Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start a list of who owns 2nd gen ('05 or newer) 4 cylinder Frontiers so I can keep in touch with fellow 4 cylinder owners about problems that may be specific to the 4's (2wd only). From reading other threads on this forum I can see there have been lots of issues on the 6's and 4x4's but I am not hearing much at all on 4 cylinder and 2wd drives. If the 2nd gen 4 cylinder owners would post here I will accumulate your forum names and use the Private messaging function to contact all of you regarding reliability, malfunction and warranty issues on 4 cylinders. I will then accumulate the data and post my findings back here on this 4 banger forum. It might help give us all a clearer picture of how these 4's are holding up long term. I am guessing that so far there has been very little that has gone wrong with the 4's just by the lack of complaints and issues brought up. ( It could also be we just have a very small percentage of the users on this forum who are owners of 2nd gen 4's and the majority are V6 owners. Won't know until I can develop a full list of the 2nd gen owners.) Even if you don't have any problems, I still would like to know you are out there as a 4 cylinder owner.

If someone else wants to do the same for 1st gen ('04 or older ) 4 cylinders that would be ok too but I will leave that up to someone who is a 1st gen 4 cylinder owner.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The reason you hear about issues with v6 models is because that is the majority of what people buy. The market for 4 cyl 2 wd models is very small

·
Registered
335 Posts
4 banger here truck has been great almost 89000 on my mine only had a couple of thing with mine 2 wheel bearings fan clutch and alternator all under warranty but one wheel bearing going to change the motor mount and tranny mount soon along with plugs

·
Registered
812 Posts
06 xe 4 banger 40000 miles nothing major yet just regulars like tires oil changes. i do drive it like i stole it :D and thats all so far! oh wait broke the muffler this past weekend out at glamis driving like i was racing everyone. i was trying to drive it till it broke trailer it home but i guess it stands on its feet and hung on!! been pretty happy and def. reliable:noworries:

·
Registered
364 Posts
2012 SV 2wd 2.5L for me. searched it out because it is exactally what I wanted. 20000 on it in less than a year and not a single issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My 2009 Equator premium has 36000 miles. Truck makes a slipping fan belt sound in the winter when it is cold that last about 3 to 5 minutes and that gradually gets quieter. Guess I should have fixed it last winter when it was still under warranty. I'll probably fix it when it makes it constantly. No noise last summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another Four Banger Here

I have a 2008 SE Extended Cab, 5 speed 4 cylinder with 93,000 miles.

I've had no warranty issues or repairs performed on this truck as of yet, however while having my rear brakes done last week, the mechanic noticed one side of my rear axle was leaking. I have the extended warranty of 7 years/100K, so I hope to bring it in soon to have it covered.

Small issues I've had/noticed:

-Creaky clutch pedal, I had to manually fill a small rubber booty with grease below the tranny. This did the trick.

-The ribbons that attach the various heat shields on my exhaust have been breaking, causing some raspy noises. I've been taking them off as they've become issues.

All in all, I have no major complaints, this truck does everything I need (camping, pulling small trailers/boats, etc.) and gets decent mileage while doing it.

Note:
-I run mobil synthetic oil, with 5,000 mile change intervals.
-I have a reusable K&N air filer.
-Gas mileage (MPG, mix of city and highway) 21-22 summer, 17-18 winter.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll add ronpozoromo to the 4cylinder contact list and this thread. He has a 2nd gen 4cylinder 5spd manual. He noted a problem with the clutch safety switch as being plastic and it can be easily fixed with a metal nut and bolt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 4 cylinder, 5 speed with 111,500 miles. The truck has been pretty good to me, but I have had recurring problems with the idler pulley. It was replaced at 60,000 miles because of squealing (especially on wet days). It is squealing again, and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I will have to do it myself this time.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is one more 4 cylinder owner who's taken it well past 100,000 miles:

Originally Posted by xtopherfishing
THanks DKOBER101, I have a '08 4cylinder. Do you recall about what mileage you had on the odometer when the alternator went out? As close as you can guess is fine. I am trying to track some of the 4cylinder problems on the 4banger forum. I assume yours is a 4 cylinder? Thanks for the help.
Some wheres in the neighborhood of 100-115K.

123,XXX on the 06 XE 2.5L now, and still going strong.

However, I do think I will be replacing the cat soon. Damn P0420 code keeps popping up every 300 or so miles.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mine's a 4 Popper. I love it but I need a 4wd. Maybe this coming summer a SV 4x4 can happen.

Mine is still under warrantee. It has had problems with the charcoal canister and mass airflow lights. I had the same problem with my 05 SE crew 4wd and my 2000 desert runner.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more to add to our group of 4 cylinder owners of 2n gen frontiers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxihacker
Sure I have 90839 miles
Thank you for the information. I will post your mileage and name in the 4banger forum where I have my survey thread. (I'm trying to get all the 2nd gen 4cylinder owners into one thread. Thanks again,

chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2012 Frontier S, 4 Cyl,5 sp that I bought new in 10/11. Have 26000 miles on it now,and have had no issues.I chose the plain jane model because I wanted simplicity and reliability. So far,so good. The truck still feels as solid as the day I brought it home.I average around 24 mpg.The truck is serviced under the severe maintenance guide. Im old school and just cannot allow it to go 7500 miles between oil changes.
My service guy at the dealer was telling me about a local business that has a small fleet of these trucks with well over 100000 miles on them,and very few problems.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True Delta survey for 2nd gen 4 cylinder frontiers....

So far I have contacted 19-2nd gen 4 cylinder frontier truck owners with a request to contact True Delta and participate in thier online reliability survey of our trucks. I hope most have done so. It will be a good source of information if enough owners register so we all could look to see how our trucks compare to others out there. Consumer Reports lists the V6 in their reliability surveys but has too few participants to list the 4 cylinders. In order to participate with them you have to order their magazine subscription. There is no cost with True Delta. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I talked to you already but yea I have a 2010 xe 4 banger 5 speed that wont die, I tried to kill the tranny (long story) and I jus cant, I really love the truck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
2012 4 cyl, 5 speed manual less than 6,000 miles

·
Registered
149 Posts
07 xe with "appearance package" basically a SE with 4 cylinder engine. Have 60,000 miles on the odometer. Have had not to many problems! Clutch fan belt got fixed, and...some raspy heat shielding under the truck.. Other then that.. Still drives solid like day 1. I'll put her on the real test this summer.. I'm transferring from Ohio to Oregon this June... And will pull about 2000lbs (2 motorcycles in a enclosed uhaul trailer) I bet she'll do fine. Love this truck.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I now have 35 names on my list of 2nd gen 4cylinder owners who are using this forum or have in the past. I am encouraging all to register with True Delta so we can get a valid statistical reliability study done of these 2.5 liter 4 cylinders. thank you guys/gals for your help in this survey.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts