LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
JPC
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with differential

Hey everyone. About two years ago I changed my rear differential fluid and several gear teeth came out. I replaced the whole rear axel with one I found in a junkyard. Before I bought it I opened up the cover and checked out the gears. Everything looked great. Last week I changed the differential oil and the same thing happened. Several large gear chunks fell out.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this keeps happening??

I'm going to take it to the shop this week to have the differential rebuilt but I really want to figure out the cause of this problem before I spend more money on it. My theory is that the front gearing was changed before I bought it (bought from dealer with 60,000 miles) and this is tearing up the rear gears when I use 4wd. Could this be the cause? I have been very careful to never use 4wd on dry pavement. This is a work truck so it's never off roaded. I tow quite a bit but I try not to exceed 3000lbs. Since the day I bought the truck, I have had a hard time getting it out of 4wd. I learned that I have to make a hard turn to release 4wd. I figured this was just a quirk of the truck but maybe it's a symptom?

It's a 2008 crew cab 4x4 se with 160,000 miles. From the sticky on this forum I believe I have a C200k with 3.357 gears. Should I stick with stock gearing when I rebuild or does anyone recommend an upgrade or beefier gears that wont get torn up?

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to get educated before I take it to the shop.

2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4x4

Last edited by JPC; 04-14-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
JPC, IMHO the first thing you need to do is jack up the truck and make marks on both driveshafts, then count the wheel rotations required to make one driveshaft rotation. I would do several complete rotations on the off-chance that you could slightly botch on the counts and be sure that they agree. Verifying the gearing is correct must be priority ONE. Secondly, if you are pulling rear axles again dump the C200K and go to a Dana 44 ( Pro4x or 6 speed manual truck ) rear axle assembly, they are much stronger and a Pro4 axle will also net you the electric locker. Again, be sure to validate that ratios match. Also verify you have the correct lubricant when you refill, the M226 uses 75W140 and the C200k, 75W90.

Why make it only good enough when you can double the budget and build it like NASA?
Exterior: 5 LED light bars, 2 x 16" bumper mount, 1 x 42" roof mount and 2 x 22" side-mounts, APG iArmour side steps, LED cargo and reversing lamps. M226 axle vent mod, Firestone RideRite airbags
Engine Bay: K&N filter, 7 circuit fuse & relay bank, ECT sensor alum adapt housing, 630CFM trans cooler fan - thermo & override swtch
Cabin: Dynamat equiv in doors, all interior LED illum, engine coolant and trans temp gauges by AutoMeter, overhead console 6 switch control bank
Audio: Morel Maximo 6.5"s, Sundown Audio 2.75" midtweets
Cargo Bed: Ridgid toolbox, GlassFibre shovel, adze and sledgehammer > UtiliTrak
OverlandBound Member# 16310

The Following User Says Thank You to RyanD1966 For This Useful Post:
whistler (04-14-2019)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OEM Dana M226 rear diffs typically only come w/ 3.54 or 3.69 gears. Then subsequently sourcing those same gears for the front diff might be a real chore.

'15 SV KC, 4.0, 6-sp, 4x2 DD/WT
VTP items = Standard Equipment on SV 6-sp
_________

'00 XE KC, 2.4, 5-sp, 4x2 ~SOLD~
185K miles w/ original factory distributor, U-joints, cats & clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,165 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_RUSH View Post
OEM Dana M226 rear diffs typically only come w/ 3.54 or 3.69 gears. Then subsequently sourcing those same gears for the front diff might be a real chore.
Not really, just swap in a r180 with the proper gearing as well. Might even be able to find a low mile unit.

BUT... as already stated, make sure you check the gearing on the front and rear axles in the truck now.
The Following User Says Thank You to The other Sean For This Useful Post:
shift_RUSH (04-15-2019)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:36 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_RUSH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Sean
Not really, just swap in a r180 with the proper gearing as well. Might even be able to find a low mile unit.

BUT... as already stated, make sure you check the gearing on the front and rear axles in the truck now.
As noted by both above, gearing can / will still certainly be a question. Of course, this could also be an opportune time to swap in an M205 HD front diff as well ........................

Why make it only good enough when you can double the budget and build it like NASA?
Exterior: 5 LED light bars, 2 x 16" bumper mount, 1 x 42" roof mount and 2 x 22" side-mounts, APG iArmour side steps, LED cargo and reversing lamps. M226 axle vent mod, Firestone RideRite airbags
Engine Bay: K&N filter, 7 circuit fuse & relay bank, ECT sensor alum adapt housing, 630CFM trans cooler fan - thermo & override swtch
Cabin: Dynamat equiv in doors, all interior LED illum, engine coolant and trans temp gauges by AutoMeter, overhead console 6 switch control bank
Audio: Morel Maximo 6.5"s, Sundown Audio 2.75" midtweets
Cargo Bed: Ridgid toolbox, GlassFibre shovel, adze and sledgehammer > UtiliTrak
OverlandBound Member# 16310

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
JPC
Shift_lurker

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the axel rotation and figure out the gearing.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:43 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
If you have different gears in the front diff than the rear it would tear up the transfer case. The rear diff will have NO affect. The gear teeth you are seeing are most likely bits of the spider gear. That is really the only thing that can break off. Remove the entire cover, inspect and verify.

As to why the spiders gears are shattering, it is typically related to spinning the tires. Situation goes like so. On slippery surface, worse if you are pulled off the side of the road where one tire is in the dirt and the other is on pavement. Go to take off and the the tire that is in the dirt is spinning and the other is no. Even if both tires are on dirt only one will spin. Spider gears are spinning fast. Spinning tire hits pavement. Shock load spider gear. Not enough to completely shatter them but enough to chip a tooth or few. Pull the cover and examine. It will tell you what is up.

06 KC NISMO 4x4 6sp
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
JPC
Shift_lurker

That's exactly what I was wondering. I don't know enough about drivetrains to tell if the front gears would have any effect on the rear gears.

During my research the last time I replaced the axel I saw that 4wd could tear up the gears. Since then I have been super careful when in 4wd. Are there stronger gears that I can rebuild the current differential with? I would love to swap to the m226 but it seems that the time to find one and the extra money might not be worth it since my business is shut down until I get it back on the road.

Thanks again

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Drivetrain Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in