Nissan Frontier Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, by removing the liner, the screws will be visible . Remove the wheels so you can reach them easy without using long extensions. Open hood seems harder since you'll need to "feel" the screws first to remove them. I can say from. 1 to 10 , I'll give it a 7. One more thing, best to change the plenum gaskets as well and check valve cover gasket for leaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heyo!

Just picked up a '16 5-spd. 2.5 2wd w/30k miles. I haven't had any issues but I'm going to be looking for a group to contact regarding any future modification or repairs.

Thank you for doing this!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a new 2016 S Frontier in February of 2016 as I headed out the door into glorious retirement. Came with the QR25-5spd automatic, A/C, CC and basic radio. Mounted a Curt trailer hitch and pulled an 18 foot enclosed U-Haul with all my stuff in it from ST Louis to Colorado with no issues. Just turned 23k miles. Use Mobil 1 synthetic at 5k mile intervals. Zero issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's time for me to do spark plug.
How much easier on a scale 1 to 10 is it to remove the fender liner than with the hood open?
Have you done both ways?
To change my plugs, I just used a mirror and a bright light to see the manifold bolts from the top. They are way in there. It's a little tricky because you have to move your socket extension in the opposite direction from what you think. You are looking at a refection in a mirror so move up to go down and move right to go left. There are only 3 bolts in the middle and two nuts, one at each end to help alignment of the manifold when you re-install it. When ready to install the manifold, put the 3 bolts into the manifold then put a piece of masking tape over the 3 bolt heads to keep them from falling out but make sure the bolt ends can move to flush with the manifold mounting surface. Carefully place the manifold over the studs at the ends then put the nuts on loosely first then you can start the 3 bolts into the head. Important to tighten the bolts evenly then tighten the nuts last. Also don't forget to change the manifold O-ring gaskets. You only want to do this job once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have not used the Nissan data scan. Not sure what that is frankly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nissan data scan is a laptop program that emulates the dealer level scan tool . you are able to read faults and do active tests on all the modules At,ABS,SRS etc,,,,,, you are supposed to be able to program idle speed relearn SAS etc. This software is supposed to be able to do way more than the generic obd scan tools you can buy which can only really do emission related functions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an OBDII that reads live data however the data seems so cryptic it's difficult for me to determine what the normal values should be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the data scan app. something I could purchase and load onto my laptop without forfeiting a major investment?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is the data scan app. something I could purchase and load onto my laptop without forfeiting a major investment?
Yes and no. There is a trial version of thre program you can download from them for free to test connectivity and compatibility with your vehicle. Most of the functions will be locked the intent is to be able to ensure the software works on wgatever laptop you are using and adapter can connect to vehicle before buying. The software is really not that much money anyway. You will need a usb cable to connect from the car to laptop. They give a list of cables known to work and they can be purchased many places. The issue is that nissan has changed the communication protocall ocer the years and there are three versions of data scan software on the web site. None of the three have been confirmed to work on my 08 4 banger although it has been confirmed on the 6 cylinder . It would stand to reason that it willl work on the 4 since it works on the six but i guess no one has tried since there are not as many of us 4 banger guys on the road. That was the original purpose of my post i was wondering if anyone was using it and what version. I thought maybe i would find someone who could advise me .
Google nissan data scan and see for yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got an '06 XE manual w/107k on it. 2 wheel drive and 4 cylinders of course. It's my new work truck. I got it to match my '05 LE, which is almost at 170k. Great trucks, hope to get a million miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 4 banger 06 with 245,000 on the engine. some how my balance shaft gear had stripped and free wheels on the shaft. That's wasn't bad until I started to look for a replacement. it's either weld it up and have it machined down or buy a replacement engine..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought a new 2018 Frontier S (new old stock from the dealer). Had 26 miles on the odo. 4x2 King cab with auto trans 2.5L 4-cyl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all.
2019 frontier 4cyl KC 2wd auto. Had it less than 2 months. Love it so far. Bed Rug liner installed, stereo upgrade in progress, brighter light bulbs.
So far no issues, other than a "slow" start a couple times. Truck started eventually, just had to crank longer. Started turning the ignition key on and waiting until I heard a click (relay?). Hasn't been a problem since I started doing this procedure.
Love it so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 S 5 spd manual, ruby red got it in Feb. Barely broken in at 1200 miles. She's not the biggest, baddest truck and she doesn't have the biggest balls, but I still like her. The gearbox is starting to loosen up a little and its quite satisfying rowing through the gears. One thing I didn't like was the cargo light coming on when the doors weren't closed properly. When it killed my battery i disconnected the light. Hand crank windows are a little weird but its another less thing to have to replace. Overall Its what I wanted, hoping for many years and miles.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts