Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have aftermarket headers on their 05-06 Frontier?

I'm looking into the JBAs, are there any other brands for out truck?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think when i do decide to get headers i will get the JBA's... I had gibson headers on my S-10 and i liked those but i havent found any from them for the frontier. Although by the time i've set aside the money for headers, they will be available from more manufacturers.
btw, nice to see other oregonians on the forums... i'm in beaverton

·
Registered
226 Posts
ohh one more thing, i see you have the gibson exhaust on your truck... does that bolt all the way up at the cat with a Y-pipe?
I had a gibson setup on my other old S-10 and i liked it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I don't have the Gibson on my truck yet, I'm still waiting for the parts to be delivered, should be sometime this week though and I can't wait.

Here is a link to a review of the Gibson Cat-back exhaust done by a fellow Frontier owner. It should answer your question.

http://www.jackphelps.com/frontier/exhaust.htm

BTW are you a Duck fan? Also, how much improvement in HP did you Gibson headers provide your S10? Thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From glancing at the article, the Gibson exhaust provides a new Y-pipe.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was talking to my performance mechanic today, while they were adjusting my CAI, so it doesn't rattle anymore (no more rattle), and I asked how much HP the headers can induce. The guy said 30-40 in bigger trucks, and about 20 HP for the Frontier. Geez, I have to drop another 1k just to get this truck close to 300 HP.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
NISMO also has headers out for the truck, I think they were around $499......CourtesyParts.com has them I think.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked that website and many others and cannot find Nismo Headers for a 4.0 V6 2005 Frontier. I looked on nismoparts.com as well and they don't even mention it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you mean, not street legal? Where's your source?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Nissan tells you the NISMO headers are not street legal, but do they consider the JBS heads to be street legal? I'm betting they classify all headers the same regardless of who makes them! When you look at them, they are not that different in design.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
NISMOparts.com has em....Here
http://www.nismoparts.com/catalog/?section=570
No picture or info though....

I just searched around and got this info:

Nismo R-Tune Headers 05-up 4.0L Frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra
[14002-RND50] $539.95

MSRP: $650.00

Nismo R-Tune Headers
Fits all 4.0L Frontier, Pathfinder, and Xterra

R-Tune product (for off-road use only)
Increase HP and Torque by freeing up exhaust flow on your vehicle.
Made from high quality stainless steel, these headers offer a good performance increase along with excellent craftsmanship and welds

They're long tube headers, and they cut out the first two cats, making them not street legal for the US...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the link Inyourface. It is interesting that they are not street legal. Is that because of emissions (when you say cut out the first two cats)? It can't be because of horsepower, because they're tons of vehicles on the road with way more HP than our frontiers.

I definitely would like to know if this is the case with JBA as well. Also, how would anyone every know you have not street legal headers on your vehicle? That question might be best answered by 05Nismo.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
chargedup05,

If the NISMO reqire theat two CATs be removed, that would explain why they are not street legal! As far as I know the JBA retain all the CAT, thus the name CAT Forward Headers! If this is the only difference, than I would guess the JBA would be stret legal. I did not know the NISMO Headers required to the removal of two CATs though...

·
Registered
81 Posts
depending on where u live is how they would discover if they are legal or not, in ny and cal. at least you have to have a visual inspection of the emisions and they may see it then or they also have to hook the exhaust to a machine that may tell them whether it will pass or not

·
Registered
361 Posts
This may help, cats are the catalytic converters required by all 50 states to help lessen exhaust pollution. These cannot be removed unless replaced with an equal or better unit. Each smog legal device allowed in California has a CARB number showing that said product does not reduce the efficiency of the smog control system.

The JBA header has a CARB number.

Charged, our 63 series K&N CAI does not, at this time, have a CARB number. The 77 series does. I was told it is just a matter of time until the 63 series gets it's CARB number. Since you live in Oregon, this does not affect you at all, but I will have to either re-install the stock unit before my next smog test or get a CARB number.

·
Registered
81 Posts
just got the call today saying the JBA headers i ordered wont be shipped till mid may now, cant say i'm very happy about that. they better be worth it that all i have to say

·
Registered
333 Posts
chargedup05 said:
I was talking to my performance mechanic today, while they were adjusting my CAI, so it doesn't rattle anymore (no more rattle), and I asked how much HP the headers can induce. The guy said 30-40 in bigger trucks, and about 20 HP for the Frontier. Geez, I have to drop another 1k just to get this truck close to 300 HP.
Put headers exuast a cold air intake and dyno it before and after, id say 15-18whp max, but there would probably be improvements in the overal power band.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts