Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 493 Posts

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Airaid Quickfit System
Link: http://www.airaid.com/520-188_nissan.asp
Price: $170 shipped from premiertruckaccesories.com or contact [email protected]
Claims 15HP and 12lb/ft
Notes: No removal of stock tube, replaces factory air box. Open air box style.

K&N Model 57-6014
Link: 57-6014 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit
Price: $248.95 at autoanything.com(coupons are usually available for additional savings)
Claims 14.27 HP
Notes: Fully replaces stock intake housing and stock intake tube with plastic tube. Open air box style.

K&N Model 77-6014
Link: 77-6014KP - K&N Product # Not Found,
Price: $291.85 at younissanparts.com(A site sponsor!) use coupon code: clubfrontier at checkout for additional savings)
Claims 11.63HP
Notes: NOT C.A.R.B. EXEMPT!! Fully replaces stock intake housing and stock intake tube with polished aluminum tube. Open air box style.

Injen Power Flow
Link: Injen - :
Price: $355.00 at burtmanindustries.com (a site sponsor, contact jason)
Claims 17HP and 15 lb/ft (test shown on a Pathfinder)
Notes:Comes in Black and Chrome finishes. Fully replaces stock intake housing and stock intake tube with aluminum tube. Closed air box.

Volant Cool Air Intake
Link: Sorry, the page you are looking for is not available.
Price: $329.00 at younissanparts.com(A site sponsor!) use coupon code: clubfrontier at checkout for additional savings)
Claims 18 HP and upto 40lb/ft (I'll beleive it when I see it, couldn't find any dyno curves)
Notes: Fully replaces stock intake housing and stock intake tube with plastic tube. Also I believe the horn needs to be relocated to install. Closed air box

AFE Stage 2 Intake
Link: advanced FLOW engineering : Review v3 :
Price: $208 at younissanparts.com(A site sponsor!) use coupon code: clubfrontier at checkout for additional savings)
Claims 15HP and 11lb/ft (no dyno info found)
Notes: Fully replaces factory airbox and stock intake tube with plastic tube. Open air box style.

NISMO R-tune Intake
Link: MyNismo.com - NISMO R-Tune Cold Air Intake System
Price: $281.30 at performancenissan(A site sponsor!)
Claims 10.5 HP and 9.5lb/ft at the rear wheels(no dyno info found)
Notes: Genuine NISMO part. Fully replaces factory airbox and stock intake tube with aluminum tube powdercoated black. Open air box style

AEM Brute Force
Link: AEM - BRUTE FORCE Intakes
Price: Current group buy through SoCal MotorSports AEM Brute Force CAI - GROUP BUY - Nissan Frontier / Navara Forum PM SCMS ERIK for price!!
Claims: I thought I saw 14hp somewhere but no proof yet??
Notes: Uses DryFlow filter(not oiled). Fully replaces factory airbox and stock intake tube with polished aluminum tube. Open air box style
(thanks Zeek)

Stillen Hi-Flow Intake
Link: STILLEN : STILLEN Hi-Flow Intake Kit
Price: $255.00 at Stillen.com
Claims??? (haven't found any HP claims)
Notes: No removal of stock tube, replaces factory airbox and filer, includes hi-flow funnel, nice factory style fit and finish. Closed air box.
(thanks silvrbreez)

Fujita Competition Air Intake System (F5air)
Link: Fujita Competition Air Intake Systems, Fujita Competition Air Intake Systems
Claims: 15 hp and 13ft-lbs
Notes: Part # MA-2817, $398.00, it doesn't look like there's any box/baffle to contain the filter(thanks 06front)

I put together this list for those of you who may be looking for a new performance intake for your Frontier and have questions. The price listed with these parts are subject to change and you might be able to find something better, I will try to keep up with them as best as I can. Also if I have left any intakes or any info out please PM me. Also fitment issues,picture (ONE good picture of each is all that is necessary) and reviews may discussed in this thread.

PLEASE try to keep this post on topic, I will delete any post that does not pertain to this topic. Thanks!!

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
K&N 57 series review: Good intake for the money, decent SOTP incresses. Better trottle responce. Intake fit very well, the instructions were spot on. Putting on the rubber gasket around the sheild takes some time. Total install for me was about 45 mins in my driveway with basic tools. Tools you'll need a 10mm and a 14mm socket a flat head and philips head screw drivers plus some others just cant remember right now. Decent intake just unhappy with the open air box.
Its not the best photo but this is the K&N Installed

Volant review: Took the K&N out and changed to the Volant intake. Finish on the intake was very good. SOTP the intake had a little more power then the K&N and a good ammount over stock along with much better lower end when pulling hills with trailer. The install instructions left a lot be be desired. To install this intake right you need to remove the grill shell. Remove a plastic baffel that forces are into the side of the raditor. Also depending on your model might need to relocate or force move the horn a little. The tube is a little had to get to fit just right on both sides. Total install time is about an hour and a half to install with removing and reinstalling the grill. Tools: you need a 10mm and a 14mm socket a flat head and philips head screw drivers maybe some others too. So far very happy with it.
Installed

Edit: I also have a Magnaflow cat back exhaust system that might give slightly differnt SOTP mesurments than a stock exhaust

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
i concur with Irongrave's assesment of the 57 series K&N, i also have it, if no price it too low for an intake it's a great choice. i'd rate it an 7 out of 10, mostly because you do gain top end performance but it sacrifices a little on the bottom end (1k-3k rpm) and it can be found for relatively cheap. also there is a slight drone at highway speeds. install was very easy, took only a 30 mins or so

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
here is the series 77
Review: The sound is amazing past 3000K rpms 9/10. Only issue was the sealing around the heat shield. It took the longest to install.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
ChuckFrontier06 said:
Blinging Injen

did it have a big different in response and top end?? How does this intake sounds. i will need new mods since ill have a 3 body on with some 33s.. Let me know, i want some good ratings and willing to spend for the better ones.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Airaid Quick Fit intake. Works good and nice sound at WOT! I upgraded the filter to an AEM Dry flow filter though so I don't have to mess with oiling the filter. I really like the intake, reuses the lower portion of the stock airbox so you still get the connection to the fender well for drawing colder air, and it's one of the less expensive intakes for the frontier. Noticed an improvement in power from the butt dyno but no actual dyno numbers to show. Overall well woth the money.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Johnnyman88 said:
did it have a big different in response and top end?? How does this intake sounds. i will need new mods since ill have a 3 body on with some 33s.. Let me know, i want some good ratings and willing to spend for the better ones.

I will chime in on this, as I have the same intake, but in a black powder coat.

As for the body lift, you might need to get a little crafty in figuring out a way to mount the rubber bushing. Also, I could maybe foresee the intake tubing sitting more at an angle, due to the lift.

As for response, I sure noticed a difference, or so I think I did. :) It is also very loud under wide open throttle, but pretty mild under normal driving. If my camera recorded sound, I would try and get a sound clip.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
StormNismo, Nice job on the intake info, now a question for all you physics and aerodynamic genuises, What is the difference in HP gain at 5,000 feet with an intake mod vs the difference at sea level? Do you get a bigger difference up high because every bit of air makes a difference, or do you get a bigger difference down low because the overall pressure is higher?
My guess is the up high difference is better because you can only force so much air through the intake and your % gain with mods is higher at higher altitudes where every gram of air makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
19,618 Posts
Johnnyman88 said:
Kris answered your intake question the way I would have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got the K&N with a Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler and I really desire more low-end torque. Seems like all of the dynos show the power and torque peaks in the 4k-5k range. I know the characteristic of this engine is geared more toward high-end revving, but is there anything out there that will improve the low-end up to 2500 RPM?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
ttoulouse said:
I've got the K&N with a Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler and I really desire more low-end torque. still feels pretty gutless up to 2500 RPM. I know the engine's characteristics are geared more toward high RPMs, but is there a good way to improve the low-end?
I swapped intakes to get a little more low end. I tow a decent amount and felt like the K&N was hurting when pulling hills. Swapped if for the Volant and couldnt be happier. Adding a set of headers might help a little if you dont want to change your intake

·
Registered
24 Posts
What about changing the filter itself? seems like most all of these intakes are basically the same from the throttle body to the base of the filter. Is there another filter design that would yield more air flow? the AFE cone filters do not have the cap on the tip of the filter. Would this increase air flow?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
I'm not sure on that but I know the the pipe I had from the KN was more oval shaped and the pipe for the volant is more round. And the volant filter is a lot smaller.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I purchased an AEM Dryflow filter to hook up to my K&N intake. Looks like the measurements will work. From what I've read, the AEM should flow better than the K&N. Plus I like the no-oil idea.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I went trail riding this weekend and the shroud on the K&N held its own keeping the mud and water out of the filter.
Check out the pics:

you can see the clean square on the cover for the hood on top of the shroud:

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
crcampos said:
I went trail riding this weekend and the shroud on the K&N held its own keeping the mud and water out of the filter.
Check out the pics:

you can see the clean square on the cover for the hood on top of the shroud:
thats one of my big concerns (and one reason I still have a stock intake) all these big open boxes scare me. lots of water around here...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Anyone going to post about the AEM Brute Force?

·
Registered
504 Posts
i'll post bigger pix tmw or in couple days, but here is the link to my Fujita intake...got it for free, cuz they needed a test vehicle, and used mine...there is a short clip of my truck on the dyno on the top-right of the site...

http://www.f5air.com/feat_ma2817.html

·
Registered
370 Posts
badbrad358 said:
Anyone going to post about the AEM Brute Force?
ya thats what im wandering, im interested in the AEM brute force ill chose AEM over k&n any day

Mainerunr said:
thats one of my big concerns (and one reason I still have a stock intake) all these big open boxes scare me. lots of water around here...
ya i agree with you on that, im gettin one so that i'll have a reason to not go mudding, but i have to admit that person got some balls to go muddin with a open air box.

1 - 20 of 493 Posts