AC Compressor dead, what parts should I replace? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AC Compressor dead, what parts should I replace?

I have a 2004 Nissan Frontier 2.4L King Cab.

AC compressor began grinding, now it won't turn on. Some kids come with compressor, dryer, and evaporator valve.... and some also include a new condenser.

Is this a requirement to replace? What do you advise?

I am selling the truck, but want to get the AC fixed before I sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Have you checked anything I'd advise that first instead of sticking parts in since your unloading it. Kinda sounds like the clutch

2010 Frontier SE4x4 CC/LB (F)Calmini(R)Shrock bumpers/Smittybilt X2O-10KSyn, HeftyAlum skids(just need to install), (F)OME2608coils,(R)OMEsprings/FirestoneRideRite,Bilstein5100's, 265/75/16LT Falken Wildpeak AT3W Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kenwood Excelon head Nakamichi 6.5 components,Tow mirrors,Weathertech liners, 3M Crystaline 40%(F/R/B)LlumarAirBlue80(F)tint all around
"and that's why have done all of my own work less warranty work, just can't trust anyone these days" a quote taken from Silverflash
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
a Shop did empty it, refill it, checked fuses and could not get the compressor to turn on.

Last summer when it died it began screeching when it was on and I then quickly turned it off. I tested it a few more times with a little screeching... not it doesn't turn on. It was not the belt that was screatching from what I remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
OK did shop give you a breakdown how much recovered how much put in? did they hold a vacuum on system what were results? how did they get compressor to accept your amount if they couldn't trigger compressor. I'm just assuming no leak and it isn't low maybe your orifice is clogged up anyone ever put in freon before shop an use a can of screwmecrap with stop leak?. They checked fuses do you have power to switch? did they test switch? do you have power to compressor if you have no power to compressor replacing isn't going to help neither will a dryer this is all stuff that needs to be done to see where to go next. If you do have power to compressor why isn't clutch engaging you need to check with a feeler gauge to measure it an you can adjust as needed if you need a clutch you can borrow a holder from Orielly or Autozone. Report let me know how your making out

Reason your seeing some coming with dryer an other stuff you need to replace it to satisfy warranty on replacement compressor.

2010 Frontier SE4x4 CC/LB (F)Calmini(R)Shrock bumpers/Smittybilt X2O-10KSyn, HeftyAlum skids(just need to install), (F)OME2608coils,(R)OMEsprings/FirestoneRideRite,Bilstein5100's, 265/75/16LT Falken Wildpeak AT3W Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kenwood Excelon head Nakamichi 6.5 components,Tow mirrors,Weathertech liners, 3M Crystaline 40%(F/R/B)LlumarAirBlue80(F)tint all around
"and that's why have done all of my own work less warranty work, just can't trust anyone these days" a quote taken from Silverflash
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:42 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Well, if the compressor failed internally and dumped metal in the system, you are going to need to flush out all of the debris and replace the liquid tank, which is the filter of the system. Most will also recommend replacing the condenser as they can be hard to get all of the debris out. The evaporator box will also need to be removed...or should be...to clean it out and inspect/replace the expansion valve. All it takes is one tiny piece of debris to mess up your newly repaired A/C system. Clutch failure, on the other hand, is a different story, as it won't cause debris to enter the refrigerant. However, finding a clutch assembly for a 1st Gen Frontier that is not close to the price of an entire compressor assembly with a new clutch can be hard to find. Replacing the compressor assembly in that situation doesn't necessitate flushing the system, however, I would still replace the liquid tank for the sake of the new compressor. Dealing with a truck that's 25 years old, going the A/C kit route is probably the best way to go about it considering the age of the parts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Garage
First, I'd disconnect the wire to the AC compressor clutch, start engine and turn on the AC, and measure if I had 12 volts positive in that wire. If not, I'd read the static pressure of the R134a, because you may have lost refrigerant when the compressor noise started; if it contains refrigerant still, that should be evacuated/recovered, and there's danger in just unbolting stuff from a system still containing refrigerant.

Yes, when AC compressor seizes, particles can get into the condenser or drier; these modern poarallel flow condensers cannot be backflushed with solvent either because of their design.

I've got that exact same Frontier. Last September in Gila Bend AZ on the way to California, its AC compressor seized, made screeching noise, etc, I switched off the AC as we made our way through the desert in 103F. So what did I do to fix on mine? I bought a brand-new compressor and condenser (comes with drier) from Rock Auto. I did NOT replace the expansion valve as that requires removing the entire evaporator box inside the dash. The compressor did not come with refrigerant O-rings, that pi$$ed me off, had to get those separately, locally (refrigeration O-ring assortment for Nissan, at O'Reilly). Don't use anything with a sealer in your AC ever.

I purchased PAG refrigeration oil already containing UV dye and used that. I have my own vacuum pump and service gauge set, but these can be obtained as free loaner tools from Autozone.

'98 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, white regular cab, purchased in 2004 with 100K on it for the kids to drive, now it's back with us, 237K. 2004 King Cab 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, electric blue purchased in Dec. 2011 at 89K. Also 1988 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus truck (since 1994, 217K), 2WD, 4-cylinder, 5-speed, great truck. And 1971 VW Convertible (mine since 1976) and 1970 VW (260+K, mine since 1972).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
As mentioned, depends on what failed. Internal to the compressor, you sprayed metal debris through the whole system. Anything that has refrigerant going through it is contaminated. Most of it is impossible to get clean again. You replace it. If it isn't clean, that debris will come back around and eat the new compressor again. In the business it is often called "black death" as it is a mixture of ground aluminum, ground up piston seals, and other ground up and burned up compressor innards that has gone around and around in the system.

But if it was external, clutch, no debris in the system. Nothing outside of the clutch or compressor needs replacing.

I have even had compressors lock up solid, smoke the clutch, squealing and all the nasty sounds. Pulled the compressor out and it just locked solid and didn't spray black death through the whole system. That got a compressor and ran perfect after and kept running through a few owners until I lost track of it.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in