Nissan Frontier Forum banner

02 Frontier Engine Swap

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Sartor 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 Frontier 5-speed manual that the engine blew. I bought a used engine from a 2002 Frontier automatic. There was just one little problem with this. The auto engine does not use a bilot bearing for the transmission input shaft. I tried to install the pilot bearing of the manual transmission onto the rear engine but it won't fit. Bearing is too big. So what I have now it that the input shaft of the transmission is fitting loosely onto the rear main.
Does anyone have an input into this? I have been stuck on this for a while now and need this truck back up for hunting season coming up soon. I'm beginning to think it may be ok to just install it as it is, with no bearing. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'm sure all the engines are the same prior to being mated to a transmission.
I don't know how to solve this issue but the bearing is there for support to the shaft. Should you skip using it I imagine the truck will be undrivable.
Possibly you can have a new bearing machined to fit.
Good luck.

Clint

#3 ·
I called my dealer and he said the engines should be the same. Are you sure there isn't a bearing in the engine you bought. He said there should have been one.

Clint

#5 ·
Many many thanks for all the input/advice. And Frontier2, you are right. There is indeed a spacer plate. I used a puller and was able to get it out. Now it is the same as the one from the old engine. I really would have screwed up the transmission installing it without the pilot bushing. Should have everything installed and ready to test in the next 2 weeks. Thanks all

#6 ·
Good to hear that it's working out for you. After you posted your issue I called my dealer as I needed to be sure what I was thinking was correct and now you confirmed it.

Clint

#8 ·
Just a follow-up on this post. I finally finished my engine swap and able to start and run the car. Car runs rather good. It's been a long year getting this truck back on the road. In addition, I have a new Exedy clutch kit (Pressure plate, clutch disk, and throwout bearing), new timing belt, water pump, and I also changed all the gear fluids (differential, transfer, gear oil, etc).
Only issue I have now is I'm getting a P0335 (Crankshaft position sensor) code. I think this was because I stretched the cable while trying to install the transmission so I'll have to figure out what to do about this. It is a part of the wiring harness so it will be rather tricky to really mess with it.
Also after looking around the forum on how to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt, I found a very easy way to do it. I will post a separate topic on that in a little bit.
Thanks to all for the help provided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.