Need to upgrade suspension on '13 Frontier P4X - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need to upgrade suspension on '13 Frontier P4X

Please help me figure out my suspension upgrade(s)….

Current: My truck has 2” front spacers and adjustable rear shackles at 1.5”, as well as 2” DIY BL. The rear springs are flat (actually, a bit worse than that).

Want: Upgrade front and rear suspension.
- Rear: We’ve purchased a small travel trailer (<400# tongue weight and ~3800# GVWR). I need to beef up the rear and would like to get it lifted back where it was before the stock springs flattened.
- Front: The ride is a bit harsh and I get coil bucket contact. I’d like to improve the suspension rather than just lift it.

Situation: I had ‘purchased’ Nisstec’s MK84 kit with UCAs and Alcan rear springs. That didn’t go through (I’d be glad to discuss privately if anyone wants the scoop). I’ve got the Alcan rear springs (400# over stock) on the way directly from Alcan.

I *have to* sort out the rear, as I can’t tow the trailer as it sits now. So that’s top priority. I guess I just need shocks to go with the new springs?

And for the front, I’d still like to duplicate the current lift, but improve ride quality and suspension travel. What do y’all suggest?

TIA,
Jon

illzoni (aka Jon)
2013 Frontier Pro4X
www.illzoni.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Thanked 1,078 Times in 794 Posts
Garage
For the rear, I would have gone with airbags rather than 400lb. Springs. You can adjust to your load. I am guessing but I think your truck will be really harsh riding when not towing.
If you want to improve how your suspension works, your best option is a Titan swap. Just my opinion.

2007 S model,V6,6MT. Options ordered ,alloy wheels,
Window nets. Lowrance gen 5 and Lowrance gen 7 GPS. Kenwood TK-790 vhf radio. PCI intercom.Autometer Elite gauges.Parker Pumper. Mastercraft Pro4 seats. Crowe 5 point harness.SCORE Legal Roll cage.
BTF Fabrication uca, lca arms. BTF axles. Radflo bump stops. Fox 2.5, 8" travel, reservoir shocks(front). 18" Eibach springs. Fox,2.5, 14" travel, 3 valve by pass shocks.
Fuel Safe 32 gal fuel cell. Bedcage.
The Following User Says Thank You to whistler For This Useful Post:
Sabretooth (04-06-2019)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with whistler, I would try to cancel your order and get bags. Did you talk to alcan? i doubt they would of recommended HD springs on a stock weight truck. HD leafs are for trucks who CONSTANTLY have weight in the back. When you're not towing a trailer the ride is going to be awful.

You're not going to get much better in the front unless you get aftermarket ucas like in the kit you where talking about. or you will have to go with a full titan swap which is titan lca, uca ,tie rod ect. The best kit imo you can get without going titan swap is the mk84 or similar.

Nothin to see here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blazepro4x For This Useful Post:
whistler (04-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

I do carry tools. And have a ladder rack with two ladders. Total is probably ~300#

Also, Alcan was saying I could go up to 500-600# over stock and it would be fine. Seems stock is really weak.

illzoni (aka Jon)
2013 Frontier Pro4X
www.illzoni.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm 100% street. W/ ARE bedshell added in, I frequently haul 600-650 lbs in the bed. Installed HD leaf springs from generalspringskc.com, they're rated for 400lbs and I'll say they improved my overall ride quality when it comes to handling and speed bumps/etc...whether loaded or unloaded. These provided 1.5" of rear lift. I've since upgraded to Bilstein 5100s and set the adjustable fronts to 1.5" of lift. My ride quality is even more improved as a result. Win-win!! Ride is NOT jittery at all.

https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/69-285hd.htm

Bit of background:
I was told that airbags (installed at 12k miles on odo) would extend the life of my factory leaf springs, and this just was not the case for my work truck scenario. Rear leaves were 'W' shaped by 30k miles. I chose to retain the airbags w/ the HD leaf packs as they are a great add-on for leveling purposes.

My greatest fear was regretting these mods...and they both (HD leaf springs + Bilstein 5100s) made a quality difference in how my truck performs while providing a competent and planted ride at all speeds.

'15 SV KC, 4.0, 6-sp, 4x2 DD/WT
VTP items = Standard Equipment on SV 6-sp
_________

'00 XE KC, 2.4, 5-sp, 4x2 ~SOLD~
185K miles w/ original factory distributor, U-joints, cats & clutch
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by illzoni View Post
I *have to* sort out the rear, as I can’t tow the trailer as it sits now. So that’s top priority. I guess I just need shocks to go with the new springs?

And for the front, I’d still like to duplicate the current lift, but improve ride quality and suspension travel. What do y’all suggest?

TIA,
Jon
The Alcan springs are on the way. What shocks would you suggest to go with them?
And I have a set of stock shackles (had do get some, as I boogered up the old ones getting them off). Anything else needed for the rear?

I've heard many good things about the MK84s, but they're not an option. What can I do in front that's comparable?

Thx,
Jon

illzoni (aka Jon)
2013 Frontier Pro4X
www.illzoni.com
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

What about Bilstein 6112/5125 shocks?

illzoni (aka Jon)
2013 Frontier Pro4X
www.illzoni.com
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:44 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
They wom’t Improve travel. I know that and questionable about ride quality.
Hope it works out for you.

Window nets. Lowrance gen 5 and Lowrance gen 7 GPS. Kenwood TK-790 vhf radio. PCI intercom.Autometer Elite gauges.Parker Pumper. Mastercraft Pro4 seats. Crowe 5 point harness.SCORE Legal Roll cage.
BTF Fabrication uca, lca arms. BTF axles. Radflo bump stops. Fox 2.5, 8" travel, reservoir shocks(front). 18" Eibach springs. Fox,2.5, 14" travel, 3 valve by pass shocks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:06 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_RUSH View Post
I'm 100% street. W/ ARE bedshell added in, I frequently haul 600-650 lbs in the bed. Installed HD leaf springs from generalspringskc.com, they're rated for 400lbs and I'll say they improved my overall ride quality when it comes to handling and speed bumps/etc...whether loaded or unloaded. These provided 1.5" of rear lift. I've since upgraded to Bilstein 5100s and set the adjustable fronts to 1.5" of lift. My ride quality is even more improved as a result. Win-win!! Ride is NOT jittery at all.

https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/69-285hd.htm

Bit of background:
I was told that airbags (installed at 12k miles on odo) would extend the life of my factory leaf springs, and this just was not the case for my work truck scenario. Rear leaves were 'W' shaped by 30k miles. I chose to retain the airbags w/ the HD leaf packs as they are a great add-on for leveling purposes.

My greatest fear was regretting these mods...and they both (HD leaf springs + Bilstein 5100s) made a quality difference in how my truck performs while providing a competent and planted ride at all speeds.
Remember that the 600-650 lbs are spread over a greater area which distributes the weight evenly. Take that same weight and put it at the very rear if the bed. Big difference. That is where the airbags come into play like you mention. Leveling.

Last edited by whistler; 04-15-2019 at 03:10 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 AM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I would get a weight distributing hitch if you dont already have one. That will level the truck and add weight back on the front tires.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in