Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am having an odd electrical issue. If anyone has any recommendations that would be much appreciated. I first noticed the problem after installing an after market fog light kit in my '03 Crew cab Frontier. The kit was simple and had good reviews. I had a mechanic friend help install it and we pulled power directly off the + terminal of the battery. The fog lights still work great! A couple days later I noticed:
-None of the electric windows roll down - on any door. They all worked fine previously and I checked the window lock button and the fuse was fine.
-The rear defrost wont come on although it had been several months since i tried that.
-The cruse control wont come on.
-The A/C is no longer cold, although the compressor turns on. I just had the A/C repaired last may and was working great! I had not used it for a few months though until we had a warm spell a couple weeks ago.
-The map reading lights come on when i push them sometimes and other times they dont. There seems to be no pattern.

I am not certain all of thee are connected. But I discovered them with in a few days of each other and last time i tried them all they worked fine. All other electronics work including door locks and mirrors. Im guessing it could be a ground issue? Some other notes are that we ran one wire through the firewall for the switch of the fog lights. Inside we pulled power from the fuse box using a piggy back fuse connector. We placed it in the ignition fuse slot so the lights would go off with the ignition. The ignition works fine and so do the lights. I do not know if the fog lights are related but it is the only thing I have done to the truck recently. Any tips are welcome!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Start by removing everything you added, checking all fuses, and checking all factory grounds.

My guess is the AC is unrelated.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Confused... you said you pulled power from the battery +, but then you also pulled power off the fusebox?

I'm guessing there is a relay that one contact takes the 12v positive off the battery and (when energized) sends it directly to the lights, and you are using the switched 12v to power (through the fog light switch) the relay coil.

Is that correct?

I'd second what the other poster suggested. But I'd also make sure you aren't backfeeding power into the fusebox or to the loads that are acting up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Yes RedDR what you said is correct. there is a relay. I will check into that possibility!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts