Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my 01 frontier 2.4, about 2 months ago I noticed the engine would cut out for a second or two when starting from a stop then pick back up and go. So last week it would not start so I left it and the next day came out and it started up but would still cut out. I replaced the plugs, distributor and cap and plug wires. Ran better but still cut out.

When it cuts out it only does it when I am accelerating at low RPM's, once I get up in RPM's it doesn't miss. If I gently get in the throttle it won't cut out only when I stab the throttle. Today went out and tried to start it and it wouldn't start, it took ten minutes and it finally started by me cranking it and slowing giving it a little throttle. Drove it around the block a few times then went to the store and when I came out the thing fired up. When it has been warmed up it seems to be ok. Any ideas, I am thinking maf maybe needs cleaned.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Shuck. What are the miles on the truck? It sounds like you got the basics out of the way. Did you check out the air filter? Have you been able to check for any stored trouble codes in the the On Board Diagnostics ? Sometimes there are stored codes that dont set off the check engine light. How old is the battery? A good battery and clean connections (especially grounds) is critical these days, due to the fact that everything goes through the computer. My 01 needed a catalytic convertor at 100,000 miles. Just a few ideas. Let us know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck is right around 267K, the only codes I had was for the egr. I took out the plugs and cleaned the ports and those codes disappeared. The air filter is good, when I was cleaning out the ports I cleaned that. The battery is 2 years old and still strong.

I don't think it is spark issue because once it is warmed up it has no trouble starting. That is why I was thinking it was an issue with the maf or maybe the fuel filter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would replace the fuel filter if its been awhile or if you dont know how long its been since the previous owner did it. I bought mine with 99k on it and it had a check engine light on for an o2 sensor and a catalytic convertor. The dude at autozone suggested I do a fuel filter and check for vacum leaks before I buy anything exspensive. He said it was common to get false codes because of low fuel pressure from a restricted filter tells the computer that the o2 sensor is not functioning correctly. I looked at mine and it looked pretty old on the exterior so I figured it might be the original. Cost about 20 bucks and I could instantly feel it running better and shortly after that the engine light went off as well. I have no experiences with a maf sensor so hopefully some one who does can give you some insight on that. My owners manual said never clean the air filter, just replace. I am assuming even a slight decrease in intake air could tell the computer to make adjustments that may affect the way it runs. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
I've had similar cold/cool hard-restart situations w/ my '00 XE 2.4. Was fixed every time w/ a new dist cap/rotor. I chalked it up to humid nights leading to condensation under the dist cap which must have been faulty somehow(?). Initial cold startup went well and provided I drove it far enough down the road, perhaps 3+ miles, I had no warm restart issues. But, if not driving far enough...well, it was a real beotch to restart.

You stated that you replaced the dist cap along w/ rotor, wires and plugs. So, that leaves me wondering if there is another way for condensation to enter? Perhaps a close look at the distributor itself? Any irregularities where the cap meets/seals might create this condensation phenomenon. Maybe a hairline crack in the distributor case?

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
I replaced the plugs, distributor and cap and plug wires.
Did you replace the whole distributor as a unit? If so, then my reply may not help much.

Rotor replaced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I replaced the rotor also, today I cleaned the maf and TB and it seems to start up so far but does have a miss here and there. Going to do the fuel filter next.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sounds very similar to my issue. Did the fuel filter fix the issue? Mine runs fine till it gets warm then runs rough and wants to cut out at low RPMs. At speed it run a bit rough unless I am right around 2K RPM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts