Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just want to confirm that the rear diff in my 04 Frontier 4x4 w/ LSD is indeed 2.8 liters (about 3 quarts). My fill plug is seized and stripped. so i ended up blindly filling the diff through the breather vent hole. Only 1qt of oil came out when i went to drain it. :( Hopefully nothing is damaged. While i was at it i performed the fuel filter breather mod since the old beather was rusted and clogged.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yep, just did mine. Right at 3. My front filler plug is stuck, and on the verge of being striped. I only have about 250lbs of torque on my gun. Size matters. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, just did mine. Right at 3. My front filler plug is stuck, and on the verge of being striped. I only have about 250lbs of torque on my gun. Size matters. LOL
great thank you!

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
1,037 Posts
Can you get the drain and fill plugs out, and replace them with new ones wrapped in Teflon tape so they won't get stuck again?

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
One can get a new fill plug from Nissan; they are only around $3...about $8 if you need the drain plug. If the fill plug is stripped, there are a couple of things you can do to remove it (make sure you have a new one to replace it with after you remove it). You can take an air hammer with a chisel bit and use it against the edge of the drain plug to cut a notch into the drain plug and then drive the plug counter-clockwise until it breaks loose and can be removed by more conventional means. If it's really tight, you can take a long piece of steel and weld it to the plug, itself, and then turn the piece of steel to remove the plug.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. I'm actually thinking about leaving it for now since I already have it filled with new oil. I originally tried impacting it off which led to rounded out the bolt. Then I tried torching it and using a big vise grip and jack to turn the vise grip and no luck!. The truck has 180k on it, so if I can get another 100k out of it I would be happy. Luckily I had no issues with the front diff.

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
1,037 Posts
One can get a new fill plug from Nissan; they are only around $3...about $8 if you need the drain plug. If the fill plug is stripped, there are a couple of things you can do to remove it (make sure you have a new one to replace it with after you remove it). You can take an air hammer with a chisel bit and use it against the edge of the drain plug to cut a notch into the drain plug and then drive the plug counter-clockwise until it breaks loose and can be removed by more conventional means. If it's really tight, you can take a long piece of steel and weld it to the plug, itself, and then turn the piece of steel to remove the plug.
X2.

Also I'm a big fan of PB Blaster. Soak that thing up good, multiple times (as in over the course of several days), while tapping on it and it may easily come out.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I never recommend using an impact gun on a differential or transfer case drain or fill plug. It seems like a good idea but most of the time it just messes up the plug. I always use a breaker bar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts