Nissan Frontier Forum banner

05 Automatic Transmition problem

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Dropdown3 
#1 ·
The other day I was playing in the dirt, climbing a small hill. I was slipping sideways so I rolled back down the hill a little. When I tried to go forward again, the moter just reved up, you could feel just the slightest forward strain but nothing. I went into 4 hi, low, 2wd. Let it sit. (It was not hot) I could go in reverse no problem so I backed out of the woods, back to paved roads. In 2wd in drive on the blacktop, the moter revs to 2800 or so and it starts to slowly move. When it gets going fast enough to get out of first and into 2nd and beyond it seems to lock up fine and drive normally, but, when you stop and have to start again you sit there reving it up hoping it will move.
Anyone know what this is...... Blown up tranny?
Thanks!

#2 ·
its probably the tranny's fail safe mode, it puts it into 4th gear when it sees a problem so that you can still make it to a shop. try resetting and see if it continues, and if it does go to the dealer so they can read the tcu and see whats up. you can't do it with a normal scanner

#4 ·
Yes, reset the ECU. ECU controls the transmission, ECU/TCM = same module.

Why do I know this?.. had major transmission issues that made no sense, nissan threw a new transmission in my truck without consulting me first, they didn't even think to change the ECU, .. new transmission still didn't work, told them to change the ECU, .. wah la, PERRRFECT. Still tried to charge me for a new transmission. Stupid effers they are.

Remove ground cable from battery, touch ground cable to the POS battery terminal to discharge the system, maybe wait a good few minutes for "just in case" measure. Hook er' back up, see what happens.

#12 ·
It is a matter of preference, you could also turn on the headlights, toot the horn, play the radio, turn on the wipers etc, etc, etc... The issue is to SAFELY draw down the ECM power, of which your method is one. So long as the means justifies the end. Putting a neg battery cable to a pos battery cable, that is still hooked up to the pos battery post, is asking for trouble.

#14 ·
You guys are forgetting that you have to spin around 3 times... yell out your name twice and then stroke the left fender saying "good girl". lol

#18 ·
Transmission Slipping

The first thing I would do is remove the radiator cap. It should be clean, no white-like substance or what others refer to as a strawberry milkshake residue indicating the mixing of ATF and anti-freeze. Next, reset the ECU with your method of preference. If this doesn't diagnose or fix your problem, check your ATF level. If its hesitating or shifting late, maybe a pressure control solenoid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.