LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel spacers...again.

- Disclaimer: I have run wheel spacers before without issue and believe they are inherently safe.

Spidertrax Wheel Spacers. Yes, I know, another thread about wheel spacers but bear with me. I have been reading multiple threads on multiple forums and I can't quite seem to answer my question.

The Frontier has a FWC pop-up on it full time. 800lbs dry, 900-1000lb loaded. I want a wider stance to provide a bit more stability on the highway. I also am fond of the stock wheels, I like the look and the suit the vehicle very well. My go to solution would be spacers but I am concerned about the added constant load. I have read plenty of threads about towing with spacers with various conclusion on whether or not to run them. But I feel there is a fundamental difference when towing that load on trailer and carrying it in the vehicle. I am worried about the added weight and stress being applied to the rear spacers; coming down off a rock ledge or 50 miles of rough washboard.

With this constant load am I adding 24 more points of failure? Am I over thinking this? Is there a existing thread addressing this? DID I FORGET HOW TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION??

As I said, I have run spacers before but never with this much weight over stock.

Thanks for all the help.

Hmmph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Let's apply some simple physics. Equal and opposite reaction blah blah.. if you put more weight in or on the back of your truck whether it is a camper or a trailer. you are putting stress on the spacer. Your leaf springs compress because of the weight, your leaves are connected to the axle, your axle is connected to the spacer. doesn't matter where you put it. weight is weight. however, I would argue that the camper is even worse than a trailer Since it sits directly over the axle and is constantly pushing down. plus its always in the bed unlike a trailer you can remove easily. I would call or see if spidertrax has a weight limit they were designed for. Also if you do some offroading well.....

i don't have the money to measure how fast a tire of a frontier takes to fall say,... a foot with 1000lbs on the bed. But regardless, simple physics will tell you that if something falls, the force it produces exceeds the static weight of said object. in other words, the camper will "weigh" more if it's going offroad. so take that into consideration while checking the weight limit. also, make sure that the weight they give you isn't it's static maximum. If you can do it, do it! but make sure your math is correct or you won't like the outcome.

Nothin to see here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blazepro4x For This Useful Post:
GKnapp (04-12-2019)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Thank you. That is the type of critical thinking I am looking for.

Hmmph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Garage
Just in case anyone wanted this info also, I spoke with Spidertrax today. The said the weight limit of the wheel spacer is targeted at the GVWR. Although they stand behind their product as something extremely strong, such as the studs being much stronger than the stock studs, they recommend staying under the GVWR.

Food for thought.

Hmmph

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Wheels, Tires, and Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in