So...did it turn out that the trans/rad issue was limited to 2005-2010? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So...did it turn out that the trans/rad issue was limited to 2005-2010?

Just joined the Forum and see the issues with cross-contamination due to the trans cooler line. I have a 2011 Equator, V-6, Automatic, 60,000 miles. Any reason to worry or, more importantly, take any action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Thanked 1,818 Times in 1,274 Posts
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
from what i remember, the equator has 100% all the same parts with some minor badges and i think the front end is a little different shape?
so its likely you may share the same part that may fail.

i did hear the problem was fixed by 10-11, but i have seen some trucks into the 12s with cross contamination. i think it just took them a couple more years for miles and wear to rack up.
i used to say bypass and be done, now im on the train of adding a cooler and bypassing and being done lol.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just purchased an '09 with 70,000 on it and decided to replace the radiator. Install wasn't terrible and the piece of mind is totally worth it.

Is that a Suzuki?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:27 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Equators were prone to the problem, as well. You just don't hear a lot about it because they didn't make very many of them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:27 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
if I remember correctly, there were very few if any confirmed problems reported on this forum from '08 forward. Nissan included up to '10 on warranty help but never disclosed actual dates of mfg. that had problem and think it was '10 or '11 when Nissan acknowledged - I have '09 and am not really concerned, I just keep an eye on things as with all vehicles. I would not bypass unless you add additional fan forced air cooler, and seems if you're going to that work, replace the radiator. Liquid heat transfer has benefits - also warms tranny when sub-zero temps. Search this forum - there is post that was keeping running tally of confirmed problems by year.

'09 Suzuki Equator RMZ-4 w/Sport Package -Auto
ARE topper
LT245-75/16C Toyo Open Country A/T - summer
LT245-75/16E Firestone Winterforce - winter
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 08:19 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
I have a friend that is looking at a 2009 Equator with 80K on it and I too was wondering about the cross contamination problems. Looks like it may be a concern eh?

Glenn

Wickenburg, AZ

2015 Frontier SL
Westin Chrome Bull Bar
Moonroof package
4.0L V6 with A/T 4X4
Glacier white

Rugged Liner Hard Tonneau

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09eq View Post
if I remember correctly, there were very few if any confirmed problems reported on this forum from '08 forward. Nissan included up to '10 on warranty help but never disclosed actual dates of mfg. that had problem and think it was '10 or '11 when Nissan acknowledged - I have '09 and am not really concerned, I just keep an eye on things as with all vehicles. I would not bypass unless you add additional fan forced air cooler, and seems if you're going to that work, replace the radiator. Liquid heat transfer has benefits - also warms tranny when sub-zero temps. Search this forum - there is post that was keeping running tally of confirmed problems by year.
I admin at TheNissanPath.com and we've had a lot of members with reported failures from 2008 through 2010 and including a couple that have had it occur on 2011 models with the -ZL11A radiator. While not nearly as many as from 05-06 models, there is still a substantial number of them. For whatever reason, though, we don't get too many from 2009. I believe we've had more reported failures from 2010 models than from 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmpm View Post
I have a friend that is looking at a 2009 Equator with 80K on it and I too was wondering about the cross contamination problems. Looks like it may be a concern eh?
I would definitely get a Carfax report on the vehicle. If it has an auto trans and the original radiator but no signs of cross-contamination, I would replace the radiator with an aftermarket as soon as I got it. If there's no Calsonic label on the top tank, there's a good chance it's an aftermarket replacement radiator.

Last edited by smj999smj; 01-23-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to smj999smj For This Useful Post:
shift_RUSH (01-24-2019)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:20 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post

I would definitely get a Carfax report on the vehicle. If it has an auto trans and the original radiator but no signs of cross-contamination, I would replace the radiator with an aftermarket as soon as I got it. If there's no Calsonic label on the top tank, there's a good chance it's an aftermarket replacement radiator.
Thanks for the information! We got a Carfax and there is no mention of a radiator replacement but appears service has been kept up AOK. Also they mention a recall on the Garmin NAV? Not familiar with that one. We haven't actually seen the truck yet, it is a couple of hundred miles away but will check out the radiator if it gets to that point! Thanks again.

Glenn

Wickenburg, AZ

2015 Frontier SL
Westin Chrome Bull Bar
Moonroof package
4.0L V6 with A/T 4X4
Glacier white

Rugged Liner Hard Tonneau

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Equator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Equator Roll Call | - »