Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had intermittent slipping of transmission out of 3rd gear and sometimes 2nd when light pressure is applied to the gas pedal. It is as if the truck is going into neutral and revs up. When I take my foot off the gas, it goes back down to sam rpm and engages. Happens off and on.

Here is what I did: Took it to a trans shop where they indicated that they wouldn't flush at 210,000 miles. Since I had never had trans work done, they recommended a full rebuild. Also had a 3rd gear code, so they thought the computer was possibly an issue. We agreed to the overhaul (silly me) and when they were done, they said there was no code reading, so they didn't replace the computer module. About 3 days after I got my truck back it was doing the same thing. Took it back to the shop and left it there for 2 weeks while they tried to figure out what it was. They drove it for half a tank or so and wiggled some wires. Couldn't find the exact problem. Finally got the truck back and 2 days later it was doing it again. This time I took video of the problem and went back to the shop for the third time. To their credit, after seeing the video, they confirmed that I had a serious problem. So I paid $3600 for a trans rebuild that wasn't needed? They now have the truck and I have a loaner.

Has anyone else had this issue? Slipping trans, overhaul, still same problem?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is it actually dropping into neutral, or is it maybe downshifting when it should not be?
A bad throttle position sensor can raise hell with shift points.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion RamTest. Your point is well taken as sometimes I think it is downshifting, but today I was cruising at 32 mph and barely had my foot on the petal. It jumped out of gear and the tach continued to increase all the way to 4k rpm. At that point it felt like I was not in a gear.

I suggested the possibility of TPS being an issue to the trans shop when it was in there last week. They replied that they had ordered a new valve housing or something. Didn't charge me extra since they already have my $3600. got the truck back last Friday and it is still doing it. I wouldn't know how to test the Throttle P.S. in order to ascertain if that might be the issue.

I have a video of the issue here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vRuaBoTJYhkj2GjofKWIveOeESIv5HQl/view?usp=sharing

At the 1:51 and 2:05 time frames, it really shoots up. At other speeds, it just seems to cycle between torque assist and the current gear.

Any suggestions as to what I should be doing here are welcome. I certainly don't want to sell this truck as it has been a faithful companion for 13 years.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ramtest - I think you nailed it on the head. After the trans shop ignored your fine suggestion, they replaced the computer module. Still didn't fix the problem. So I ordered the TPS from Amazon, installed it in about 20 minutes and the problem has not returned yet. Granted, only about 50 miles on it, but I am cautiously optimistic. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts