Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight thump when I come to a complete stop and start to accelerate on my 02 Frontier 4x4. The thump is not that bad it just annoys me every time I stop and accelerate I feel it a little. I read on here it could be the slip yoke and there's a grease fitting on the drive shaft for it. Can someone please tell me if it's ok to pump grease into the fitting on the slip yoke, and how much should I pump into it before I should stop? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could be any number of things. U-joints. Brakes. Swaybar links/bushings. Struts. Etc., etc.

If you can halfway isolate what part of the truck it is coming from...front or back....then you can get under it with a pry bar and start tracking it down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be any number of things. U-joints. Brakes. Swaybar links/bushings. Struts. Etc., etc.

If you can halfway isolate what part of the truck it is coming from...front or back....then you can get under it with a pry bar and start tracking it down.
It sounds like it's coming towards the back, like right under the seats.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Go check your transmission mount being it's an 02 probably not much left to it anymore

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sorry to say now you have something for Fathers day to do because that is SHOT see the cracks in rubber and no space your mount pry up on or not it is less than $20 just do it you'll see might wanna take a look at your motor ones also

You can go to auto-part store and check compare it to yours

Tried to insert pic didn't work here is a link to the best side view I could find when installed you should still see a gap like in pic granted it will collapse a little but not like yours
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5621397&cc=1388055&jsn=428&jsn=428

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to say now you have something for Fathers day to do because that is SHOT see the cracks in rubber and no space your mount pry up on or not it is less than $20 just do it you'll see might wanna take a look at your motor ones also

You can go to auto-part store and check compare it to yours

Tried to insert pic didn't work here is a link to the best side view I could find when installed you should still see a gap like in pic granted it will collapse a little but not like yours
More Information for WESTAR EM8964
So your saying mine is collapsed in the middle and it shouldn't be? I'm going to try and get a better look at it tomorrow. How do you replace one of these, is it something I can do in my driveway?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I forgot to ask another easy check is if yours is a stick does the whole shifter assembly move up and down a lot with amount of gas ? and yes you can as long as you have some sockets and either a breaker bar cheater pipe for leaverage to drop the crossmember if needed think you will with the frontier.

To me that mount looks done and I would replace it. Just for the cost of part its a cheap gotta be done sooner or later part anyway I would say anywhere depending on abuse best scenario is 100k I blew every 40k give or take on my firebird just beating on it

First spray a perpetrator pb blaster or similar spray all the bolts and [email protected] mount and cross member day or 2 before and spray again before getting under there
Get a jack with a 2x8 or similar place under tranny block your wheels lift till on it don't try from tail though now loosen the bolts holding to transmission then loosen the the bolts holding mount to cross member then lift till it clears watching your tunnel against protruding connectors and such stick your hand up there and feel around if there's not enough room lower back a little move to
Plan B get your breaker bar and drop cross member install is reverse DIY has a listing torque spec to go should bein there if not call someone in parts/service and ask them Courtesy is freindly went and fond them Autozone says
Transmission mount and crossmember. Tighten the mount and crossmember fasteners to 30-38 ft. lbs.
Found this video also to show you what and how easy just for love of god don't do what that guy did an try to to loosen the mount to tranny bolt with the 2 wrenches if you dont have room for the socket and bar or dont have some crawfoot then at least take the wrench with pipe that way you wont break the open end side of wrench

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to ask another easy check is if yours is a stick does the whole shifter assembly move up and down a lot with amount of gas ? and yes you can as long as you have some sockets and either a breaker bar cheater pipe for leaverage to drop the crossmember if needed think you will with the frontier.

To me that mount looks done and I would replace it. Just for the cost of part its a cheap gotta be done sooner or later part anyway I would say anywhere depending on abuse best scenario is 100k I blew every 40k give or take on my firebird just beating on it

First spray a perpetrator pb blaster or similar spray all the bolts and [email protected] mount and cross member day or 2 before and spray again before getting under there
Get a jack with a 2x8 or similar place under tranny block your wheels lift till on it don't try from tail though now loosen the bolts holding to transmission then loosen the the bolts holding mount to cross member then lift till it clears watching your tunnel against protruding connectors and such stick your hand up there and feel around if there's not enough room lower back a little move to
Plan B get your breaker bar and drop cross member install is reverse DIY has a listing torque spec to go should bein there if not call someone in parts/service and ask them Courtesy is freindly went and fond them Autozone says
Transmission mount and crossmember. Tighten the mount and crossmember fasteners to 30-38 ft. lbs.
Found this video also to show you what and how easy just for love of god don't do what that guy did an try to to loosen the mount to tranny bolt with the 2 wrenches if you dont have room for the socket and bar or dont have some crawfoot then at least take the wrench with pipe that way you wont break the open end side of wrench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PExKn70XpI
Mine is an automatic. I made a video today with my GoPro. Can you please take a look at the video and tell me if you think it's the tranny mount? Thanks. https://youtu.be/5rzlqNY2_eU

·
Registered
667 Posts
Saw you post another thread I watched your video this morning heard quite a few different noises really couldnt decipher which noise is the one your talking about can you put time stamps of which ones I heard one that sounds like universal another sounded like a worn strut mount but I cant tell from the video. But the tranny is moving on mount under acceleration

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Saw you post another thread I watched your video this morning heard quite a few different noises really couldnt decipher which noise is the one your talking about can you put time stamps of which ones I heard one that sounds like universal another sounded like a worn strut mount but I cant tell from the video. But the tranny is moving on mount under acceleration
I understand I dont think I was hearing most of the noises in the video. What I was hearing and feeling was when I stepped on the brake to a complete stop then Accelerate I am feeling a slight Thump. After watching the video it seems to be the tranny moving that I'm feeling. It doesn't seem that bad to change the mount so I think I'm just going to change It and see if it helps. Is it alright to jack up from the tranny pan?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I don't have a 02 but went and looked at mine totally different setup but I don't know if you have enough room to get it out think it would just go easier dropping the cross member bolts look like they are to long from picture of how it mounts over an in the cross member.
What does the cross member look like bolted to frame on the side is it just a couple of bolts on each side if it is it shouldn't be to hard But you'll need 2 jacks 1 to hold an support trans other to lower member unless you've got a extra hand when the time comes.

When you put jack on trans to support it you want to spread the weight your supporting so use a wide enough and thick enough block of wood from one side to other.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I don't have a 02 but went and looked at mine totally different setup but I don't know if you have enough room to get it out think it would just go easier dropping the cross member bolts look like they are to long from picture of how it mounts over an in the cross member.
What does the cross member look like bolted to frame on the side is it just a couple of bolts on each side if it is it shouldn't be to hard But you'll need 2 jacks 1 to hold an support trans other to lower member unless you've got a extra hand when the time comes.

When you put jack on trans to support it you want to spread the weight your supporting so use a wide enough and thick enough block of wood from one side to other.
Yeah I think I'm going to drop the cross member it's just two bolts on each side. What's a good aftermarket brand for the tranny mount? I don't want to buy junk. What do you think of anchor 8964 mount? Thanks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good choice and it most usually boils down availability but I've used oem moog anchor napa they're all fine only when I had a Saturn did anchor let me down once they cheapened the mount on the top engine mount but only after certain manufactured year and it tore a little over a yr later so brought the earlier model. I just wanted to see what they're going for I looked your mount up it's is ridiculous local rockauto is always a decent price especially if you wait to get in mail and can bump a few more items in package cause you gotta pay for the shipping I know there is a 5% discount floating around here but here is yours and it's only $19.29 local was $70 an up

More Information for ANCHOR 8964

Remember this for next time you need something if you can can hit Napa on the second sat of month before 9 they give you 30%off parts and 20% after Just check with yours because the one here in TX do it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good choice and it most usually boils down availability but I've used oem moog anchor napa they're all fine only when I had a Saturn did anchor let me down once they cheapened the mount on the top engine mount but only after certain manufactured year and it tore a little over a yr later so brought the earlier model. I just wanted to see what they're going for I looked your mount up it's is ridiculous local rockauto is always a decent price especially if you wait to get in mail and can bump a few more items in package cause you gotta pay for the shipping I know there is a 5% discount floating around here but here is yours and it's only $19.29 local was $70 an up

More Information for ANCHOR 8964

Remember this for next time you need something if you can can hit Napa on the second sat of month before 9 they give you 30%off parts and 20% after Just check with yours because the one here in TX do it
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying the anchor, just wasn't sure about them cause I read some bad reviews. I'll let you know how it is after I get it installed. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts