LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Nissan SHOULD Do About Frontier

If I was Nissan and listening to people about the Frontier, I'd simply continue to offer the Frontier the way it is with a few updates and then push out the newer model as a more expensive alternative in 2021. Think of this as a way to still have a basic alternative to the expensive mid-sized truck (thinking like the new Ranger at $40k and Top of the line Gladiator at $60K) then have the more expensive truck for those that complain about all the garbage that all the others offer to make it more like a luxury truck or "car riding like" you find in the GMC Canyon (which is stupid, it's a truck, not a Cadillac).

Anywho, thats my two cents worth plain and simple. Frontier (Classic) and Frontier Gen 3(US). Dodge is doing is with the Ram, why not Nissan?

Gabriel VA
2017 SV CC 4x4
Antenna Mod, 3D Floor Mats, Backup Camera Mod, USB rear seat charger mod, Fog light install Mod, A/T Tires
Wanted to do: Running Boards, Engine Bay LED light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's possible.

For a short time Nissan was offering the Rogue earlier and new generations at the same time. Where I think the previous generation was called the Rogue Select or something like that.

I'm guessing that most manufacturers wouldn't want to offer multiple trucks/vehicles within the same category. Where they take away from each other's sales and makes the manufacturing and production costs not worth it.

So think they would eventually just offer one model and leave consumers with no choice. Is the current Frontier profitable for Nissan? I know there have been posts about how the research and development costs have long been paid off for. But don't know if it would be worth it to them to keep on manufacturing.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:08 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Whatever they do I would imagine they realize they need to stay affordable to stay competitive. If they try to make prices competitive with the ranger, gladiator, etc... Then no one will buy the frontier anymore. The frontier sells because of what you get for the money.

I just hope we're not looking at turbo only engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeekins View Post
Whatever they do I would imagine they realize they need to stay affordable to stay competitive.....The frontier sells because of what you get for the money.
Exactly! This was my rationale for buying my 2019 PRO-4X after comparing against the Tacoma. I was looking forward to seeing the new Ranger, but lost interest when I found out they would not offer a manual transmission. The Jeep Gladiator looks pretty cool, but I knew there would be a feeding frenzy for that as soon as it hit the streets.

Paul
2019 Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab 4x4 Manual V6

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:59 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Make a true Pro-4X Special NISMO EDITION! Lifted, snorkeled, & supercharged!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jackrussell and jackrussell like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaymarstel For This Useful Post:
Kevin.reitan (04-15-2019), Sixspeed-SV (04-14-2019), Wyo Wolverine (04-11-2019)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:17 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmum View Post
It's possible.

For a short time Nissan was offering the Rogue earlier and new generations at the same time. Where I think the previous generation was called the Rogue Select or something like that.

I'm guessing that most manufacturers wouldn't want to offer multiple trucks/vehicles within the same category. Where they take away from each other's sales and makes the manufacturing and production costs not worth it.
The reason Nissan was able to offer both the old and new Rogue at the same time for a while was because they built a new factory. Manufacturers typically can't do that. They have to make new tooling for the new model and it's built on the line where the old model was built. Not possible to do both at once.

** Opinions expressed here are my own and in no way affiliated with my employer or any other entity **
The Following User Says Thank You to Joliet John For This Useful Post:
FitzIngarage (04-11-2019)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
While I expect some drive train changes I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of carrier over under the new skin. The 2nd gen was a great platform and Nissan got a lot of years of production out of the original R&D.
Dependent on their cash flow and how heavy it will be to retool they still can draw from some of the original R&D for a North American mid size truck. Nissan's financials have kept the the 2nd gen and the Z also where they are.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I do not understand why Nissan Frontier are treated like the embarrassing step-child when it comes to aftermarket upgrades. It's a established platform, old design in comparison to competitors, yet there are more aftermarket upgrades for those same competitors.
Nissan needs to really put a Pro-4X Limited Edition NISMO RACE READY TRUCK on the market. They should come out with a kick-*** midsize Frontier truck that has the added lift & suspension upgrades, recaro off-road seats, better instrument gauges, roll-bar options, heavy duty full protection skid plates, & a snorkel option.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
they need to do whatever they can do to keep the prices $30k or less. that's why people are buying frontiers over tacomas and gladiators and rangers and colorados.

i'm not talking about stripped down 4cyl base models either. i'm talking pro4x models. sure they can have some super fancy version for $35-$40k but most people will not be buying those. the only reason i got my pro4x is because the price was $29k brand new. the reason i didn't buy a tacoma was because the price was $35k+ brand new. 5k+ makes a big difference in your payment each month.

2017 Glacier White Nissan Frontier Pro4x CC V6 6speed Manual
The Following User Says Thank You to NissanFrontierPro4x For This Useful Post:
Sixspeed-SV (04-14-2019)
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanFrontierPro4x View Post
they need to do whatever they can do to keep the prices $30k or less. that's why people are buying frontiers over tacomas and gladiators and rangers and colorados.

i'm not talking about stripped down 4cyl base models either. i'm talking pro4x models. sure they can have some super fancy version for $35-$40k but most people will not be buying those. the only reason i got my pro4x is because the price was $29k brand new. the reason i didn't buy a tacoma was because the price was $35k+ brand new. 5k+ makes a big difference in your payment each month.
I'd buy one of those super fancy Pro-4X's !

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in