George Washington National Forest on Saturday 3/30/2019 - Page 7 - Nissan Frontier Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:06 PM
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by erturne View Post
Hey, glad you're here! I'm looking forward to the next trip. I've got skid plates and a rear diff cover on order, so I should be more adventurous once I get those on.
Smart man. I absolutely destroyed my radiator skid on Imogene Pass last October, but I've got some aluminum Heftys I need to throw on.

2006 SE CCSB 4x4
265x75r16 Falken Wildpeak
The Following User Says Thank You to CutRight For This Useful Post:
erturne (04-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:26 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Pics that are upside down. Great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0330191357.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	543.8 KB
ID:	291855   Click image for larger version

Name:	0330191349b.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	291857   Click image for larger version

Name:	0330191358.jpg
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	291859   Click image for larger version

Name:	0330191610.jpg
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	291861   Click image for larger version

Name:	0330191608.jpg
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	291863  

jaymarstel, erturne and erturne like this.
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:26 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey, glad you're here! I'm looking forward to the next trip. I've got skid plates and a rear diff cover on order, so I should be more adventurous once I get those on.
Eric, whos did you order, and did you get full set or just radiator / engine pair?

Why make it only good enough when you can double the budget and build it like NASA?
Exterior: 5 LED light bars, 2 x 16" bumper mount, 1 x 42" roof mount and 2 x 22" side-mounts, APG iArmour side steps, LED cargo and reversing lamps. M226 axle vent mod, Firestone RideRite airbags
Engine Bay: K&N filter, 7 circuit fuse & relay bank, ECT sensor alum adapt housing, 630CFM trans cooler fan - thermo & override swtch
Cabin: Dynamat equiv in doors, all interior LED illum, engine coolant and trans temp gauges by AutoMeter, overhead console 6 switch control bank
Audio: Morel Maximo 6.5"s, Sundown Audio 2.75" midtweets
Cargo Bed: Ridgid toolbox, GlassFibre shovel, adze and sledgehammer > UtiliTrak
OverlandBound Member# 16310

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD1966 View Post
Eric, whos did you order, and did you get full set or just radiator / engine pair?
I ended up ordering a set of aluminum skids from Hefty Fabworks. Initially I was going to just get engine and transmission skids to start, but I decided to order the transfer case and gas tank skids too. After dropping a grand on these things (even after using the TAXMAN discount code), radiator skid will have to wait for more funds.

Now it's just a waiting game. 6 to 8 weeks minimum.

2018 Nissan Frontier SV CC 6-speed manual

Last edited by erturne; 04-16-2019 at 06:43 PM.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:25 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
I ended up ordering a set of aluminum skids from Hefty Fabworks. Initially I was going to just get engine and transmission skids to start, but I decided to order the transfer case and gas tank skids too. After dropping a grand on these things (even after using the TAXMAN discount code), radiator skid will have to wait for more funds.

Now it's just a waiting game. 6 to 8 weeks minimum.
Why did you choose aluminum??? Weight ratio compared with steel plates?? Full steel plates are listed at 156lbs... (156 lbs = 1 girl friend, + her purse ; ) Aluminum is at best only 80% as strong as their steel plates according to HEFTY FABWORKS SITE. I don't know, I'm leaning towards steel plates.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarstel View Post
Why did you choose aluminum??? Weight ratio compared with steel plates?? Full steel plates are listed at 156lbs... (156 lbs = 1 girl friend, + her purse ; ) Aluminum is at best only 80% as strong as their steel plates according to HEFTY FABWORKS SITE. I don't know, I'm leaning towards steel plates.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I was really leaning toward steel plates too for the strength, but better corrosion resistance was the main thing that swung me. The steel Hidden Hitch on my Accord rusted out in a few years after it was installed despite being powder coated. And let's be honest... for what I'm going to do with my truck 80% strength is still plenty to protect the vital components. If I do damage the skid plates I can pound them back out/weld them. Lighter weight is just an added bonus.

I remember you saying you spend time at the beach. If I were you I would give serious consideration to corrosion!

2018 Nissan Frontier SV CC 6-speed manual

Last edited by erturne; 04-17-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I was really leaning toward steel plates too for the strength, but better corrosion resistance was the main thing that swung me. The steel Hidden Hitch on my Accord rusted out in a few years after it was installed despite being powder coated. And let's be honest... for what I'm going to do with my truck 80% strength is still plenty to protect the vital components. If I do damage the skid plates I can pound them back out/weld them. Lighter weight is just an added bonus.

I remember you saying you spend time at the beach. If I were you I would give serious consideration to corrosion!
Eric, I'm going with you on this one, I'm going all aluminium also, when the budget permits. When I priced out the full kit it came to just over $1.3k so its going to be a while, perhaps even next yr. Not sure yet. My decisions were the corrosion resistance as mentioned, but also the xtra weight, I will never be doing GONE Moab, at least with this truck, so the 80% is good enough for me. I'm not planning on having the full weight of the truck skip over a rock and crunch the plate(s) into submission, but keeping the fragile oil pan, radiator and transfer case out of harm's way is certainly a noble and well-considered goal. IMHO, just for me, I rated the half the weight bonus #1 and corrosion resistance #2.

Why make it only good enough when you can double the budget and build it like NASA?
Exterior: 5 LED light bars, 2 x 16" bumper mount, 1 x 42" roof mount and 2 x 22" side-mounts, APG iArmour side steps, LED cargo and reversing lamps. M226 axle vent mod, Firestone RideRite airbags
Engine Bay: K&N filter, 7 circuit fuse & relay bank, ECT sensor alum adapt housing, 630CFM trans cooler fan - thermo & override swtch
Cabin: Dynamat equiv in doors, all interior LED illum, engine coolant and trans temp gauges by AutoMeter, overhead console 6 switch control bank
Audio: Morel Maximo 6.5"s, Sundown Audio 2.75" midtweets
Cargo Bed: Ridgid toolbox, GlassFibre shovel, adze and sledgehammer > UtiliTrak
OverlandBound Member# 16310

The Following User Says Thank You to RyanD1966 For This Useful Post:
erturne (Yesterday)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Meet Announcements / Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in