Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2017 Frontier SV 4x4 CC in October. It has the V6 and as for the factory oil change specifications, I’ll hit the 6 month mark before I hit 5k miles. I’ll be lucky if it makes it to 3k for that matter. I planned on doing the change myself and creeping through the forums for info., I stumbled on “Nissan Ester Oil.” It’s “recommended” for my vehicle, but not required. If I understand correctly, any 5-30w SN Oil will do? I did call the dealer where I bought the truck and the service advisor told me that yes, there are 3 levels of oil changes they offer.....Dino $39.99, Synthetic (Mobil 1) $49.99, and then there is the Nissan Ester Oil $79.99. He really couldn’t explain to me an advantage as to why I’d pay $80 for an oil change if the other 2 choices would not jeopardize my warranty. He really couldn’t explain an advantage to using the Ester Oil period? Sorry for the long winded post, but can anyone tell me what advantage if any there would be to using the expensive Ester Oil? I was planning on using Mobil1 and the factory Nissan oil filter. I have to change it 6 months or 5k regardless until the warranty expires. Thanx in advance! Great forum btw!

The Dealership did tell me to save receipts and log mileage in case of an engine failure. ?

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
I heard that ester oil makes these engines run the quietest. I put in Redline which is also an ester oil, it was cheaper to buy Redline and pay shipping than buy the NISSAN ester oil (or NEO as the NISSAN guys call it) locally from my dealership. Hard to say if it's worth it. Most everyone here will say no and run cheap mobil1. I dont know if I will continue with the expensive stuff, I will likely go to mobil1 or something equal this summer, it's hard to justify paying double, It does seem to idle a bit quieter but not enough to go "DAMN is It running?"

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ester oil was made for the 370z, because it was overheating the oil on the track, it has excellent heat breakdown properties.
Basically a synthetic 5w30, with extra molybdenum to reduce heat breakdown.
Probably better off with Mobil 1 considering the price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your input. I plan on changing my oil in a day or so and I’m using Mobil 1 and a factory Nissan filter. The odometer just rolled 2500 miles so I figure I’d just change it now, although the factory oil still looks nice and clean. I got a laugh out of the service advisor who tried his best to talk me out of changing it myself. lol! In my 63 years on this earth I’ve never been stumped by an oil change! ��

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I changed the oil in my truck the first time before 5K; 2.5K (?), 1K(?). Can't remember. I think I then pushed my 2nd oil change to 1st change+~5K. I stuck with conventional oil till about 30K and then switched to synthetic. I general try to use synthetic but I am not too picky about it. I think I threw in a couple of changed of dino oil. My truck hardly gets 5K per year, and it definitely takes more than 6 months to get over 5K. Dino oil should be changed 5K or 6 months. Synthetic is 5K or 1 year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
An ester oil is an oil that is blended from a Group V synthetic base stock.It has nothing to do with extra moly.

All Ester oils are Group V synthetic base stocks.

Group V, along with Group IV base stocks are the only true synthetic base oils on the market. Group III, which is nothing more than a highly refined petroleum is also called synthetic.

How do you tell the difference between a Group III and a V/IV, the price...

Group IV and V synthetics are 13.00+/ quart, Group III $7.00 or so dollars per.

Ken

·
Premium Member
7,500 Posts
Where does Amsoil Signature Series fit w/in these groupings?

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
Where does Amsoil Signature Series fit w/in these groupings?
from what ive seen, Amsoil is not a true ester oil.
also i believe we can only call group 3 'synthetic' here in the usa. in europe they are not considered synthetic, such as mobil1
there isnt a lot of true synthetic group 4 available here. redline, NEO, a few Motul flavors off the top of my head

tons of endless info on bobistheoilguy site

amsoil
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2488628

mobil1
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1596075

·
Registered
590 Posts
An ester oil is an oil that is blended from a Group V synthetic base stock.It has nothing to do with extra moly.
Ken
Sorry should have been more specific, NISSAN ester oil has added molybdenum. Almost three times more than average according to Blackstone oil labs.

Second Oil Analysis by Blackstone (with Nissan Ester) - Nissan 370Z Forum

1. Esters are an aromatic hydrocarbon group found in many fruits and vegetables. They are commonly used as flavoring agents in drinks, and for their smells in perfumes. Esters are defined by the presence of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms attached to the end of a hydrocarbon molecule. Since we have already seen by now that not all hydrocarbons perform the same (hence the whole need for Group classification), it can be assumed that not all Esters function the same in terms of engine oil. There are some 600 known Esters, and manufacturers have found that some Esters can be synthesized from natural resources and be very stable in extreme heat and stress, such as in a racing engine. Most Esters help swell and condition seals, and may be used as an additive in other oils for this reason. Esters also have a polar affinity to most metals, and this allows film strength under zero pressure. Some esters, such as polyolesters, are not hydrolytically stable and are not compatible with elastomer type seals. Most Ester based oils will have NOACK scores around 6% for a 30wt oil.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sorry, but no. Nissan ester oil is average in zinc levels, try again.

With the plating action of Moly reducing friction which reduces heat, this helps keep rings free from carbon buildup, prevents blow-by, decreases emission, and extends oil life.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/

Google vq37 oil overheating, TRUST ME, Nissan ester oil was made and sold specifically for that engine overheating oil, specifically due to the variable valve timing system that engine runs. The fact that other vehicles now call for it is parts subsidizing, manufacturing cost reduction.

Revenge of the Nerd - Nissan in the sump with diamonds?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Redline recommends 2 thou break in before using their ester based oils, they are surely top of line but overkill for most all of us, Mobil I or the like at $5 a qt bought at Wally's in 5 qt containers is more than adequate IMO!! today's Amsoil is a mystery, it WAS PAO + ester but today they only sat it meets a spec, overpriced for sure for "lip service" IMO!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts