '05 Frontier SE, manual trans with a V6. He recently bought it from his grandfather who bought it used but had it for quite some time. so we are familiar with a better part of it's history. The truck currently has right around 120k on it, the factory clutch was replaced at approx. 60k. It seems to me that 60k is pretty premature for a clutch to go, however 120k on the second clutch would make it make sense. We are not sure if the current clutch is an OEM one or not. When the current clutch went, it never slipped other than one time. Other than that for about 4 days it felt as if he was pulling a heavy trailer and was hard to accelerate but it didn't slip. On the 5th day the clutch slipped one time while accelerating then he could not drive anymore. So, over a 5 day period the truck went from completely fine to nothing. It's completely shot, no clutch left whatsoever. We pulled the inspection cover off and there's clutch material everywhere.

I'm looking to know others thoughts, is 60k normal on this truck for a clutch? Before we do it again, is there a better aftermarket replacement?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Just know that the Nissan Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) cannot be resurfaced, but must be replaced if unusable. Due to the complexity involved, I would simply replace it each time the clutch needs replacing if going w/ stock components. There are aftermarket ways to go...but I'll let you familiarize yourself w/ them via a search or other opinions that folks may post/share here who have had experience.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 177K miles on my original clutch and it still works fine. If it breaks before possibly trading in on a Tacoma (since it is unknown what nissan is doing), I would replace it with stock oem clutch again - whole complete package new flywheel, disk, plate, bearing, etc. Seems to work well for many years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts