Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes thats right. You read it right. A Cold Air Intake for the '05+ 4cyl Frontier. Nissan tried and failed to keep a CAI off the 4cyl's. I have overcame the garbage intake that is molded into the intake manifold.

I've been working on one, off and on, for over a year and a half. Tried a couple different setups. All threw codes on the Scangauge II. Mostly the "running too lean on bank 2" code. Those codes would usually come in the first 2 to 10 miles after installing the CAI's.

The CAI I have on my truck has been through over 500 miles of city and highway driving. Not a code, stall, hesitation, hiccup, or burp. Smooth.
The engine is running as normal, but with alot more power (butt dyno) and a deep, throaty sound.

I was just wanting to know if there is anyone interested in the details on this project of mine.:nana:

·
Registered
456 Posts
yeah show some pics.....

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
An interesting question....how does a 4cylinder have a bank 2? does it run 2cyls per bank?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
An interesting question....how does a 4cylinder have a bank 2? does it run 2cyls per bank?
Sorry. The code was p0171. "system running too lean bank 1"

Here are some pics.

This one is the front view...

From the passenger side...

From the drivers side...

I also made 2 brackets......bracket 1

bracket 2

close up of bracket 2 thats mounted under the ABS........

I also am getting together a list of materials for you guys. So you can attempt to build your own. Or have it built for you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'll start from the throttle body and go to the filter.

1. 1 2 3/4" to 3" coupler. Like this one. I had this.

2. 1 3" vacuum adaptor. Like this one. I bought this at Autozone.
This comes with a plastic coupler. I will relace the coupler though.

3. 1 90* elbow. Like this one. I bought this at Autozone.

4. 1 4" straight tube. Like this one. I bought this at Autozone. It
comes with a plastic coupler. I will replace the coupler though.

5. 1 3" universal coupler. Like this one. I had this.

6. 1 Mass air flow sensor tube from an '04-'06 2.5l Sentra or Altima.
I bought mine on eBay. The good thing is the tube comes with the
sensor. These are expensive. The seller I bought mine from has 2
auctions right now. This one and this one. $39.95 + $8 shipping.
The good thing about this is the sensors are the same as ours.
So we can have a spare.

7. 1 MAF tube filter adapter. Like this one. I used 2 1/2" bolts and
2 1" bolts to secure it to the MAF tube. The 1" on the bottom
for the brackets.

8. 1 Filter. Make sure it will fit on the sensor tube adapter. I used an
AEM Dryflow. Like this one.

9. 2 Custom made brackets. I used some 1/4" x 1" flat steel. The
bottom one was 6". The side one was 9". I just bent them to fit.
2 nuts to secure it to the MAF tube. (see #7) 2 bolts to secure it
to the truck.

10. 2 Rubber grommets. I used these between the brackets and truck
body. To give the intake some flex and dampening.

Good luck to all. Post some pics when you get it done.

*The only problem I can forsee is the MAF plug on your trucks. On my first try at a CAI, I extended my wires by cutting and soldering about 10" of extra wire to reach. So, I'm not sure if your wires will reach where I have my MAF tube. They are packed in a track behind the rubber tube on top of the motor. Make sure you look to see if these will reach before doing this. You may have to extend yours too or put the MAF tube closer to the throttle body. I apologize for not remembering this sooner.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
hey Canes... This is my current setup.. Do you think i would gain any more power with your setup? Inside the filter box, i cut my stock filter to the rubber, and basically used it as a gasket

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think i would gain any more power with your setup?
More power? I couldn't tell you that. But cooler air? Yes.

The sound is awesome isn't it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i love it man... Inside the cab, i sometimes feel like im in a race. haha

·
Registered
140 Posts
i did basically the same thing as sly tuna except i have a k and n drop in filter and i just disconnected that hose that runs across and tucked the pipe down to get some cold air. I love the sound now.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Now I see why it took a year and a half of trial and error...that has to be the DUMBEST factory intake design I've ever seen!

Nice going...performance intakes (that work properly) are the best.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not to sound ignorant or anything but what would have stopped you from getting the intake manifold off a sentra se-r or altima 4cly out of a junkyard? The se-r's have a very large aftermarket following which should make it easy.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Not to sound ignorant or anything but what would have stopped you from getting the intake manifold off a sentra se-r or altima 4cly out of a junkyard? The se-r's have a very large aftermarket following which should make it easy.
I though of that. The Sentra motor is transverse. And because of this the intake would come in from the back of our motor by the firewall. There would be no room once the throttle body was put on to put on the intake tubing. If you could actually get the throttle body on. The very limited amount of room between the engine and firewall doesn't allow for any modification. Plus our throttle body is slightly bigger in diameter.
I also looked at the header system for the Sentra. If you look under the Sentra's hood from the front, you're looking at the side of the motor. Header goes straight down and under the car. Where our exhaust manifold is, it comes down and then back at an angle and goes under the truck because of a motor mount.
The Sentra intake manifold and the exhaust header will fit our motor(QR25DE). However, because of the different way the motor sits in our trucks, they won't fit.

Here's a couple of pics of the Sentra intake manifold and the way it sits in the SpecV.............

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I think you missed something here................its called opportunity. You did a great job and like Penski has done, make alittle side cash. Take some prepay orders assemble everything and sell. There are many people that want something together with instructions that will pay alittle more. And others that will do it all themselves, and still others that are a mix. I mean you system is good and worthy of alittle more pay, you might even do what KN and others have done and build a box to seal out all underhood heat.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think you missed something here................its called opportunity. You did a great job and like Penski has done, make alittle side cash. Take some prepay orders assemble everything and sell. There are many people that want something together with instructions that will pay alittle more. And others that will do it all themselves, and still others that are a mix. I mean you system is good and worthy of alittle more pay, you might even do what KN and others have done and build a box to seal out all underhood heat.
I actually thought about making a kit and selling it on here and ebay. It works perfect on my truck. I gave a list of materials. If they want to try it they can. If someone lived close enough to me, I would help them if they wanted me to.

I looked for a cheap intake for a while. AFE, Nismo, K&N, and Airaid. I would've bought it and used the heat shield. I couldn't find one cheap. Maybe in the future I might fit something in there. I'm getting air temps in the mid 80's right now, so I'm in no hurry.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts