Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm replacing my faulty reverse light switch (the one that's installed on the transmission) tomorrow. Anyone got any tips for removing the old one and installing the new one?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
You end up getting this taken care of? I really need to do mine.. It used to flicker on and off and now it wont even turn them on... I don't really care except in parking lots and parallel parking downtown is a ***** when people don't know your backing up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey all i'm working on my reverse switch now and when I disconnected the connector that joins the switch to the wires running to the lights I found that it was saturated with oil. It was'nt gunky oil either. What kind of oil do you think this is? Manual trans oil? I looked around and I think the oil is coming from where the switch connects to the trans. Maybe it leaked out through the threads? Do you think if I dry out the switch it might work? Maybe I don't need a new switch. Any ideas?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey all i'm working on my reverse switch now and when I disconnected the connector that joins the switch to the wires running to the lights I found that it was saturated with oil. It was'nt gunky oil either. What kind of oil do you think this is? Manual trans oil? I looked around and I think the oil is coming from where the switch connects to the trans. Maybe it leaked out through the threads? Do you think if I dry out the switch it might work? Maybe I don't need a new switch. Any ideas?

hi your switch shouldnt full of oil. If it is, then you need to replace it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced my switch this past weekend. You'll need a 19mm wrench or socket. I could not get my old one off w/ an open end wrench. I wound up cutting the wires and using a closed end wrench. The switch is too deep for a regular socket and there isn't room for a deep socket. :)

Attached is a picture of the underside of the tranny. The switch is to the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't have a 19mm flare nut wrench. That's a fairly large size.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A trip down to the local auto parts store or Sears would be a good place to find one. They are not really that expensive. Even a flare nut crows foot might have worked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A trip down to the local auto parts store or Sears would be a good place to find one. They are not really that expensive. Even a flare nut crows foot might have worked.
Probably not. It was way too tight for a crow's foot.

I made the original post so folks would know what size wrench they need.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great info... I have needed to do this for years

·
Registered
194 Posts
oh

·
Registered
41 Posts
did replace my, see the video, is a 5 speed
Awesome video. I just tried to get this switch off my truck the other day using a flare wrench. No bueno. I had no room to turn the wrench once it got a solid hold. So I'm thinking the crowfoot like in this video may be the way to go.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts