Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people have found with the manual trans and rear end changing gear oil. GL-4? GL-5? It never gets cold here in San Diego, CA... I have several bottles of 80-90 GL-5 in the garage, hoping I can use those.

Thanks!

PS I'll snap some pics of my truck after I wash it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sitting next to my computer is my trusty Haynes manual(I have a 03 frontier auto trans)anyhow here's what I'm reading in the manual.

manual transmission lubricant

2003 and later......75w-85 gl-4 gear oil

differential
standard.......80w90 gl-5 gear oil
limited slip.....80w90 gl-5 lsd gear oil gear oil approved for nissan limited slip differentials.
Transfer case.... dexron 3 atf
auto trans fluid dexron 3 atf
So no matter what yall need gl-4 for the manual tran. according to haynes
Might wana dblchck at auto store.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for looking. I need to get a manual for this truck. I found another thread where people said the GL5 is no good in these transmissions, makes the shifting notchy? I'll try to find a full synthetic GL4 for the trans and just put the 80-90 GL5 I already have in the diff. Should be good with that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep this is a great forum, but it's nice to have the manual, course don't forget nissanhelp.com cause you can go straight to the factory service manual, talk about involved. I did the auto trans. and filter change along with the rear diff it really helps and that oil gets ugly, in fact need to do again soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weird. I checked at Autozone, and all the fluids are GL5 or GL3,4, and 5. The other thread said the multi-spec oils aren't good. Gotta go to dealer I guess??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Course I have the auto so my tran used dexron 3 tran fluid for the diff I used 80w90 and the cheap stuff as money wuz a problem, next time I'll use some synthetic tho it's getting crazy expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts