Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into making some sort of positive latch or magnetic catch for the flimsy fuel door? Mine closes ok and still works, sort of, but every time I fill up with gas I wonder why they designed such a hokey fuel door on an otherwise rock solid truck?

Anyone else have an issue with this?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Yes, a replacement door with a lock on it would be a modificatio I would be willing to
do.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Of course the Navara has a locking gas door! Why wouldn't it? It has everything else! In-Dash NAV, Auto A/C, Headlight Washers, a Turbo DIESEL Engine, and tons of accessories we'll never see! :x

I like your idea of the magnetic catch, I wonder if putting a piece of magnitic strip on the back side of the fuel door would work? Maybe attach it with some double-sided 3M tape...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have lots of various magnetic material and PSA for projects at work. I'll try to work something up and post some pics.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that thinks the fuel door is a little cheesey...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Glad to know others worry with this too. I treat the door like it's made of fine china and have warned the wife to treat the gas door with great care. It looks like the Accounting Dept. engineered this one.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
StormNISMO said:
In our favor the Frontier costs us about $10-15k less than the Navara!!
Yes the top specs navara in turbo diesle 6 speed is about $45k au about about $33.5k us.Because they ship them from spain and not asia any more we pay extra in frieght and because we have a population of 20 million we dont have the buying power you have.
There is stuff on the fronty we dont get and stuff that navara has that you miss out on.

and if i sound like im being a smart *** when i point out a difference i dont mean to im just having a laugh :D

If you keep asking nissen U.S. for the type stuff you want and they hear enough voices they will provide it if they want to stay in the market.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I took the little spring clip off the gas door and bent it with some pliers so it's a bit tighter. That seemed to work great for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
smokeydadog said:
I took the little spring clip off the gas door and bent it with some pliers so it's a bit tighter. That seemed to work great for me.
Hey, I like that idea! I wasn't sure of taking the spring and hinge apart but it sounds like its possible. I'm going to give that a shot and take pics of my project. If I don't screw it up I'll post them as a DIY fixit....

THANKS!!! :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Out of no where one day my fuel door wouldn't close all the way. I took it in the dealership and they ordered some parts (what exactally that meant I'm not sure) fixed it under warranty. It took them an hour and a half and at one point there were 4 service tech standing there looking at it. But for now it's fixed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ironically there is a recall for the gas cap tether, but the gas door assembly still needs a marked improvement. With the price of gas as high as it currently is, we'll all have to go to locking caps anyway - just to keep our petrol investment!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts