Nissan Frontier Forum banner

481 - 492 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you want to do an idle air volume relearn, it's not done by disconnecting the battery cables. It's a learned function and leaving the battery disconnected will only erase the stored memory. It's not the same as erasing the self-learning memory of the ECM. To do the idle air volume relearn, you need to have a scan tool that has that capability or go through the complicated manual procedure listed above. Also, disconnecting the battery for a long time can also erase the steering wheel position memory for the VDC system, which will result in setting a C-code and turning on the VDC/SLIP warning lights. Sometime, driving in a straight line will correct it, but if not, that, too, will have to be re-learned with a capable scan tool.
Mine did exactly that (slip light) but as soon as I drove around for a while it went out. I Still should do the air idle volume relearn...don’t have a scan tool so may have to get my handy stopwatch ready :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used a max energy Ecu remap. If I use it to go back to “stock” settings will that only erase the memory as well or will that relearn and do the trick?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I called Volant customer service directly where they confirmed the 12540 still has a gaping hole in the corner, so I decided to go with the 12640 even though it's meant for pre-facelift Frontiers. I took a few pics since most of them in the thread have disappeared or been blurred by Photobucket.

1) The mounting holes are still dumb. I couldn't get the lowest bolt close enough to the hole to thread it.

2) The upper rear of the air box contacts the a brake line a little too much for comfort.

3) The 'ram-air' scoop, in addition to being behind the plastic radiator shroud, also routes to directly behind the A/C dryer, so there's not a way to make it effective without custom ducting.

4) This one comes with a 2in horn relocation bracket but on my 2017 truck, it still wasn't enough so I just relocated them to behind the grill and extended the wires about 12in, real easy.

No, I haven't noticed a boost in power but living at 5500ft elevation, figured anything that helps the truck (maybe) breathe better is good. Kinda bummed the part of the engine cover that displays the Nissan logo was part of the OEM intake ducting, but oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I called Volant customer service directly where they confirmed the 12540 still has a gaping hole in the corner, so I decided to go with the 12640 even though it's meant for pre-facelift Frontiers. I took a few pics since most of them in the thread have disappeared or been blurred by Photobucket.

1) The mounting holes are still dumb. I couldn't get the lowest bolt close enough to the hole to thread it.

2) The upper rear of the air box contacts the a brake line a little too much for comfort.

3) The 'ram-air' scoop, in addition to being behind the plastic radiator shroud, also routes to directly behind the A/C dryer, so there's not a way to make it effective without custom ducting.

4) This one comes with a 2in horn relocation bracket but on my 2017 truck, it still wasn't enough so I just relocated them to behind the grill and extended the wires about 12in, real easy.

No, I haven't noticed a boost in power but living at 5500ft elevation, figured anything that helps the truck (maybe) breathe better is good. Kinda bummed the part of the engine cover that displays the Nissan logo was part of the OEM intake ducting, but oh well.
If you have trouble with the mounting holes being flush to the bottom of the air box, you may need to bend down the bracket extension (which has a mounting point on it, as well) on the ABS actuator about 3/4". I ran into the same issue on my 06 and 08 Pathfinders. I ended up returning the Volant because the first kit's instructions mentioned the horn bracket but Volant told me they did away with it and it wouldn't fit with the horns and then the kit with the "cut out" was exchanged for it and I thought it was a stupid design. I got my money back on the Volant and purchased the aFe Momentum GT CAI kit; it was more money but definitely a better designed system and horn clearance isn't an issue. Another reason was, at the time, Volant told me there wasn't a dry filter available for the Pathfinder system but there was a dry filter option on the aFe system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got it to fit well enough, just without that bottom bolt. Reading through this thread made me realize there's a lot of people not inclined to do that extra bit of work which is why I posted my install. That aFe looks awesome and I really considered it, but getting the Volant for sub-$200 shipped was too good a deal.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
BTW, when I contacted Volant about the fitment issue, they sent me three spacers and longer bolts to mount the air box at no cost. IMO, they should have installed that as standard equipment. I'm not sure if they do now, or not, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll try calling them for that, but since I put the 2007 model in my 2017 truck I dunno if it'll fly. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok here is my dilemma....I want to get a little more tourque out of my Frontier but Im not allowed to get a Cold Air Intake(long story). I was wondering if gettting the K&N Drop in would help me out or will it just be the same as the Fram Filters.... and besides doing the intake box Mod ..what can I do to gain a little more tourque/ HP
get a throttle body spacer

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Go for an Intake Manifold Spacer (XTP IMS) - instead of a throttle body spacer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
get a throttle body spacer
Yeah sorry throttle body doesn’t do ****. I meant to say intake manifold spacer. It’s supposed to increase hp by 20. But it’s like $300. Imo I’d just save that money for your suspension like Deavers, Titan swap, arb locker etc. just take the mesh out of the throttle body. It’s supposed to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah sorry throttle body doesn’t do ****. I meant to say intake manifold spacer. It’s supposed to increase hp by 20. But it’s like $300. Imo I’d just save that money for your suspension like Deavers, Titan swap, arb locker etc. just take the mesh out of the throttle body. It’s supposed to help.
Personally I’d just keep it stock beside the manifold spacer and a intake. When your engine blowed, vk56 swap that biatch !

481 - 492 of 492 Posts