ABS disable round 4 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS disable round 4

As many of you know I think the ABS on our trucks is dangerous on the snow/ice. I think they "retuned" the ABS sensitivity around 2007 to be less, and safer, but still not great.
There been 3 methods of disabling the abs.
1-Fuse pull/switch
2-wheel sensor line cut/switch
3-Yaw sensor line cut/switch

Though I have played around with some of these they all have their down falls. Some disable your instruments, and all require you to turn off/on your car to reinstate the ABS functionality. These ABS disable modifications also disable traction control, VDC and other ABS based driving aides.

I have always thought that there was a better way to do this with inputs to the ABS control module, but never spent the time to figure it out.

Well recently a member on thenewx.org did. He cut and switched pin wire #41 which is the brake light switch. Interestingly this is how the control module is told that you are applying the brakes. I always thought cutting the power or the ground to the ABS controller was the ticket, but no.
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how...rsion-4-a.html

Anyways I plan on testing this out and modding on my truck soon. I do not plan on using a relay like the OP did but a simple toggle. There is not very much current in the wires to require a relay.

And for the lawyer types reading this about to give a stern warning about liability and such save it. I understand the "risk" and benefits that comes with no ABS, as I already often run sans ABS.

06 KC NISMO 4x4 6sp

Last edited by Nissan4Life; 12-04-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I've always hated abs. If one tire hits sand/gravel while braking then all brakes release and your braking distance greatly increases instead of just having 1 wheel lock up and other 3 braking normally. So your left there looking helpless while you get horrified looks from rearview mirror of person in front of you whilst picking seat cover out of your arse. Keep us updated of your final solution.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:00 AM
Rogue Admin
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2041 Post(s)
Thanked 5,681 Times in 3,217 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
There was another write-up here a long time ago: https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...16/index2.html

And I read somewhere about being able to tap into some wires in the arm rest, I'll see if I can find that info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
There was another write-up here a long time ago: https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...16/index2.html

And I read somewhere about being able to tap into some wires in the arm rest, I'll see if I can find that info.
That is version 3. The Yaw sensor disable.
My truck doesn't have a yaw sensor or VDC. And from what I can tell my traction control is very light, and it does not cut off power like some people complain about.
Also weird thing about my ABS is that it is still active under 10mph. Not suppose to be per owners manual.
The yaw sensor disable requires you to turn off the engine and back on in order to restore ABS function.

06 KC NISMO 4x4 6sp

Last edited by Nissan4Life; 12-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissan4Life For This Useful Post:
Zedbra (12-06-2018)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure the Frontier has four channel ABS. It will only pulse the slipping wheel, not all of them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:07 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018svcc4x4 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Frontier has four channel ABS. It will only pulse the slipping wheel, not all of them.
This is familiar to how my 14' feels when a tire locks up. I've never had the sensation that the brakes would release.

.... on another note. I had a Yamaha ADV bike that had no ABS disable. Trick was to throw it on the center stand and click it into gear. the ABS would fault out in a minute or so. Switching the bike off and on would reset. That's the solution .... jack up the rear end and run it in gear for a few minutes ... or do a two minute burn out!

2014 Pro-4 Crew

Last edited by obrianmcc; 02-27-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018svcc4x4 View Post
I don't think that is how my truck is set up. Once ABS starts to kick in you get very little braking force. VERY SCARY. Like someone cut out your brakes. I drive around in 4 low with the locker on sometimes when I am wheeling on ice/snow just to disable the ABS. Insane how much braking force my truck can generate without the ABS. I think the ABS and traction control was retuned shorty after 2006 to be more realistic.

As of today I have yet to do this mod. MY truck is severing full time daily driver duties (in the summer I can drive a RWD car and ride a motorcycle). Thus I am not willing to do a mod which might disable the truck for any amount of time.

I also bought myself a set of Blizzaks this winter. It makes the ABS sensitively almost a none issue. ALMOST.

06 KC NISMO 4x4 6sp
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
I drove in Alaska for 12 years before I got a car with ABS. Never needed it. Everyone just learns how to drive in bad conditions. Pump brakes, dont lock them up - you cant turn if the wheels aren't turning. People dont get that. Crazy how peoples inability to drive well makes the government force the makers to add aids as standard equipment, like rear cameras... really?
soon lane assist because people dont look, then the self-braking will be mandatory for the cell phone addicts. In a way it's good I guess as itll save lives but as I'm getting old it's kind sad to see that everything is getting so wimpy.
The Following User Says Thank You to phatB For This Useful Post:
FitzIngarage (02-28-2019)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:06 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Good conclusions phatB. I'm not an ABS hater, but being north of 60 years old, I forget that it's there . Several weeks ago in the mountains, I spun my truck on black ice on a tight curve. Thankfully my speed was low. As the rear end came around, I steered my way back into control and lightly tapped the brakes only once. You're right -- technology can't replace sound driving skills. The ABS played no role in my recovery.

To be clear, it was a frightening experience and we were blessed that nobody was coming in the other direction because I spent a lot of time there regaining control. Not something I want to do again!

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Worn Out OE Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights

Last edited by FitzIngarage; 02-28-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Yep, driver aids are intended to function along with solid fundamentals. Like everything else .... As the driver aid technology improves, driver fundamental decreases. We are now breeding smarter cars .... stupid drivers!

2014 Pro-4 Crew

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Wheels, Tires, and Brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in